Current Mac Mini LPS?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Current Mac Mini LPS?
« on: 27 Oct 2013, 12:22 pm »
What is the model for it?  SR3-12 or SR5?  What is the true amperage rating needed?

Briz Vegas

Re: Current Mac Mini LPS?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2013, 01:14 pm »
That would seem to depend.  I have an SR7 multi rail on order for my MacBook and Weiss INT 202, I know of one other SR7 destined for a 2009 mini. Don't know the detailed specs, I just ordered the SR7 to run the gear I specified.

boblloyd

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2013, 02:05 pm »
That would seem to depend.  I have an SR7 multi rail on order for my MacBook and Weiss INT 202, I know of one other SR7 destined for a 2009 mini. Don't know the detailed specs, I just ordered the SR7 to run the gear I specified.
It certainly depends on what you mean by "needed". You can get excellent results from an SR3, spectacularly better than from the Apple supply. However I've just changed from SR3 to one of the new SR5s, and on my mid-level system it makes quite a difference, though now we are talking about delicate improvements, not in-your-face, but well worth having. If the rest of your system is high-end, it may make sense to go for an even higher current unit; these things are not expensive compared to a Chord Red CD or big Sonus Fabers, for example.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2013, 02:33 pm »
Yes, need, there are needed power requirements (amp rating) for all equipment. 

boblloyd

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2013, 10:01 pm »
I'm not sure what question you are asking. Apple do not specify a maximum current demand for the Mini; they could not know what loads customers might be likely to add on to it. The later Apple external supply is rated at 110w, 18.5 v, and it's not clear how they came to that decision, but  if you are using that as your yardstick you would need an SR7. However, is this relevant? Audio enthusiasts are not typical Apple customers. If you are looking at a PH supply you are presumably interested in audio performance, and here the answer will depend on what sort of system you want to use it with, and what else you need the Mini to do.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2013, 10:08 pm »
Paul,

Please answer the question when you have a chance as we know for certain that there is an amp rating.  This talk above a bit silly for me.   :duh:

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:01 am »
Jason, until Paul replies perhaps hi reply to me can help you.

"I sell the SR5 for the Mac Mini. This is a larger power supply, using the same regulator circuit topology, with a large custom wound 160VA mains transformer and up-rated rectification and regulator output stage. This can be set up for all versions up to 2012. I have not yet had a 2013 version in for modification so I do not know if it still uses 12vdc like the 2010 to 2012 versions of if it has been changed to accommodate the power feed on the thunderbolt connector which I have read is 18vdc @ 10W. This is not conclusive as the 18v may be supplied from an internal step-up regulator. Until I can verify the voltage required I cannot provide you with an SR5 for your Mac. I have searched the internet, and found no information."

"The Mac will require the internal power supply to be removed to allow the external power supply to be connected. Once removed I usually fit a Switchcraft 2.5mm DC Jack socket in the hole left by the removal of the stock power supply AC power inlet. This socket is then hardwired to the motherboard power connector. You could do this yourself if you have suitable DIY computer build knowledge or I can do this for you for £60 including wire and DC socket, plus insured return shipping costs. I can also verify the correct voltage and ensure the power supply external replacement is correctly specified for the 2013 model whilst providing this service. The SR5-** (voltage to be determined) costs £525 with a 160VA mains transformer and the matching OFC DC lead costs £45. There is also an upgrade called CAPBANK6, which is an energy storage capacitor bank that adds to the regulator energy storage. This provides reduced ripple and noise from the rectifiers and reduced RFI from the mains. This is beneficial as it results in a quieter supply."

Also his response to run several pieces of equipment with one power supply;

"This is part of the design process to customise a product to your needs and I would rather that we cover every aspect to ensure the product is correctly specified. It sounds like the SR7EHD Multirail would be the sensible route for your requirements. I designed this power supply as a custom solution for powering a Mac Mini (or PC 12v motherboard, or ATX motherboard with Pico) and a selection of additional equipment or peripherals. There are considerable savings to be made over the purchase of separate power supplies so this may fit your budget.

The main rail is a high power rail for the computer and this can be rated to suit your Mini just like the SR5-12. Up to three additional rails are available for low to medium power use (2 to 3 amps depending on the supply voltage). All the supply rails are galvanically isolated to avoid ground return interactions between each load. Rail two can be 12v @ 2 amps for your exaSound DAC, rail three can be set up for your router and rail four could be set up for your hard drive assuming it has provision for using an external power supply. I will need the power requirements for the router and the hard drive to verify the rails can provide enough power (banks of hard drives can draw significant power).

The cost varies depending on the number of supply rails required. For a single high current rail for Mac or Motherboard the basic cost is £650. Each additional supply rail costs £115. High performance OFC DC leads for the rails cost £45 for the high current rail and £35 for each of the lower power rails. This is a large heavy supply with dimensions of W 224mm, H 120mm and D 340mm. I would need to know the destination address to get shipping quotes. The estimated lead time of 60 to 70 working days is slightly longer than the SR5 as it is a more complicated build. Aside from this the ordering terms I sent in my last PM would apply."

And this;

"The SR5-12 can provide 6.66 amps continuous (80W) and approx 40 amps transient (480W). This means it will run a Mac Mini (2010 onwards), a low power 12v motherboard, a low power ATX motherboard with a Pico PSU or any 12v DAC or Digital Interface that I know of. The SR5 may be marginal powering higher power high spec motherboards with a TPD CPU of greater than 45W or if you intend to do video processing and editing and the SR7EHD would be more suitable for this type of motherboard."

I hope this helps in the mean time.