Bicycling On-the-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1300 on: 30 Jun 2014, 11:48 am »
That color has a purpose. To be as light and fast as possible.  A Rocket ship on 700c.

AB

« Reply #1301 on: 30 Jun 2014, 01:21 pm »
I've negated that no paint lightness a hundred times over already.  :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #1302 on: 30 Jun 2014, 07:12 pm »
There's always inner tube sealer. I don't know how well it works with road bikes but on my mountain bike it's been great. A couple of times I didn't even know I had punctured a tube until a week later when I wanted to ride again. The only downside from my perspective is that the sealant tends to gum up the valve.

I prefer using protective strips. Much less rotational weight too. (I'm cheap - sometimes I'll just line the tires with duct tape!  :o )

Levi

« Reply #1303 on: 8 Aug 2014, 02:03 pm »

New shoes!

jackman

« Reply #1304 on: 8 Aug 2014, 03:56 pm »
Damn, that bike is looking good Levi!  What are those Mad Fibre?  Your bike is way too cool for someone like me to be seen on.  Everyone would point and say, look at the fat dude on the cool fast bike.  At least you are fast and can take advantage of the cool high tech ride. 

I just did RAGBRAI and met some really cool, fast riders, and a lot of fat, nice slow riders.  I'm somewhere in the middle, at the moment.  Looking forward to knocking off a few miles this weekend. 

Are any of you guys on Strava?  Let me know and I'll follow you. 

Levi

« Reply #1305 on: 8 Aug 2014, 05:31 pm »
Thanks Jack. Just ride and don't worry about others think. I knew a local guy who is way over his BMI needless to say he does not ride but he had $60k in his 3 bikes. He has the new Trek Emonda SLR 10 w/ lightweight wheelset, an S-Works Roubaix with same wheelset, and a Lighweight bike! :-). He just like to buy the latest bikes money can buy. We don't judge him for that, instead we encourage him to ride more.

My wheels are Lighweight Meilenstein black edition. ;-). It's luck a good set of speakers.

AB

« Reply #1306 on: 9 Aug 2014, 03:29 am »
Nice.
Are you now done with this bike? What else is there to do? Team bus?  :thumb:

Insure the crap out of it.

My bike just went missing via airline. And my wheels have gone missing via UPS.
I am 7000 miles from home with no bike on a bike trip.

:duh:

Guy 13

« Reply #1307 on: 9 Aug 2014, 03:38 am »

Hi Levi.
Nice bike.
25 years ago I had a bike similar to that one,
but was probably twice the weight, at that time no carbon fiber stuff.
At the time, I've paid 500 $ for it.
One thing I don't like about the new bike generation, is their seat, way too narrow.
I don't know how you find the comfort of such narrow banana like seat?
Other than that, I would sure like to have a bike like that,
but not here on planet Vietnam,
it would get stolen within the first day of ownership.

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam.

Levi

« Reply #1308 on: 9 Aug 2014, 10:14 am »
Thanks guys!  Just keep riding!

LadyDog

« Reply #1309 on: 14 Aug 2014, 06:31 pm »
Sweet wheels Levi.  Please tell me you've seen the tubular light though.  ;)

Levi

« Reply #1310 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:54 am »
Ha ha ha.  It's clincher.  Thanks for the complement.

FireGuy

« Reply #1311 on: 17 Aug 2014, 03:16 pm »
This summer I've decided to abate any effort to run and starting biking again.    I've resurrected my 10 speed with a quasi refirb and it's operating like a champ; smooth and refined.  I originally got this Road Ace  circa 1980.  Everything is original except for the gum walls.  There is a most excellent 4.3 mile bike/walk path that our town installed and you can't get much better in terms of isolation and a near perfect road surface.    I'm rediscovering the biking experience and must say, it's awesome.  No more pounding as it were. 

It's a Maruishi Road Ace 303.  Need to add a few more safety pieces and then it's compete.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #1312 on: 17 Aug 2014, 10:06 pm »
Love classic bikes! Suggest you rotate that front QR skewer, so that the lever is parallel with the fork leg.

This summer I've decided to abate any effort to run and starting biking again.    I've resurrected my 10 speed with a quasi refirb and it's operating like a champ; smooth and refined.  I originally got this Road Ace  circa 1980.  Everything is original except for the gum walls.  There is a most excellent 4.3 mile bike/walk path that our town installed and you can't get much better in terms of isolation and a near perfect road surface.    I'm rediscovering the biking experience and must say, it's awesome.  No more pounding as it were. 

It's a Maruishi Road Ace 303.  Need to add a few more safety pieces and then it's compete.

FireGuy

« Reply #1313 on: 17 Aug 2014, 10:54 pm »
Love classic bikes! Suggest you rotate that front QR skewer, so that the lever is parallel with the fork leg.
Done.  Thanks.  With the right motivation and conditions the Maruishi can motor.

gnuyork

« Reply #1314 on: 21 Aug 2014, 02:08 pm »
My bike:

Custom Columbus steel. I recycled the drivetrain from my circa 2000 Trek to save on costs (It was still in great shape). Added some other nice bits like Thomson stem and post, Deda handlebars, Spinergy Wheels. A little heavier than what I am used to, but a lot nicer ride.

Levi

« Reply #1315 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:33 pm »
Here is a youtube video about using wind tunnel to see if hair on the legs makes a difference.

In the video, the independent variable is the hair on the athlete's legs obviously.  ;-)  Please let me know your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnrE17Jg3I

charmerci

« Reply #1316 on: 7 Oct 2014, 10:19 am »

Levi

« Reply #1317 on: 29 Nov 2014, 03:57 pm »
Updated picture of my system.  That bike looks, sounded so real, and palpable.  ;-)

jackman

« Reply #1318 on: 30 Nov 2014, 03:59 pm »
Levi, that's an amazing center image!  Very lifelike but I suspect it lacks weight...almost weightless in fact!

Odal3

« Reply #1319 on: 30 Nov 2014, 05:32 pm »
Nice! That looks like it added a lot of "power output" to the system!