Selling ZYX R-1000 Airy cartridge

macrojack

• Restricted
Selling ZYX R-1000 Airy cartridge
« on: 10 Jun 2007, 12:35 pm »
I bought this from Mehran of Sorasound about 3 years ago and I would estimate about 100 hours a year of use, maybe less, in a Well-Tempered arm. This cart retailed for $3000 when I bought it. It is very detailed, high compliance and accurate. I'll take $950 and absorb Paypal and U.S. shipping. Other arrangements are negotiable. I'm taking money out of my system. Well-Tempered Reference also for sale. Prefer not to ship table but will negotiate as necessary.

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Selling ZYX R-1000 Airy cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2007, 03:51 am »
No takers? I'm surprised. Very few of you would fail to realize an upgrade by switching to this cartridge.
The Well-Tempered arm is about as low mass and cartridge friendly as anything ever invented. Because of the damping, you can actually drop the arm and it will float down to the record surface.
I'm buying the Zu mod of the Denon DL 103 cart even though I've never heard it. Haven't used the ZYX in 6 months.
I'm trying to sell here rather than help sponsor the evil Audiogon but I do need to sell so if you are thinking about my ZYX, please speak up. Otherwise I'm going to put it up on the evil empire.
I need the money to buy Vinnie's switch box with the battery powered Black Cube on board.

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2007, 04:55 am »
I've heard this cart and it is very, very good.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2007, 12:46 pm »
WOW!!! Is that really a ZYX for sale right here on Audio Circle. Jesus, I've been wanting to buy one of those for ages but the only place to find a used one was on Audiogon where I refuse to do business because they are bad people and I'm highly principled. Now at last my opportunity appears. Getoutamyway. I gotta contact this guy quick before some other bastard gets to my cartridge.

eric the red

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2007, 01:07 pm »
bump :green:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2007, 01:35 pm »
So, what exactly is the difference between this and the 3x-sb.  How many hours of use on this cart?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2007, 01:53 pm »
Woodsyi - I have no idea what they are claiming. From what I understand, the diff between the 100 series and the 1000 series is the cryo treatment. All the series 1, series 2, series 3 stuff eludes me. I liked my cartridge, which I bought on advice from a friend, and I never bothered to delve into the hierarchy or marketing details. I figure that "caveat emptor" would prompt prospective buyers to do their own research anyway, rather than believing anything I might print.

These carts are sold by Sorasound in the U.S. and he appears to be one of the favored Audiogon advertisers. If you want to know more, that might be a good source. Arthur Salvatore (if you can stand him) has also complimented the line. As for other reviewers, I really stopped reading most of the slicks years ago. Maybe Mikey has issued a proclamation vis a vis ZYX.

My own experience showed extreme detail, perfect tonal balance, and scary dynamics. Aside from those attributes, it's really just a cartridge.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2007, 01:56 pm »
ETR - I bumped this because my ad was being trashed as incomplete, unprofessional and positively self-defeating in another thread. I figured a little gratuitous marketing panache would be excused in that context. Sorry if it caused you to grimace.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:21 pm »
I thought it was a funny ploy. :lol:  I have always been curious about ZYX.  You see, I love the sound of Koetsu which should put me in the very opposite camp of ZYX.  I consider my Ruby3 to be my neutral reference but most have said that ZYX line offers the most brutally honest and neutral sound with incredible dynamics.  I am not sure that is my cup of tea but I would like to know what it sounds like in my system.  This hobby can some times be very counter-intuitive and you never know what sound you might hear and like.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:39 pm »
With only 4ohms of DC resistance (for the 0.24mv version that macrojack is selling - dynamics WILL naturally be a strong suit for it)

Is it a ZYX R-1000 Airy 2 or 3?  Does it look like this (borrowed image from another site):

Oh, and please learn to use paragraphs (in your first two posts there were none)...it makes reading so much easier :wink:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2007, 03:02 pm »
I am assuming that this is an MKI which would have no designation.  You know like how the WWI was called the Great War before the second one came along.  So we must now be at MK3 which has the designation Airy 3.  Newer doesn't necessarilly mean better but an MKI would normally be more substantially discounted than an MKIII on account of age and presumed usage. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2007, 03:14 pm »
Look me up on Audiogon. I have 84 transactions - all positive. I'm sure many of you have dealt with me.

My cartridge does look like the one in the photo provided by chair guy. Only difference I see is the number 3.

Woodsyi- I have no idea what a MK 3 sells for. These do not seem to show up used too often. I pulled that $950 price out of my ass figuring used cartridges typically get between 25% and 33% of retail if they are sold in good condition. This one is exactly as it was when I received it.
If you think you might want it, tell me what you think it is worth. I paid $1165 in an auction and was told at the time that I stole it. With that in mind I'm willing to take a loss but I if it gets too cheap, I may as well just keep it as an extra. Let's talk.

Tom Carroll   
970-858-1967
tkse@bresnan.net

hmen

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2007, 03:36 pm »
I pulled that $950 price out of my ass

Now THAT'S Marketing.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2007, 03:44 pm »
Quote from: macrojack
I pulled that $950 price out of my ass

Fabulous - now we're having fun with this one  :thumb:

Hey, if your cartridge doesn't have a '3' in the front, is it then perhaps a ZYX R-1000 Airy 2 or original (as woodsyi points out)?  Does it have original packaging/box, etc?  Does it have manual or instruction booklet with it?

eric the red

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2007, 12:05 am »
ETR - I bumped this because my ad was being trashed as incomplete, unprofessional and positively self-defeating in another thread. I figured a little gratuitous marketing panache would be excused in that context. Sorry if it caused you to grimace.
macrojack-I believe that you have misconstrued the true meaning of my bump (plus I had no idea that the green faced smiley was a grimace as this is a little more grimacey to me than this  :green:. In the immortal words of Foghorn Leghorn:
http://one_foggy.tripod.com/sounds/afu_jokeson.wav

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2007, 02:53 am »
Chair Guy - Have a seat. Listen carefully. It is an Airy. Solamente Airy. No further designation. I'm betting there is half a snort difference from mine to the 3 or 8 or 15 or whatever they are currently hawking as the bestest yet. It does come with all original packaging and manual. I think I can make it look new when I ship it.

I don't have a very steady hand so you'll have to add your own 2 or 3 or whatever if you need a number. Sorry to appear cynical but I've seen this charade from every angle now and can say with certainty that reiteration is usually just done to keep the ball in the air. The reviewers eat it up and many of us are dumb enough to (upgrade) buy the replacement. Naturally there are genuine improvements in a product like the Vandersteen 2 but these do not happen once a year but rather at irregular intervals over the course of many years. I don't think the ZYX miracle improvements should be regarded thusly however. They seem to be happening annually.

When we are done talking about this paltry matter, I stand by my original comment..... Very few of you would fail to realize an upgrade by installing this cartridge. It is very, very good.

And thanks for trying to help me get this sold. Your suggestions have been well reasoned and useful.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2007, 03:14 am »
ETR - I have fond memories of Foghorn Leghorn and I was eager to see what he would offer in the way of advice. Alas, I was told that he is unavailable for download. I imagine Audiogon interfered in some way.

By the way, one and all, I have a number of cheapo cartridges that have never been opened if any of you would rather have something from the bottom of the deck. I know there are Grados (plastic only) and I think there is an Ortofon and a Stanton.
Also have a Cotter step up transformer MK2L for sale. And other goodies. I'm not quiting analog at all but I need to reduce my holdings so as to buy a few other items. I'm currently in the process of buying a Luxman PD 441. Does anyone here know about that turntable? If so, what do you think of it?

eric the red

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2007, 04:05 am »
ETR - I have fond memories of Foghorn Leghorn and I was eager to see what he would offer in the way of advice. Alas, I was told that he is unavailable for download. I imagine Audiogon interfered in some way.
Here's his sitehttp://onefoggy.tripod.com/index.htmlclick on the sounds link and you'll have all the advice you need "It's a joke son, don't ya get it?" :lol: I can't imagine this is helping you sell that cartridge... :green:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2007, 04:05 am »
Chair Guy - Have a seat. Listen carefully. It is an Airy. Solamente Airy. No further designation. I'm betting there is half a snort difference from mine to the 3 or 8 or 15 or whatever they are currently hawking as the bestest yet. It does come with all original packaging and manual. I think I can make it look new when I ship it.

When we are done talking about this paltry matter, I stand by my original comment..... Very few of you would fail to realize an upgrade by installing this cartridge. It is very, very good.

And thanks for trying to help me get this sold. Your suggestions have been well reasoned and useful.

Si, comprendo en todo :wink:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2007, 05:31 pm »
macrojack - why are you at odds with Audiogon?  Selling at $3K cartridge, even at a fine value of $950.00 on AudioCircle is a tough putt. There probably isn't but 1 in 2000 folks that would even consider such a purchase.

As vinylheads are clearly in minority in audiophooldom to begin with, and those willing to spend $950.00 that much rarer...why not put it on A'gon where it might be viewed by more eyes? $6 from $950 seems a small price to pay. 

You'd have the least expensive ZYX Airy listed there today...no bad thing, I'd think, for selling it quickly.

Pride goeth where good sense does not dare tread? :wink:  Been there myself a few times....