FS - VPI Classic 1 in Walnut...comes with JMW10.5i/Classic arm, VPI Wires $SOLD

Sonny

I have a used, but very nice Classic that is in very good condition.  I am currently homeless and can't keep all my gear, so this, unfortunately has to go.  :bawl:
It comes with the aluminum platter, VPI Classic arm and base (VPI copper wires), the VPI alignment jig, Shure stylus force gauge and so forth.
I has been modded to use a Teres strobe, therefore there is a small 1/4" hole in the plinth to accommodate the Teres motor speed sensor.  This is more cosmetic as the whole can't be seen if the platter is on.  Also there is an additional hole on the tonearm mount due to trial of a different tonearm than the Classic.  These are noted and will be priced accordingly.

Here you get a $2750 table with a couple of holes at.....

$SOLD plus shipping!

« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 11:07 pm by Sonny »

watercourse

Bump for a great guy and honest seller! Tuan emphasized the cosmetic issues, but otherwise the table looks and sounds GREAT!

watercourse

Why hasn't someone scooped this up yet?

Sonny

Ok, $SOLD??? :duh:
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 11:08 pm by Sonny »

orthobiz

I have purchased from Sonny and he is the real deal! Somebody please pick this TT up, you will not be sorry!

Paul

Sonny

Thanks Paul!  I hope you are enjoying the tonearm wand and jewelery box!

Domob_in_sf

I assume that this amazing deal has been snagged by some lucky, person, yes?

Sonny

nope still available!

Domob_in_sf

Wow. Argh, now I have to do some thinking. I was going to mod my HW-19 Mk III, but at this price, the Classic becomes an option.

Sonny

Wow. Argh, now I have to do some thinking. I was going to mod my HW-19 Mk III, but at this price, the Classic becomes an option.

I'll tell you what, it's a great table that's for sure.  I just can't justify two! that's all.  having a 21 month old and soon to be (May 15) another one, I barely have time to close my eyes, let alone drop the stylus on two turntables.

t

Domob_in_sf

I just read that Harry tweaked the Classic in 2010 (?). Do you know if this model was before or after those improvements?

Domob_in_sf

Also, I might as well share my deliberation process. My thoughts were sell my HW-19 MK III with SME 309 and get this Classic, or keep my table and do a DIY SAMA with the motor on Isoblocks and sit the plinth on Mapleshade brass footers. This is probably not the right thread to pose this question, but if anyone is out there with an opinion I would love to hear it.

Sonny

I just read that Harry tweaked the Classic in 2010 (?). Do you know if this model was before or after those improvements?

this i don't know, but i can get the serial number when i get home and you can contact VPI to see what the production date was.

Sonny

Also, I might as well share my deliberation process. My thoughts were sell my HW-19 MK III with SME 309 and get this Classic, or keep my table and do a DIY SAMA with the motor on Isoblocks and sit the plinth on Mapleshade brass footers. This is probably not the right thread to pose this question, but if anyone is out there with an opinion I would love to hear it.

don't know how to respond to this, but i found that the motor speed on the Classic to be 'spot' on, according to my digital tactometer. i love the VPI arms, though some here much prefer the SME, it's a matter of taste, etc... but here you get a 10.5 inch arm vs a 9" arm.

t

Domob_in_sf

I had a long chat with Pierre at Mapleshade last night, as he was the one who suggested getting rid of the springs on my table. He is a fan of unipivot arms. I had never before had an accurate understanding of that design and its benefits, but it also intrigues me. Though I am also reluctant to part with the 309, because it is so well engineered.

Sonny

I had a long chat with Pierre at Mapleshade last night, as he was the one who suggested getting rid of the springs on my table. He is a fan of unipivot arms. I had never before had an accurate understanding of that design and its benefits, but it also intrigues me. Though I am also reluctant to part with the 309, because it is so well engineered.

there's a give and take to everything, including suspended or non-suspended.  it depends on your situation and your needs.  the 309 is very nice for sure!  it's been around awhile and it's a great tonearm...

orthobiz

I believe The classic motor runs at 300 rpm. The DIY sama at 600. Buy Sonny's table, sell the mkIII.

Paul

Domob_in_sf

I wasn't going to buy a new motor, just pull the existing one out to iso it. But, yes, Paul, I am leaning that way. Sonny I will PM you with particulars.

hcalland

Hello Sonny

Is you table still available?

Regards

Herb

orthobiz

I wasn't going to buy a new motor, just pull the existing one out to iso it. But, yes, Paul, I am leaning that way. Sonny I will PM you with particulars.

I understand the DIY part, but the actual motor from VPI, the SAMA unit containing that motor, also runs at 600 rpm. So the lower speed motor I believe is supposed to have less noise potential, maybe it even has higher torque? You could actually buy the platter from Sonny but then you need to elevate your tonearm. One way to do that would be to buy a used Super Board, one inch thick acrylic, but you have to ream out a channel to clear the low-lying platter. Or put two regular boards together with a cutout for the platter (it overhangs the board).

Paul