Does Hi Rez necessarily mean low noise?

Big Red Machine

Does Hi Rez necessarily mean low noise?
« on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:50 pm »
I'm breaking in my new amps and finding more and more of my recordings have noise in them.  Between tracks the system is quiet - you have to get up and get your ear close to the tweeters for some slight buzz.

So if I start to move more toward Hi Rez material ( the limits presently set by my EE dac and soon to be employed Touch) do these recordings have less recording noise in the songs themselves?  Cuz it's getting irritating and my large collection is not paying off well I am afraid.

All in FLAC via EAC.

What say you?

martyo

Re: Does Hi Rez necessarily mean low noise?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:57 pm »
Pete, maybe a stupid question but you just added 3 new pieces of gear, or 2 and one newly modded, sure there isn't something there. Just asking.......

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:06 pm »
I am hearing some recording have considerably more noise than others but that most have some noise (during, not between tracks).  I think it is a more revealing system.  For instance, Jim's test tracks are great as they are generally noise-free so they sound stupendous, but most of my transfers elsucko!

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:24 pm »
Ohhhh.  :(

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:53 pm »
The origin of the noise is the original recording, or the subsequent manipulation thereof by the mastering engineer. This is the pitfall of getting a high resolution system. The question is, are you getting increased enjoyment of the music(getting closer to the emotion and intent of the musician(s))? If not, then maybe a high resolution system is not the best match for your taste. It has been my experience that the higher the resolution of the system, the more satisfaction I derive from the music despite the limitations of the source recording.