Abbington Music Research DAC

Audioclyde

Abbington Music Research DAC
« on: 2 Jul 2011, 06:24 pm »
Has anyone had the opportunity to spend some tome listening to the new Abbington Music Research DAC, especially with high rez tracks?

Ted, I know you've eval'd some great DACs, just wondering if you had heard this one?

It's analog inputs/preamp functions are intriguing also......

Thanks in advance for any input.

Randy

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Abbington Music Research DAC
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2011, 06:37 pm »
It just came out.  I mentioned it in my DACs of 2011 thread.  What intrigues me is the dual DAC topology: NOS for redbook, delta sigma for hirez.

Audioclyde

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2011, 06:50 pm »
It was at Axpona in Atlanta in April, and I was there Friday afternoon, but missed it  :cry:!  I've never heard any AMR players, but they seem to be universally described as 'musical' and I'd love to hear this DAC!

zacster

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2011, 09:13 pm »
It was at Axpona in Atlanta in April, and I was there Friday afternoon, but missed it  :cry:!  I've never heard any AMR players, but they seem to be universally described as 'musical' and I'd love to hear this DAC!

How was Axpona?  They were in NY and I thought of going but then saw the price and vendor list and didn't think it was worth it.  The last show I went to was maybe worthwhile to see, but little that I saw sounded any better than what I already have. That may be an exaggeration  but I walked away wanting to just hear my own.

Audioclyde

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2011, 10:29 pm »
Zacster, Axpona was my first audio show, and I only got to spend 1 afternoon there--so there was way too much to see & hear!

That being said I had a great time. Highlights were meeting Danny R., Rich ("HAL") &  (Mach 2), and visiting with them.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2011, 01:28 pm »
No one has mentioned it cuz it is not an Abbington DAC, the subject of this thread.  ?

Ah, I think you meant the 2011 DAC thread.   :)
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2011, 01:29 am by ted_b »

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2011, 01:22 am »
How was Axpona?  They were in NY and I thought of going but then saw the price and vendor list and didn't think it was worth it.  The last show I went to was maybe worthwhile to see, but little that I saw sounded any better than what I already have. That may be an exaggeration  but I walked away wanting to just hear my own.

The AMD is not only a DAC but also a tube preamp.  It was partnered with several other European brands in the Sensorium room at AXPONA NYC.  The show system had a very natural sound which was very appealing.  I covered almost every room in my show report, which should be online sometime next week on stereotimes.com

Paul

Audioclyde

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2011, 01:46 am »
Thanks Paul.  Your reaction seems consistent with everything I read about AMR products--I really want to hear this piece.

Randy

ltr317

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2011, 11:58 pm »
Randy - Here's a link to my Axpona NYC show report: stereotimes.com

The AMD was one of the components used in the Sensorium room.

Paul