First order placed with HDTracks

Brad

First order placed with HDTracks
« on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:49 pm »
Finally got around to buying some HiRez tunes, only 2 weeks after the DAC arrived  :duh:

Appreciate the recommendations found in the circle:
What I got:

Stevie Wonder    Innervisions
Rush                 Moving Pictures  (have now purchased this in vinylx3, cassettex2, cdx2, and now 24/96)
Steely Dan         Gaucho
Esperanza Spalding    Radio Music Society
Triumph             Allied Forces 24/192   (couldn't find any comments on the SQ for this one, but one of my favorite bands/albums, so a must purchase)
Roy Orbison        The Original Sound

For now, using a John Kenny DAC32.   Plan to eventually move over to something DSD-compatible.  Even with SACD, I've found more of a sense of ease/naturalness.   Really liking the JK though, especially with JPLAY in Hibernate/direct/extreme

Brad

Re: First order placed with HDTracks
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:59 pm »
BTW, 1.5GB for a 24/192 album is nuts.....good thing magnetic storage is relatively cheap.
 :D

wisnon

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2012, 02:49 pm »
An SACD iso can be more than 4 Gigs!

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2012, 03:21 pm »
We've got an EMC Ns-502 SAN (30 300GB FC drives, 15 750GB SATA drives)that is cycling to end-of-life here at work. Wonder if I have space for it somewhere at home..... :roll:

bakufu

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2012, 03:35 pm »
i've not been all that happy with hdtracks.

several months ago i purchased the 96/24 version of bill evans' waltz for debby, at that point the highest resolution version of that album hdtracks had for sale.  then a few weeks ago i noticed that they'd released a 192/24 version, and i wrote to inquire whether hdtracks had an "upgrade" program which would allow me to buy the higher res version for the difference in price.  the response from customer service was "no, because they're separate products."

ok, i understand that hdtracks is in the distribution business, and if that's their business model, fine.  but knowing this, i will certainly hesitate to purchase anything from them which isn't 192/24.

my experience with eclassical.com has been much more pleasant.  eclassical offers a full no-questions-asked money-back guarantee on everything you purchase from them, and -- although this shouldn't count for much, but in my case does -- the folks at eclassical are friendly, helpful, and quite obviously committed to their customers in a way hdtracks doesn't appear to be.

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2012, 04:02 pm »
I had an issue with a coupon code that HDTracks resolved pretty quickly, so thumbs up to them for that.

I do wish they would be much more forthcoming about the source of the recording they are selling. :deadhorse:
I'm with Ted_B on this - if the source is PCM, give it to me HiRez PCM, and if it's DSD, give it to me that way.
(Ted - if I'm misinterpreting you, please clarify)
Also, the quality appears to vary widely depending on that source, so I've been doing homework here and on the CA forum on the recordings I'm interested in.

Will take a look at eclassical - thanks for the tip.