Hyperion HT-88 impressions

BearcatSandor

« on: 17 Mar 2006, 08:23 pm »
Hey folks,

I just noticed the link in the 6 Moons review of the Hyperion HT-88s. So i figured i'd hop over and see what you all where up to.

First the sad story, for which i expect lots of sympathy.  In November i had a home fire in which my audio system burned up. I lost my Carver TFM-75 and probably my Definitive BP-2002s. Not "awesome" stuff, but it was my first real system and i still mourned the loss of it.  Even more tragic is the fact that i am listening to music though un-powered computer speakers with 2" drivers.  Female voices make them distort O.o

Now i have fallen in love with SET stuff. I live in Montana, not exactly the hi-fi capitol of the world, and i don't have a lot of opportunity to hear much stuff.  However, i did get to audition the Cary CAD-300sei.  I liked what i heard, but something was missing. The Cary gets mixed reviews and i tended to agree with the mixed feelings.  

So i've been looking at Antique Sound Labs and Jolida and recently discovered the HT-88s.

They look wonderfull (aside from the exposed blue capacitors, what's up with that?! Can i paint them black or cover them?), and have all the features i am looking for.  However, being in the middle of nowhere i have no chance to hear them. My "local" dealer (all the way down in CO doesn't carry them and is trying to drop most of his hi-fi stuff).

Has anyone heard them?  What do you like and not like about them? Obviously, the 6 Moons folks loved them.

How does one expect the HT-845s to sound differnet?  

Why is this the only kt-88 SET i have ever seen?

I'm not sure what speakers i will be going with, but do love the Focal Electra series. I have heard the 1027s with the Cary and it's a nice combo. I tend to listen at low volumes anyway so the HT-88 should do fine.  I'm also considering the Focal Electra 1007 (bookshelves) and the matching subwoofer. I am not set (ha ha) on a pair of speakers though. I can't afford that at the moment anyway.  I'm getting there though. In the mean time, it's possible that my Definitives survived. If not i have the matching bookshelf speakers (BP-2)s to play with. The 18 watts should be enough to drive them, if not to fantastic levels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

Roy S

« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2006, 03:24 pm »
My sincere sympathies.

I have spoken to the guys at Hyperion and they told me that they only have the HT845 in their showrooms as production units will arrive only in Apr.

I heard the HT88 and they have good power for a 18W SE tube amp but the dealer who was at CES told me to wait and hear the HT845 as he thinks that the HT845 outclassed the HT88 in all aspects. That is saying a lot as I concurred with Srajan's review on the HT88 based on my audition experience.

Well, the 845 tube is considered the triode king with 900V on the rails. A tiny signal will create great swings for all the dynamics you would need from a SET.

Btw, there are some SE KT88 based amps on the market - Unison Research, Audiopax, Audion, etc. But only the HT88 is in monoblock design.

BearcatSandor

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2006, 06:08 pm »
Roy,

Thank you for the info.  I am intriqued by the 845 amp to say the least.  Wether is is really that much better (and worth doubling the price for me remains to be seen).

However, the 845 tubes are a magnature more expensive then the kt-88 tubes. I'll just have to wait and see on the reviews (as i probably won't ever get a change to hear them in person).

I think i read that you heard the ht-845s in person. What was your impression of the sound? Are they as attractive as the HT88s (mirrored pairs and all that)?  

April may just be perfect as far as my pocket book is concerned.  I'll have to see.

Randy

Reimer
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2006, 07:17 pm »
Depending on where in MT you live you might be able to get to Cody to listen to Reimer speakers.  They get great reviews.

Who's your CO dealer who is trying to abandon hi fi?  (I live near Casper and get down there occasionally.)

http://www.reimerspeakers.com/windriver.htm

Randy

Reimer
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2006, 07:25 pm »
Depending on where in MT you live you might be able to get to Cody to listen to Reimer speakers.  They get great reviews.

Who's your CO dealer who is trying to abandon hi fi?  (I live near Casper and get down there occasionally.)

http://www.reimerspeakers.com/windriver.htm

Roy S

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2006, 07:09 am »
Quote from: BearcatSandor
Roy,

Thank you for the info.  I am intriqued by the 845 amp to say the least.  Wether is is really that much better (and worth doubling the price for me remains to be seen).

However, the 845 tubes are a magnature more expensive then the kt-88 tubes. I'll just have to wait and see on the reviews (as i probably won't ever get a change to hear them in person).

I think i read that you heard the ht-845s in person. What was your impression of the sound? Are they as attractive as the HT88s (mirrored pair ...

No, I've not heard the 845s but the dealer did at the last CES. The outlook is almost identical to the HT88 according to him.

Cheers

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2006, 02:05 am »
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been on this board for awhile.  I'm horrendously busy studying for an accreditation test that's required after four years of training.

Welcome BearcatSandor. I heard the HT88 briefly at the HES in New York last year.  There is synergy between the amp and 938s - liquid, lively, detailed, very open sounding amp.  And I was surprised that 18 watts could drive the 938s to loud levels.  But that low end punch is not as solid as their SS amps.  If vocals are your deal, I imagine these amps with their tube preamp would be what you're looking for.   If you really do want to year the HT88 or 845 (when available), Albert Wu of Hyperion may actually send you a pair for you to evaluate in home before you buy.  He only does this for customers who don't have a dealer near them.  I would email Albert and see if he still does this.  Good luck.

Thanks gang for keeping this board useful.

Dracule

BearcatSandor

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2006, 08:32 pm »
I had forgotten to check back with this board!

Thanx for the info Dracule1, i'll be sure to contact Albert when i'm ready to make a purchase.

Randy,
the CO dealer i was talking to was:
 Colorado Audiophile Sound & Design
Elizabeth, CO
Tel: (303) 646-8852    Cellular: (303) 877-9567

He had some amazing deals on some hi-fi equipment. He was nice to talk to and we chatted for some time.

Bullitt Beast

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2006, 07:50 pm »
I actually demo'd the 938's this morning along with the HT88's. They sounded really well. I listened to several different types of my own music just to get a feel for how they could handle everything. Over all I thought they sounded really good. This was in a smallish size demo room so the speakers couldn't really breath but still sounded good for the size of the room.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2006, 05:20 am »
Hi Bullitt Beast,

I had similar experience as you with the 938s in a small room (ie, hotel room at last year's Stereophile HE Show in NYC).  In small rooms, they can sound somewhat constricted, but in a moderately sized room, they sound like different speakers - goes from good to unbelievably excedllent!  You should really check if the dealer is willing to setup these in a larger room, hopefully with some good room treatments.

H_S_D

HT88
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2006, 06:13 am »
Dear BearcatSandor,

We are sorry to hear your story.  Please let us know how we can do to help you.  Do you mind telling me where you live?  Thanks.

H_S_D