Russ L

« on: 23 Nov 2005, 01:54 am »
Hi everyone- Well I've been watching this circle for some time and this past Sunday made the leap to become an official member.  On Sunday I took delivery of a pair of 938W's, along with Hyperion's solid state preamp and solid state monoblocks.

I went the solid state route because my rack is on the side of the room, with (only) the two monoblocks up front between the speakers.  I felt that the output impedance of the tube preamp would be too high to drive 12 feet of cable.

However, I recently heard the standard 938s with Hyperion's tube preamp AND the new tube monoblocks.  Incredible sound, maybe the best I've ever heard!!

Well I have a lot of sorting out to do, hopefully I can contribute soon.

Russ :D

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2005, 04:09 am »
Welcome aboard Russ!  Yes, the tube monos are very impressive - I really enjoyed the sound when I heard them at the NY Show.  The only reservation I've had was the limit on ultimate loudness - I like to listen to full orchestral music and organ pieces at full volume once in awhile.  If you decide on the tube monos, you can run the bass module with SS monos and the midrange/tweeter modules with the tubes. It'll take some work to match the levels, but imagine the sound.  Will be looking forward to hear from you as your system evolves.