4BSST

steviea

4BSST
« on: 18 Mar 2018, 07:49 pm »
Hello everyone, glad to be a member. I just recently inherited my dads Bryston 4BSST and need some help with the hookups of the following components;  Bryston 4BSST, Tube Audio Design TAD150 Preamp, Linn Classik Music (CD & Radio) and Sony 6750 Turntable. Can someone please help with the install of the interconnects (unbalanced) so everything is hooked up properly. The preamp has phono, aux 2, aux 1 inputs and CD  audio in and A&B Line outs. The Linn Classik has aux1, tape 1 and tape 2 inputs with tape 2 and Preamp outputs. The Sony 6750 turntable has the standard RCA hookups. The 4BSST has both balanced and unbalanced inputs. I will be using the single ended input (unbalanced). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, should I use the Bryston 4BSST speaker terminals or the Linn Classik speaker terminals? I apologize if this is the wrong area to be asking for help, being new to the forum didn't know where to post. Steve

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: 4BSST
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2018, 08:13 pm »
Welcome aboard Steve :thumb:
The connections are quite simple:
You will connect the TAD preamp RCA outputs into the Bryston input-RCA.
Turntable in to TAD preamp-phono input.
CD player in to TAD preamp- CD input.
Radio in to TAD preamp(AUX).
Must power off all equips before conencting them.
Hello everyone, glad to be a member. I just recently inherited my dads Bryston 4BSST and need some help with the hookups of the following components;  Bryston 4BSST, Tube Audio Design TAD150 Preamp, Linn Classik Music (CD & Radio) and Sony 6750 Turntable. Can someone please help with the install of the interconnects (unbalanced) so everything is hooked up properly. The preamp has phono, aux 2, aux 1 inputs and CD  audio in and A&B Line outs. The Linn Classik has aux1, tape 1 and tape 2 inputs with tape 2 and Preamp outputs. The Sony 6750 turntable has the standard RCA hookups. The 4BSST has both balanced and unbalanced inputs. I will be using the single ended input (unbalanced). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, should I use the Bryston 4BSST speaker terminals or the Linn Classik speaker terminals? I apologize if this is the wrong area to be asking for help, being new to the forum didn't know where to post. Steve

steviea

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2018, 08:49 pm »
Thanks, for the quick input. You will forgive me if some of these questions sound stupid but just getting back into audio and don't want to screw anything up. On the preamp there are both A&B outputs with both sides being marked left and right. I'm using the A side. Does it matter with the red and black interconnects what input side is used on the back of the 4BSST?  On the Linn Classik an audio guy where I get my components serviced mentioned using the Tape Out port on the Linn Classik going back to the CD input on the preamp thus avoiding some gain issue I think. I didn't completely understand what he was talking about. Maybe you can help clarify. Last, should I use the speaker terminals on the Linn Classik or the Bryston 4BSST? Right now I'm using the Linn Classik speaker terminals with Linn speaker wire with neutrik fittings.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2018, 08:58 pm »
Welcome!

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2018, 09:01 pm »
Yes it matters what input side.  Basically with the front of the amp facing you, the speaker and rca inputs of the amp (4BSST) should go to the same side as the speakers (assuming you take the left and right output of the preamp in the same manner).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2018, 09:02 pm »
You only want to use the Classik as a CD player, not as an amp or a preamp (trust me, the TAD150 & 4BSST are better).  So, you only hook up the Classik "Tape Out 1" to the TAD150 "CD Audio Input".

Next, connect the TAD150 Line Out A (Left) to the 4BSST Left input.  And connect the TAD150 Line Out A (Right) output to the 4BSST Right Input. 

Then connect the speaker wire from the 4BSST to the Speakers. 

Done.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2018, 09:06 pm »
Thanks, for the quick input. You will forgive me if some of these questions sound stupid but just getting back into audio and don't want to screw anything up. On the preamp there are both A&B outputs with both sides being marked left and right. I'm using the A side. Does it matter with the red and black interconnects what input side is used on the back of the 4BSST?  On the Linn Classik an audio guy where I get my components serviced mentioned using the Tape Out port on the Linn Classik going back to the CD input on the preamp thus avoiding some gain issue I think. I didn't completely understand what he was talking about. Maybe you can help clarify. Last, should I use the speaker terminals on the Linn Classik or the Bryston 4BSST? Right now I'm using the Linn Classik speaker terminals with Linn speaker wire with neutrik fittings.

Does it matter with the red and black interconnects what input side is used on the back of the 4BSST?
The preamp is that in this image below? If so use any A or B(vertical).
If you use, say Red to Left and Black to Right you must keep the same colours code in the Bryston(Red to Left and Black to Right).

steviea

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2018, 02:33 pm »
Thanks,to everyone for all their help. Again,happy to join the circle. Now just have to find some mint Stones and Beatle recordings.