25yr hiatus

840wolf

25yr hiatus
« on: 16 Feb 2018, 09:08 am »
Hello everyone, after 25 years of having my audio system packed up and not used, I thought I was safe and out of having the audiophile itch, I went to TAVES, out of curiosity, 2 years ago, and the sound I was hearing in the demo rooms, exquisite, the itch slowly came back, although I don't think it really leaves someone once he or she has experienced "high end" sound. So, bottom line. I think I'm hooked, again. I have some unpacking to do, setting up, and assessing what I have and what I will need to replace. Fun.

charmerci

Re: 25yr hiatus
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2018, 09:36 am »
If your electronics have not been used in 25 years, be careful. Something can easily blow up/get damaged. All electronics firms have a Variac to slowly add voltage so if something goes wrong, the rest of the equipment isn't damaged.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2018, 10:09 am »
Everything charmer said goes double if the electronics in question are tube. Bringing them up slowly on a variac is highly advisable, but even if no problems surface during that process, I'd still have them checked out thoroughly. Go ahead and buy some DeOxIt now LOL. Curious what the pieces in question are.

Anyhoo, welcome to the sweet spot.

840wolf

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2018, 11:18 am »
Very true Charmer and dB. Tubes is  what I have, Audio Research D115 and SP14 Mark2. Apogee stages and B&K solid state amp for the lower frequencies. Plus a 35 year old pair of B&W 802s ,i just couldn't part with those,which is what I started out with driven by Bryston electronics before they came out with their 20yr warranty.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2018, 01:07 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, 840wolf.  I'll confirm what charmerci and dB Cooper said.  Most likely will be dried up electrolytic caps in the power supply, and in other parts of the circuit.  You should definitely consider taking them to a tech and have them thoroughly checked out.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2018, 01:33 pm »
Caps age, knobs/sliders get corroded/dirty, speaker surrounds can rot.  Proceed with care.

You've got good stuff, have a good shop give it the once over. 

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2018, 03:08 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2018, 05:28 pm »
Welcome aboard Wolf :thumb:
Iam in a similar situation, I have a Carver Amazing Silver Ed sored in my bed room since 31Mar1993 due small room, its not a good think.