First post

First post
« on: 26 Sep 2017, 12:56 am »
Years ago when I was in the industry I enjoyed gear like Quad ESL-63, SOTA, Audio Research, and so on.

My second career has been as an orchestra teacher who spends much more time with real instruments than with the sounds of recordings.

Now as I approach retirement I'm getting back into audio a bit and look forward to learning a few things here and perhaps joining the conversation from time to time.

My current system is simple but satisfying.

NAD 516BEE CD player used as a transport
Emotiva CD-1 used as a DAC and preamplifier
Electron Kinetics Eagle 2 amplifier with two 100,000 pF capacitors in the upgraded power supply
Vandersteen 2C loudspeakers on lead-filled steel stands, refurbished at the factory about 15 years ago
10-gauge speaker wire

Lots of CDs with a focus on Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Beethoven, and jazz from the 50s and early 60s.

« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2017, 02:36 pm by 006.9 »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: First post
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2017, 02:44 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC 006.9   :thumb: 

Mr Peabody

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2017, 01:16 pm »
Welcome.

I wonder about the older Jazz and Classical music, how it will carry on.  I suppose it has thus far but it seems only exposure is school or later word of mouth.  I was amazed and happy when one of my daughters in elementary school came home and was asking me if I knew who Scott Joplin was.  Her music teacher was teaching the class about some of the older great musicians.  If given the direction though kids today have better sources like the internet to listen to some of those things.  That's typically what Ido, if I hear of someone I'm not familiar with I'll check Wikipedia and then hit YouTube for some samples.  Then if I find what I like I will buy it.

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2017, 01:27 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  I hope you will find time to continue music making or conducting after retirement. Nice system!

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2017, 01:40 pm »
Welcome.

I wonder about the older Jazz and Classical music, how it will carry on.  I suppose it has thus far but it seems only exposure is school or later word of mouth.  I was amazed and happy when one of my daughters in elementary school came home and was asking me if I knew who Scott Joplin was.  Her music teacher was teaching the class about some of the older great musicians.  If given the direction though kids today have better sources like the internet to listen to some of those things.  That's typically what Ido, if I hear of someone I'm not familiar with I'll check Wikipedia and then hit YouTube for some samples.  Then if I find what I like I will buy it.
I have dedicated my life to keeping the flame alive, but I think it has become a lost cause. Everywhere I look the evidence is overwhelming. Sales of recorded music in the classical and jazz genres are at an all time low and dropping. College dorms are silent--music is now a personal, individual ear-bud thing and has lost almost all of its communal power. Our entire society has now relegated all music from before 1955 to the dustbin. I've been teaching so long that I'm now teaching the students of parents I taught, and the thing common to all the households my students are growing up in is that there is no music from before 1955 anywhere in their homes or lives except in my classroom, and all remaining music is ear-bud personal.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2017, 01:53 pm »
Welcome!

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2017, 07:11 pm »
Welcome to AC, 006.9.  We join you in commiserating this sad development.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2017, 07:31 pm »
The violence that was previously only in the movies now infected the ''music'' that the teens listen, more iphones and social nets and we have the present situation.
Maybe was that Roger Waters referred in Welcome to the Machine.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2017, 10:23 pm »
I have dedicated my life to keeping the flame alive, but I think it has become a lost cause. Everywhere I look the evidence is overwhelming. Sales of recorded music in the classical and jazz genres are at an all time low and dropping. College dorms are silent--music is now a personal, individual ear-bud thing and has lost almost all of its communal power. Our entire society has now relegated all music from before 1955 to the dustbin. I've been teaching so long that I'm now teaching the students of parents I taught, and the thing common to all the households my students are growing up in is that there is no music from before 1955 anywhere in their homes or lives except in my classroom, and all remaining music is ear-bud personal.
Firstly, welcome to Audiocircle, aka the Sweet Spot. Your music background probably helps you sort out the often outlandish claims made about (insert topic here). We should all hear more live music; especially to raise the communal aspect.

Nothing against earbuds per se, but your point is well taken... I was exposed to quality audio when I was 14 and had my own Dynakit system after a year of allowance-saving and lawn cutting. By college, all my friends had component systems. We used to listen in large groups; there was always music. Today, almost none of the people I know in that age group have component systems, but some do have 'smart speakers'. It's damned hard to find a counterpart to that 1971 $330 system today, but it gave me good music for almost ten years, until I had my first round of upgraditis.

Scant comfort, but sales of recorded music media of all genres are sinking. Streaming, from which the artists and songwriters (except at the highest level) make almost nothing, is the new normal. This is another reason it's important to support live music.

I have rediscovered classical and orchestral music as I've gotten older but mainly favor late 19th century and onward. Do like Bach though.

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2017, 11:47 pm »
I have rediscovered classical and orchestral music as I've gotten older but mainly favor late 19th century and onward. Do like Bach though.

Any friend of Bach is a friend of mine.

A Beatles binge, if you listen to everything they ever recorded, will take you under 11 hours. A Bach binge, if you listen to just one recording of everything that isn't lost, will take you over 200. I have a master's degree in music history and have been a great lover of Bach for over 40 years, and I still haven't listened to everything.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2017, 03:11 am »
I'm certainly not a Bach expert, I read how he composed some of his music mathematically and inversed parts, my paraphrasing doesn't do it justice, it was really interesting, especially that it actually worked.

Some of my favorite Classical is Baroque and Concertos.  Full Symphony has to keep moving or have something to keep my attention.  I also really favor Russian composers.  Probably has something to do with the keeping my attention thing, or, my foundation for my music collection is still Rock.

I am going back and discovering many of the classic Jazz artists.  Not so hard once you discover they all mostly played on each others albums. 

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2017, 02:20 pm »
I'm not a Bach expert either but I'm definitely a Bach lover! His musical world is so deep and beautiful!