TNT Big Fun Box

miklorsmith

TNT Big Fun Box
« on: 12 Nov 2007, 10:32 pm »
This is where it all started for me, to have something I could use with a Clari-T I had to buy.  Here's the original recipe:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bfb_e.html

As a starting point, Google tells me 45 liters = 1.6 cubic feet, or about 2,765 cubic inches which translates to a 14" cube.  Of course, don't build a cube but that gives an idea.

I think they are most un-boxy sounding and tremendously dynamic.  They aren't the last word in sparkle or subterranean bass but they are surprisingly adept at both ends and are not outclassed in my Altmann/Lamm/RWA setup.

I built mine with a slanted front baffle which was a pain to build but works great to utilize floor reinforcement in the bass and still "aim" the driver at the listener.

They are ugly critters but solid as a tank.  I stuffed the box around the driver to further minimize back wave energy.  I have speaker wires soldered directly to the driver, so it's amp-direct - no interceding anything.

Let's say I have the utmost respect for real cabinet guys.

This photo shows with the Fostex 206E which was recently replaced by a used, first-gen Omega driver.  I picked mine up used.  I asked Louis a while back if I could buy some from him, but he said the drivers were OEM only.  So, I'm not sure what the best driver option would be.  That would be a beneficial direction for this thread to take.

Anybody interested in the single driver idea wanting to try it out, I wholly recommend this as a starting point.  In fact, that's exactly what I did with these very boxes.  These speakers changed everything for me.  Since building these, I abandoned my previous direction.  What these do well, namely micro- and macrodynamics, big time instrumental tone, and coherency are the stuff music is made of.

A sheet of mdf or plywood, a little sweat equity and a pair of drivers and that's it - they punch WAY above their price class.

« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 03:05 pm by miklorsmith »

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: TNT Big Fun Box
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2007, 11:08 pm »
Cool neat Thanks I knew that was not the right place to start a discussion on the BFB but it caught my eye and box volume and liter measurement are all Greek to me for some reason

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: TNT Big Fun Box
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2007, 09:53 am »
Thanks for posting.  I had BFB mixed up with a huge box.  Sloping the baffle also minimizes direct reflections of the backwave back through the cone.  Nice use of front port and floor/wall reinforcement for extra bass.

The common conception is that low Qts drivers aren't supposed to work well in sealed/ported designs, but I've heard a couple and liked them well enough.  In particular I recall a small (0.75 cu. ft) sealed speaker using the FE206E that integrated very well with a sub.