Bandor 50mm

Ed Schilling

Re: Bandor 50mm
« Reply #20 on: 7 Nov 2007, 05:14 am »
Jim,
They are worth the effort to track down. I used to call Doreen since I did not have Email and I'm pretty sure she didn't either back then. The phone cost a fortune too! I've not been in contact with her for years now and I see on the web site her son's name. I felt honored each time I spoke with her, I couldn't believe she'd take the time for a nobody like me over a couple drivers.

I'd suggest keep trying. 61 Pounds seems OK for what they are, which is spectacular....just keep in mind, Metallica at 100db isn't likely! But at sane levels and with a good sub they are magic. Even though they can and maybe should be run with no xover having them roll of below 50-100 will help the lowish SPL limit a lot. As one might expect.

I'm glad Henry is playing the ones I had. One thing is for sure....they don't require a fancy enclosure. Cutting the hole is tough...not much wiggle room.

Ed

inrank

« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2007, 03:10 pm »
i have been listening to them in a normal manner recently, with them placed on the end of the desk (below where they are now) and they do sound lovely, i think if i have time to make a proper enclosure, these will make brilliant mini mini monitors  :D

jrebman

« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2007, 12:53 pm »
Ed,

Got your message from the other day, and, and I'll be on the lookout for that.  Sorry for the late reply, but I've been a bit under the weather this past week or so.

I'll give you a call when I'm feeling a bit better.

Thanks,

Jim

jrebman

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:49 am »
Thanks to Ed, I now have a pair of 16 ohm Bandors in my possession, in need of some cleaning, but otherwise seem to be ok, but I won't know for sure until I can play them on something.  Very nicely made little things.  Quite sturdy and hefty for their size.

Does anybody happen to know what the surround is made of?  I have some very nice rubber restoration/preservative goop I use for belts and pinch rollers on my R2R decks, and it might work very nicely to clean up the surround with.

I still don't know when I'm going to actually be able to build even a minimal enclosure for them, but I'll definitely let people know when I do.

-- Jim

Ed Schilling

« Reply #24 on: 28 Nov 2007, 04:36 am »
Jim,
 It's rubber and don't use anything on them! Damp cloth only, with maybe, and I mean maybe a LITTLE Formula 409 or something like it on the cloth along with the damp....

What you see on them is just storage dust from being uncovered and face up for a couple years (5?). If it weren't for my silly notion that a serious Hi Fi should be able to make 100db peaks at the listening spot when required I'd still be listening to them. But for me, no matter how sweet a system "sounds" if it can't play all types of music at the levels needed I'm just not interested or impressed. But I still love those little things, which is why You have them...they deserve a good home and to be played. BTW, violins sounded particularly real through them
Have fun.
Ed

jrebman

« Reply #25 on: 28 Nov 2007, 08:37 pm »
Ed,

Again, I really appreciate it and will try to come up with something "interesting" for them :-).

Thanks much,

Jim

Ed Schilling

« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2007, 02:12 pm »
Jim,
You are quite welcome. Let me give you a hint....just build the sealed box. Trust me, I used them in every way you can imagine and in some ways I'd not even admit to! They NEED the "air spring" made by the small box. They will not sound better in anything else....different maybe, better, NO.
Ed

HT cOz

« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2007, 02:27 pm »
Hey Ed,

Having read this thread, I understand why you love the horns.  But not everyone is looking for 100+db from their system.  Why not add a little buddy bandor to your line up?  Maybe with a cube in the base?

Thanks,
Robert

Ed Schilling

« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2007, 11:02 pm »
Robert,
It's dynamics. A system with limited spl (or efficiency) will have limited dynamics.  I don't have any interest in building what I consider speakers that are too compromised nor do I build them just to make a buck. If I did I'd have done it years ago.

As to 100+ db.....like I said before....a system MUST be able to reach that level at the listening spot and if it can't how in the world would one expect it to sound anything like "live or real" with any recording? The ability to easily play that level (>100dB) has nothing to do with the level one listens at.

You wouldn't want a car that could only go 70mph or one that took all day to get there so why would one have any interest in a stereo that when someone comes by and says "can you play the Blue Man Group" and you do, and they say, can you cut it up and you say "no, there is too much bass for my single drivers to play loud". They go "oh". And think to them self "what a piece of junk".

My system with any amp I own does not have that problem. And the Bandors do not sound significantly better at low volumes to make them practical as far as I am concerned. All that said...they are magic when in the sweet spot..say with girls playing acoustic guitars, like most other single driver systems. I'd be embarrassed if my system could not play BOC (Blue Oyster Cult) at concert levels....Hell, my system 20 years ago could............and I ain't goin' backwards.

Hope this helps a little.
Ed

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2007, 01:16 am »
You wouldn't want a car that could only go 70mph or one that took all day to get there

I would!  That would have spared me many little chit chats with the police and a few pointless conversations with judges.

Robert,

This is Ed's way of gracefully giving you permission to go ahead and make a name for yourself.  He's right about dynamics.  But just think of all the happy quad ESL owners out there, not to mention all the other fans of electrostats.

John

Ed Schilling

« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2007, 03:01 am »
John,
That was funny! You are right about the Quads and I agree there are lots of speakers with limited dynamics that sound good, Hell, my favorite one compared to many speakers fits that description! But as far as a single driver speaker goes they do OK and a lot better than most! As always my opinions are just that! And make no mistake, I really did love those Bandors but I never listened to them and they needed a good home and to be loved by someone else.
Ed