Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Sonicjoy

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #160 on: 24 Apr 2020, 01:49 pm »
The monitors are 15.5 inches deep, 18 inches tall and 8.5 inches wide. They weigh about 30 lbs each.

As far as up grades all that is earlier in this thread. The copper bypass caps are now standard in the kits. The kit come with the cabinet plans.

This is the speaker Danny has for desk top use: http://gr-research.com/lgk10kit.aspx

Congratulations on ordering the kit!  :thumb:

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #161 on: 24 Apr 2020, 02:08 pm »
Damn! Don't you hate when life gets in the way of your hobbies?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #162 on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:59 pm »
Yeahhh it suuucks rn.. but I'll build these speakers yet!  :thumb:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #163 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:24 am »
Don't wish to hijack but where is this kit on GR-Research website? Looks very interesting for my Den  :wink:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #164 on: 29 Apr 2020, 01:05 am »
Hi Michael.

They are not on the website yet. Several of his designs are not on there. Danny says he is working on a new web site (in your spare time right Danny?  :wink:) Give him a call and he will fix you up.

uncola

« Reply #165 on: 29 Apr 2020, 01:06 am »
It's not on the web site.  You have to email or call  grs

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #166 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:25 am »
Hey, thanks guys. Appreciate that.  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #167 on: 30 Apr 2020, 01:46 pm »
Hi Michael.

They are not on the website yet. Several of his designs are not on there. Danny says he is working on a new web site (in your spare time right Danny?  :wink:) Give him a call and he will fix you up.

I have a guy working on it.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #168 on: 30 Apr 2020, 01:55 pm »
That's great Danny! One thing I personally would like to see on it is a listing of all the speaker designs past and present that you have made. Maybe an archive's page of older models with a photo of each just so we can have a reference of what is out there. I keep coming across models that I have not seen before popping up in threads.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Captainhemo

« Reply #169 on: 30 Apr 2020, 06:19 pm »
Not everything is here but it is a start
http://gr-research.com/archivedmodels.aspx

jay

Sonicjoy

« Reply #170 on: 1 May 2020, 01:12 pm »
Thanks Jay. I haven't seen that before either. Should be a sticky.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #171 on: 1 May 2020, 01:52 pm »
Well it's finally time for me to say goodbye to these wonderful speakers.  :cry: I'm leaving tomorrow morning to deliver my dads new system to him. Everything is all packed up and ready to go.
This has been a very enjoyable build and an eye opening experience for me. I would not have believed that a DYI speaker kit could be a true world class loudspeakers. I am now a believer!

Here are a couple of parting shots:

This is how I was using them for most of the time I had them in my system, with the Vandersteen subs. A very nice combo!

Here are the big EP's ready to go back in their place.(without the subs)

To anyone thinking about building these. You will not be disappointed! Highly recommended!  :thumb:

Test4echo

« Reply #172 on: 1 May 2020, 02:12 pm »
Well it's finally time for me to say goodbye to these wonderful speakers.  :cry: I'm leaving tomorrow morning to deliver my dads new system to him. Everything is all packed up and ready to go.
This has been a very enjoyable build and an eye opening experience for me. I would not have believed that a DYI speaker kit could be a true world class loudspeakers. I am now a believer!

Here are a couple of parting shots:

This is how I was using them for most of the time I had them in my system, with the Vandersteen subs. A very nice combo!

Here are the big EP's ready to go back in their place.(without the subs)

To anyone thinking about building these. You will not be disappointed! Highly recommended!  :thumb:

Thank You Sonicjoy!

This was a fantastic thread to read. Awesome information.

Do you think 3 of these across the front would also be a good HT solution as well? Or would these require a different MTM type center?

What's the cost on this kit?

Thanks!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #173 on: 1 May 2020, 02:38 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it.  :D

This is a home theater, just a two channel theater. There is a motorized screen that drops down. See photo earlier in the thread. I do not need or want surround sound. The imaging with really good equipment is so good that I don't miss surround sound. Been there done that. It's a lot of extra cost and complexity that I just don't want. That said I can not say weather they would make good center channel speakers as I have not tried it. Maybe Danny can answer that.

Test4echo

« Reply #174 on: 1 May 2020, 02:56 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it.  :D

This is a home theater, just a two channel theater. There is a motorized screen that drops down. See photo earlier in the thread. I do not need or want surround sound. The imaging with really good equipment is so good that I don't miss surround sound. Been there done that. It's a lot of extra cost and complexity that I just don't want. That said I can not say weather they would make good center channel speakers as I have not tried it. Maybe Danny can answer that.

I completely understand! I feel the same way sometimes.  :green:

I saw in another thread just now,  the Kit price. These might be the way to go once I find out if a 3rd one can be bought on its own and if it would work as a center channel.

I've always read that the ideal center channel would be identical to the mains, so if that holds true the yea, these might be the ticket.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #175 on: 1 May 2020, 04:01 pm »
When it comes to the center channel, why not use the 16ohm M165NQ/16 Woofers on either side of the OB tweeter?
Of course it would require a custom horizontal front baffle, but the idea sounds plausible. Kinda like a smaller 2-way X-Voce?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #176 on: 2 May 2020, 12:33 am »
I'm sure Danny will sell you whatever you want. This is DYI after all. You could buy five and do a whole surround sound set up. The Studio Monitors image so well especially when pulled out into the room 3 feet or more that the imaging regularly trips me out! I hear sounds behind me quite often and sounds seem to be coming from outside the house. Mainly talking about TV watching and movies. The phantom center image follows the action back and forth very convincingly, better than a center speaker more often than not.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #177 on: 2 May 2020, 03:34 am »
I'm sure Danny will sell you whatever you want. This is DYI after all. You could buy five and do a whole surround sound set up. The Studio Monitors image so well especially when pulled out into the room 3 feet or more that the imaging regularly trips me out! I hear sounds behind me quite often and sounds seem to be coming from outside the house. Mainly talking about TV watching and movies. The phantom center image follows the action back and forth very convincingly, better than a center speaker more often than not.

I find this is also the case with my NX-Otica MTMs and a phantom center. If the person speaking is in the center of the screen, the sound seems to come from the center, if they are off to the left or right the sound moves with them. I like this a lot. It is more like watching a play instead of a movie.

pankon

« Reply #178 on: 2 May 2020, 09:25 am »
... If you can raise them up off the desk top it will help as will moving them away from the wall as far as possible. Moving them away from the room boundaries (including desk top/floor) will improve imaging, sound stage and tonal performance. (That goes for most speakers.)

If one has not experienced nearfield listening (with the proper type of speakers), I can assure that they should expect a surprise. And it’s a no-cost experiment. If you do not like it, you can reverse it with no problem at all.  IMO really worth trying.  I have been converted... -)))
« Last Edit: 3 May 2020, 03:21 pm by pankon »

pankon