What to do to prevent Slimserver from timing out?

Big Red Machine

What to do to prevent Slimserver from timing out?
« on: 3 Jan 2008, 08:37 pm »
Still burning CD's to my hard drive.  But playing with the SB last night it timed out on most songs sometimes after 10 seconds, sometimes after half the song.  Any idea on how to prevent that?  Sounds like a buffer issue.

Dedicated laptop and HD thru a DAC to the preamp.

Pete

mcgsxr

Re: What to do to prevent Slimserver from timing out?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2008, 09:01 pm »
Are you streaming FLAC, or WAV?  I found when I was reading FLAC, and then converting and streaming WAV, I had drop out issues.  By changing the server settings to FLAC streaming, it does not happen in my config.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2008, 10:01 pm »
Slim server will also time out if the machine is busy. If it's trying to scan your library it beats up the CPU and will cause time outs. Make sure nothing else is hogging the CPU on the box.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2008, 10:34 pm »
Not sure if this is related or not. But regarding the buffer issue, I had an interesting experience the other night. I restarted the PC and the SB3 never missed a beat!  :scratch:
I thought for sure it would stop playing. If the SB buffer is large enough to tolorate a shutdown and reboot, I'd think something has to be VERY busy for yours to drop out for no apparent reason.

Bob

---Windows XP SP2 - Wireless SB3, dial-up internet, WMP11(lossless).

yooper

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2008, 11:56 pm »
Hi Pete,

I have a couple thoughts that may be causing your issue.  If you are using the SB3 wirelessly, it could be as simple a a congested network because of neighbors, or perhaps there is an issue with your network or router.  You may want to try a different channel through your wireless router and see if that helps.

Another possibility, the CPU may be spiking for various reasons.  Were you ripping music when you noticed the disconnects, or is your laptop running other programs in the background?  Maybe even a driver issue.  You may want to monitor your CPU usage (via windows or an external program) while playing, ripping, etc. and see if you can duplicate the timeout and see what the cpu monitor has to say.

I have been using my Transporter for a better part of a year, and have become fairly proficient with the software, plugins, setup, tagging, etc.  I would be glad to help with any questions you may have.  PM me if you would like, and we can talk on the phone. 

Take care,

Mark

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2008, 02:12 am »
I'm running this wired right to the laptop and no other programs are running and I'm not ripping, just trying to listen.  Isn't there some setting for the player's buffer or something I should look at?

It is very random on which song it pukes on and how far in it does.

I'll try to get on the SLimserver forum and ask there. :duh:

Gaara

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2008, 02:28 am »
Big Red, you could try changing the server priority to a higher level.  It is under the Performance section of the Server Settings section of SlimServer.  There are a few more settings you could try in that menu if that doesn't work.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2008, 09:54 pm »
Big Red, you could try changing the server priority to a higher level.  It is under the Performance section of the Server Settings section of SlimServer.  There are a few more settings you could try in that menu if that doesn't work.

Thanks.

I disconnected it and set up the wireless to my laptop and whalla!! no issues now that the SB is running wireless.  Pretty cool cuz now I can set up playlists while listening and surfing.

Thanks all!!

yooper

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2008, 10:31 pm »
I don't know if you started to dabble with plugins yet, but if you are not using iTunes to manage your music, I highly recommend Playlistamanger http://www.hergest.demon.co.uk/Music/slim/PlaylistManPlugin.htm

It allows you to listen to individual tracks before deciding to add it to a playlist.  I didn't care for the way Slim handled putting a playlist together because if you wanted to listen to an individual track from another album first, it would mess up you current playlist.  Of course, if your adding albums, Slim is a breeze, but I created various Demo folders which house individual track from various albums of my "Audiophile quality" recordings,  Here is a link http://www.hergest.demon.co.uk/Music/slim/PlaylistManPlugin.htm

Another awesome plugin is Lazysearch.  No more toggling a button when searching for an album, artist, song, etc.  I have it set to only look for the first four letters of whatever I'm looking for.  That one is here....http://www.hickinbottom.com/lazysearch

Mark