Getting the most from a small room?

DGoosen

Re: Getting the most from a small room?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2021, 07:17 pm »
Danny thanks for posting!! I was looking at the NX monitors as an option w/ the kit 4 servo subs. Do you think the MTM having one more driver than the monitor will have a fuller mid range?

jlucas

« Reply #21 on: 15 Feb 2021, 02:00 pm »
I've just been through a similar conversation with Danny with my 13x14x9 room.  NX-Studio Monitors with a single 2 driver servo sub centrally placed was the recommendation and in my case the servo sub will sit horizontally vs vertically as the equipment rack is also in the center. I've ordered the flat packs and eagerly awaiting being able to listen to it.

This nearly square room was an absolutely terrible starting point, but it was the only room available to dedicate for a listening room; it originally had a very bad echo just talking in it, so some extensive room treatment was needed to get it to the point where I was happy enough to start upgrading things like the speakers.

I also asked about MTMs and they "can be made to work" but would for sure require another servo sub as the roll off is much higher on the open baffle drivers so the servo subs must be co located with each MTM as you would be able to localize the source of those higher frequencies you will have ask the servo subs to play when they are paired with the completely open baffle MTM.    I did not go further with the conversation on MTMs to see what else was needed.

I hope that helps.

DGoosen

« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2021, 01:38 am »
Thanks Jlucas, Unfortunately the room I have is even a bit smaller than yours. It's pretty dead tho',(no echo at all). I figured it might be best to go w/ two servo subs, (probably kit 4) with either the MTM speakers or the servo subs. The MTM speakers don't seem to be currently available. Hoping that I can get some idea of how the NX Studio monitors might differ from the MTM speakers when paired w/the two servo subs. Also wondering if just going w/ Spatial Audio X5 speakers might be a good call, not sure if those would just be too much for the space, they for sure would save me some time and possibly eliminate a lot DIY snafu.

jlucas

« Reply #23 on: 16 Feb 2021, 01:54 am »
Very few people will have experienced both NX Studios and MTMs and fewer still will have experienced both in your room size!   
A room your size (or mine) does not need 4 servo subs (two 2 driver cabinets), so if you go that route you will be very underutilizing them.  Also your size is not optimal for the space to give on all sides to the MTMs (or the Spatials IMHO).  Go with Danny's suggestion and do the Studios, he knows a thing or two.  It will be a while but there might be some opportunity down the road for me to compare what I'm building with my buddy's Spatial Audio speakers (but it will be a good long while, perhaps not until next winter). 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 16 Feb 2021, 07:00 pm »
The MTMs need at least 3ft behind them but can be very close to the side walls since they have nulls at 90 degrees. This results in very little side wall interaction compared to box or omni-directional speakers.

Open baffle bass is a unique creature. It doesn't behave like sealed or ported bass does. This sets up a situation where experience with box subs can lead one down the wrong path. I have both types of servo subs in my system, but for different purposes. The one sealed single driver sub kit 2 speaker can put more bass energy and punch (rattle the windows type) into the room than all four of the 12" open baffle subs in the two H-frames (two kit 4s).

The open baffle subs integrate seamlessly with the open baffle MTMs and provide smooth, controlled, detailed, and articulate sound from 16Hz to 20kHz. Am I using everything the subs have to offer in terms of SPL? No. Are they overkill? No. You don't want to be using everything a speaker or other component has to offer. To get effortless dynamics the components need to be loafing, not pushed hard. This means the Servo sub kit 4 is the perfect match for the NX-Otica MTM and would not be overkill in the OP's room.

The NX-Otica MTM and the NX-Studio Monitor use the same drivers so are likely both waiting on the same things.

The fundamental difference between them is the MTM monitor is full open baffle and therefore has to be at least 3ft from the front wall while the Studio monitor has a sealed midrange driver and a modified open baffle tweeter and is designed to be placed closer to the front wall. In my opinion, if you have the room for the open baffle servo sub kit 4, you have the room for the NX-Otica MTM monitor so go with it. If you can't get the speakers at least 3ft from the front wall, go with the NX-Studio monitors on stands and one or two servo sub kit(s) 2.

Mike

DGoosen

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2021, 12:48 am »
 Broke down and gave GR Research a call, and bugged the real life Danny w/ a few questions. Here's what i recall, (hope it's accurate):
-My room may be smaller than his wife's closet, so the NX-Otica Studio monitors could be a better fit than the MTM open baffle speakers.
-MTM mids will likely sound a bit more open than the closed mid-range driver design of the Studio Monitor, (so it's still kind of a coin toss on which might be best imo).
-A Kit 4 Servo sub under each Studio Monitor should allow for good integration of all frequencies. Didn't ask about imaging, probably should have even tho' this is largely dependent on set up geometry.
-There are a lot of adjustment variables w/ the subs, but getting them dialed in is pretty intuitive.
-Kit 4 servo subs appear to be available, on the website.
-Studio Monitors won't be available for about another month, (may also be the case for the MTM open baffles)
It looks like flat packs for the subs and the Studio Monitors may also not be available for about another month. I'm guessing that going w/ the Studio Monitor set up will cost about $4k before shipping and that a lengthy DIY adventure will increase the use of profanity around here exponentially...  :green:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2021, 01:42 am »
The NX-Studio with OB subs is literally one of the very best speakers in the world, IME.  I'd go with that in a room like yours.  $4k is criminally low for this level of performance.  Danny should charge at least $10k for these bad boys!   :o :lol:

Early B.

« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2021, 04:59 am »
-There are a lot of adjustment variables w/ the subs, but getting them dialed in is pretty intuitive.

I think many of us here wish this statement were true. The guy who designed the amp doesn't provide a sufficient explanation of the adjustments.

tom739

« Reply #28 on: 17 Feb 2021, 10:26 pm »

Open baffle bass is a unique creature. It doesn't behave like sealed or ported bass does. This sets up a situation where experience with box subs can lead one down the wrong path. I have both types of servo subs in my system, but for different purposes. The one sealed single driver sub kit 2 speaker can put more bass energy and punch (rattle the windows type) into the room than all four of the 12" open baffle subs in the two H-frames (two kit 4s).

The open baffle subs integrate seamlessly with the open baffle MTMs and provide smooth, controlled, detailed, and articulate sound from 16Hz to 20kHz. Am I using everything the subs have to offer in terms of SPL? No. Are they overkill? No. You don't want to be using everything a speaker or other component has to offer. To get effortless dynamics the components need to be loafing, not pushed hard. This means the Servo sub kit 4 is the perfect match for the NX-Otica MTM and would not be overkill in the OP's room.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the info on your sealed sub compared to the open baffle.
And I definitely agree with the "subs to be loafing" so they are very clear, and have dynamic headroom.
Good stuff.

Tom