My NX Studio's are singing now!

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
My NX Studio's are singing now!
« on: 19 Aug 2022, 06:24 am »
I made some changes to my apartment. Please excuse the poor pic's. This is what I started with.

Then I got the Studio's and ran them this way for a while. That corner was projecting/beaming along with the wall. Plus it just didn't sound right and in the back of my mind I knew I needed acoustic panels and a bass trap. In the meantime I was saving for something to replace my cheap chip amp.

Odyssey Audio is something I am interested in and was thinking a stereo Stratos Extreme but really wanted the mono's. Was looking and found a matched pair of Stratos Mono Extremes. So I jumped on them but had to wait till the next pay period to "Buy Now". I was so excited that I built the Bass trap and then the acoustic panels. What a huge improvement that made. The amps arrived while I was building the acoustic panels, TV,and cable management system. Everything is modular/removable.

OMG! WOW! This new setup is killer, just sounds so good now. Drums sound like drums now, absolutely incredible. I still need to tweak things around and paint. I do need cables throughout and a high end DAC. But man the amps and the wall treatments have really evolved my system. My NX Studio's are singing now!

Yes I'm gushing with excitement.

Thanks, Wayne

VinceT

Re: My NX Studio's are singing now!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2022, 06:32 am »
Congrats man! Bet it sounds great!

hawkeyejw

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2022, 11:44 am »
Nicely done! That’s hire a change from where you started, I’m sure it sounds amazing. Enjoy.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2022, 02:52 pm »
Yeah you are playing in the big leagues now!  Nice work man.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2022, 04:50 pm »
Thank you to everyone!

A slightly better shot.

This is the back half. Should I add two or three 2'x4' panels or one 4'x5' or none?

I really don't know what I am doing, just going for it. When I did the calculations on the front wall and corner it comes to 120 sq ft, I have about 45 sq ft of panels including corner panel. That's about thirty percent coverage. Is that good, I don't know LOL.

Anyhow thanks, Wayne

Kaiju2189

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2022, 05:46 pm »
You may try placing what insulation you are using roughly where you want it before you build something. Take an evening to listen and see what sounds good.

I have used sheets of Owens Corning 703 to build out diffusion. I would place it roughly where I wanted to test placement and sizes. I found at one point that more absorbtion was going to deaden my room too much and built some diffusion instead.

Just a thought. Test before you build if you can.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2022, 06:19 pm »
I have used sheets of Owens Corning 703 to build out diffusion.
Diffusion is something I want to try. I can't find a top view to see what the pattern is. That is the barrier on diffusion I don't have a pattern to go by.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2022, 06:45 pm »
 Slow is a link to a calculator for the pattern. It depends on the frequencies you want to address. The depth and width of the wells will vary based on what you want to do. I used half inch ply for mine.

http://www.mh-audio.nl/Acoustics/Diffusor.asp

You can see them in this pick behind some Open Baffle Spatials. I want to build some more for the middle section behind my speakers and move that absorber to the wall behind me.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2022, 07:43 pm »
Slow is a link to a calculator for the pattern. It depends on the frequencies you want to address. The depth and width of the wells will vary based on what you want to do. I used half inch ply for mine.

http://www.mh-audio.nl/Acoustics/Diffusor.asp

You can see them in this pick behind some Open Baffle Spatials. I want to build some more for the middle section behind my speakers and move that absorber to the wall behind me.

OK Thank You. It must be time to get REW and a mic so I can see where I am at. Then go from there.

Thanks again, Wayne

Kaiju2189

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2022, 08:05 pm »
Jumping in the deep end with REW….Solid. Measurements are probably recommended. I just put frequency ranges on a dart board and went from there.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2022, 08:20 pm »
Using REW will lead to understanding your room acoustics and the role each piece plays. This leads slightly better sound which leads to chasing better sound which leads to frustration which leads to anxiety and hysteria which leads to total madness which eventually leads to great sound albeit with a few more gray hairs. It is absolutely worth it, but take your time and try to understand what each adjustment does. Take notes along the way so as to come back from the brink when adjustments go the wrong direction. I just lost an hour earlier today to that exact exercise only to come back to where I was before it all began. Just remember it's all in good fun.

Nice job on the Srudios by the way.  :thumb:

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2022, 01:32 am »
Using REW will lead to understanding your room acoustics and the role each piece plays. This leads slightly better sound which leads to chasing better sound which leads to frustration which leads to anxiety and hysteria which leads to total madness which eventually leads to great sound albeit with a few more gray hairs. It is absolutely worth it, but take your time and try to understand what each adjustment does. Take notes along the way so as to come back from the brink when adjustments go the wrong direction. I just lost an hour earlier today to that exact exercise only to come back to where I was before it all began. Just remember it's all in good fun.

Nice job on the Srudios by the way.  :thumb:

"I Understand" At some point I'll be adding sub's with DSP and all that goes with it too. :scratch:

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2022, 03:16 am »
I had some issues getting pics off my phone but found a way recently.

My humble abode.

Some shots of my external crossover. This is the V2.2 version that is temporary. I want to make the boards shorter and wider. When I designed them I was going for looks, because I like the way the components look. Also I made them so I could easily desolder the parts. I want to try out the VCaps with Duelund JDM bypass on the tweeter and the VCaps as bypass on the Sonicaps on the woofer. I might run the Miflex bypass caps as well. Also want to try the  Duelund graphite resistors.

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2022, 04:14 am »
Very cool! 8)

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2022, 04:31 am »
Those look amazing!  :thumb:

KTS

« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2022, 11:13 am »
That is one clean looking crossover! Love the design and I bet it sounds incredible! Well done!

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2022, 11:52 am »
Thank You all very much for the kind words.

8) :thumb:

Wayne in Oregon

jn316

« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2022, 04:10 pm »
Are those Odyssey Stratos amps, or Kismets in Stratos enclosures? I have a Dual Mono Stratos in w/ Klaus right now for repair and I may upgrade it to a Kismet level. Plus, NX-Studios are in my near future so I'm curious what you think of that combo.

jn316

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2022, 04:14 pm »
Are those Odyssey Stratos amps, or Kismets in Stratos enclosures? I have a Dual Mono Stratos in w/ Klaus right now for repair and I may upgrade it to a Kismet level. Plus, NX-Studios are in my near future so I'm curious what you think of that combo.

Nevermind...I should have read earlier in the thread. I'm glad you are loving the combo!

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2022, 04:29 pm »

Yes you are right, Stratos Mono Extremes. I plan to send them to klaus for the Kismet upgrade after I get the rest of my system upgraded. All I can say is WOW they sound very good now.

Wayne in Oregon