Music To Appreciate Your Soundstage By!

consttraveler

• I think I won!
Music To Appreciate Your Soundstage By!
« on: 15 Aug 2022, 10:36 pm »
Hello all.

This afternoon I was doing some listening, and what guess what popped up randomly?  The tune is "There's No Tomorrow" by Leon Russel and Elton John on their Album entitled Union.  If your X-5's are placed as mine are, the Soundstage is "Orchestra" deep (deep enough to allow the instruments to separate and have their own location), and wider by a few inches on both sides, and taller, again, by a few inches than the speakers.  The 3-D illusion has the height resembling a shallow arch, with the highest point being dead center.

Nice Recording?  No, Exceptional Recording!

I'm hoping some of you have favorites you can share with the rest of us.

Dave

RonN5

Re: Music To Appreciate Your Soundstage By!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2022, 11:54 pm »
The strange thing is that when I see/hear an orchestra or a band live… even front row, it’s almost impossible to separate instruments except when one section plays louder or individuals have solos…. Except for percussion and piano. I’m not sure how recordings are able to do this?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2022, 11:59 pm »
They made this mess using várious microphones and a cheap mixer.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2022, 01:02 am »
FullRangeMan, you don't like the music?  Try Bobby McFerrin and Chick Corea with the San Paul Chamber Orchestra on the recording "The Mozart Sessions", Track #1.  It is a little shallower in depth but still a good representation of what a soundstage should sound like.

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2022, 01:57 am »
I'd have to agree with FullRangeMan on the "There's No Tomorrow" track. It sounds like a compressed and confusingly mixed studio recording. I can see how some things might sound as if they are located in different places, but it's more like a cubist painting than an Ansel Adams landscape.

The first track of Charlie Byrd at the Village Vanguard, "Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)" sounds much more three-dimensional and realistic to my ears.

Also, the Reference Recordings release titled "Leos Janacek: Sinfonietta; Lachian Dances; Taras Bulba" should give the soundstage and dynamics a nice workout!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2022, 02:59 am »

The first track of Charlie Byrd at the Village Vanguard, "Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)" sounds much more three-dimensional and realistic to my ears.

There is some sort of magic about that place where almost every recording I've heard from there is full of three dimensional lifelike sound. So amazing.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2022, 03:01 am »
If you own Spatial Audio speakers you need top quality recordings to really make them sing.

My favorite blues album, stereo, available for download up through DXD (24/352.8 ), Carmen Gomes Inc. "Up Jumped The Devil".  Sampler on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_62aOb4j3c.

My favorite classical album:  Bruckner: Symphony No. 9, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Manfred Honeck (conductor).  Available at Native DSD, stereo or surround, up through DXD (24/352.8 ).  Sample tracks and booklet available.  https://www.nativedsd.com/product/fr733-bruckner-symphony-no-9/.  This recording will push your speakers to the limit.  There is a short sample on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT17xGdeCjk.

Of course, I will give a shameless plug for my list of demonstration quality classical recordings:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177443.0.

Happy Listening!

Marcus

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2022, 03:44 am »
FullRangeMan, you don't like the music?  Try Bobby McFerrin and Chick Corea with the San Paul Chamber Orchestra on the recording "The Mozart Sessions", Track #1.  It is a little shallower in depth but still a good representation of what a soundstage should sound like.
I am speaking generically, not of the album in question.
If the sound of the system is hot or burnt I prefer not to listen.

Edit:
I mean say in my system in my place, but I like to listen any system in friends houses to know different equipment.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2022, 10:25 pm by FullRangeMan »

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2022, 01:15 am »
I'm hoping some of you have favorites you can share with the rest of us.

Dave
I have many tunes that I would consider my favorites that I listen to on my X5s, but these (2) songs “Question and Answers” and “Return From the Stars” have been in rotation lately.  Check them out at your leisure and share your thoughts on the results of your Spatials delivery!

DaveWin88

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2022, 01:15 am »
I have many tunes that I would consider my favorites that I listen to on my X5s, but these (2) songs “Question and Answers” and “Return From the Stars” have been in rotation lately.  Check them out at your leisure and share your thoughts on the results of your Spatials delivery!

I'm going to pick these Cd's up. Man you know the Spatial's will play this stuff beautifully all day without breaking a sweat :)

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2022, 01:32 am »
Quote from: DaveWin88
I'm going to pick these Cd's up. Man you know the Spatial's will play this stuff beautifully all day without breaking a sweat :)
[/quote
Indeed!  I’m glad you enjoyed the tunes on your Spatials!
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2022, 04:13 pm by DBT AUDIO »

Tangram

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2022, 03:05 pm »
Roger Waters: Amused to Death. Mindblowing soundstage.

newzooreview

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2022, 05:00 pm »
Roger Waters: Amused to Death. Mindblowing soundstage.

That's one of several albums mixed with QSound to create a 3D effect.

From Wikipedia:

"QSound is essentially a filtering algorithm. It manipulates timing, amplitude, and frequency response to produce a binaural image. Systems like QSound rely on the fact that a sound arriving from one side of the listener will reach one ear before the other and that when it reaches the furthest ear, it is lower in amplitude and spectrally altered due to obstruction by the head. However, the ideal algorithm was arrived at empirically, with parameters adjusted according to the outcomes of many listening tests."

"QSound was utilized on Sting's 1991 album, The Soul Cages, Roger Waters's 1992 album Amused To Death, Luther Vandross's 1991 album, Power of Love, Madonna's 1990 album, The Immaculate Collection, and Paula Abdul's 1991 album, Spellbound."

It's also been used in video games. I'm glad that it didn't catch on. It's an interesting gimmick, but I prefer well engineered stereo recordings to capture the venue and the details in the music that get muted with heavy processing like QSound.

mvalentiner

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2022, 10:28 am »
The best sounding album I have is
Bach Trios by Yo-Yo Ma, Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer
https://a.co/d/aJSkWOP

Very intimate, very detailed, and it sounds like they are sitting right there in the room.

ric

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2022, 01:44 pm »
As far as mindblowing soundstaging goes, Radiohead - Everything in its Right Place (from Kid A). Wall to wall floor to ?

Tarheel

« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2022, 05:00 pm »
mvalentiner.....good suggestion on the Bach Trios!  Really enjoying it.

I'm in a smallish room 14'x14'x16'.  I have two zero Gravity chairs for me and the lady friend with a 12" table in between and 2" space on either side of the table.  With some free time I started experimenting with toe in on the M4s and removing the table between the chairs.  That freed up 16" so I was able to move the chair almost together and closer to the sweet spot.  No longer necessary to lean in to be on center. 
Never one to make one change at a time I guess Yo-Yo Ma and I will have to share the credit :wink:

Tangram

« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2022, 04:53 pm »
That's one of several albums mixed with QSound to create a 3D effect.

From Wikipedia:

"QSound is essentially a filtering algorithm. It manipulates timing, amplitude, and frequency response to produce a binaural image. Systems like QSound rely on the fact that a sound arriving from one side of the listener will reach one ear before the other and that when it reaches the furthest ear, it is lower in amplitude and spectrally altered due to obstruction by the head. However, the ideal algorithm was arrived at empirically, with parameters adjusted according to the outcomes of many listening tests."

"QSound was utilized on Sting's 1991 album, The Soul Cages, Roger Waters's 1992 album Amused To Death, Luther Vandross's 1991 album, Power of Love, Madonna's 1990 album, The Immaculate Collection, and Paula Abdul's 1991 album, Spellbound."

It's also been used in video games. I'm glad that it didn't catch on. It's an interesting gimmick, but I prefer well engineered stereo recordings to capture the venue and the details in the music that get muted with heavy processing like QSound.

I recently heard this on a very nice system and enjoyed the experience. Have you had a chance to do the same? If not, you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2022, 05:14 pm »
Loreena McKennet Alhambra Nights

dave

LedZep

« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2022, 05:40 pm »
My favorite: Jean Michel Jarre Oxygen - vinyl

WGH

« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2022, 10:05 pm »

Andreas Vollenweider – Caverna Magica

Soundstage as deep and wide as a cavern. I have the 1982 vinyl and the recording quality is excellent with subterranean bass and quick, clear harp. The recording has a wide dynamic range that can be played loud and make you jump in places.