question for our HT gurus

JoshK

« on: 10 Mar 2003, 06:28 pm »
I quit subscribing to cable because they are a rip-off.   I live in an apartment complex so a big exterior satellite dish is a no-go.  I have started to look at OTA HDTV tuners/decoders for my plasma using an indoor or real small outdoor antennae.  My question is since my plasma does not have a built in tuner I would like to kill two birds with one stone.  Will OTA HDTV tuners/decoders also serve as a tuner for regular OTA broadcast, that is, non-HDTV broadcasts?

Also if anyone has any suggestions/preferences for good but reasonably priced OTA HDTV tuners/decoders I am in the market for research.

Josh

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2003, 09:51 pm »
All of the OTA tuners I found also support "normal" analog signals.

I ended up going with the Toshiba DST-3000, which also does DirecTV. It was the only way to get hd.net at the time.  I paid about $450, which was less than I found any of the OTA-only tuners at the time.

Samsung had an OTA only when I last checked - maybe they've updated it now....

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2003, 10:13 pm »
The Tosh DST-3000 is one of the better HD tuners available.

I wasn't sure if it was an SD tuner as well, but apparently it is.

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2003, 12:09 am »
Josh- the Perfect Vision this month does a tuner shootout...i would look to Gary Merson's wisdom above anyone else in this arena

Kishore

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2003, 02:31 am »
Yes, you can use current STBs for OTA of HD & SD signals. I'd recommend Zenith 520, Samsung 160 (the newer generation) models.

Tosh DST3100, Pana HD52 & RCA DTC200 are expected soon.

Cheers,
Kishore