DTS and DD, and how to activate HDTV?

CastAwayWilson

« on: 27 Dec 2002, 08:43 pm »
Well Bubba, you recommended every thing purchased, any ways, I'm confused, I use the optical cord from the DV-354 to the JVC, the JVC supports DTS, DD, Pro Logic, PCM, etc.....

The DD light is the only one that lights up when I say watch Men in Black, or Beauty and the Beast special edition, both of which say DTS on the back if I'm not mistaken, I know one does for sure, but I can't seem to use it? I don't even know if its better.... The odd part is if I disable DTS then I have no sound, but it says its using DD ?

And on the tv it has the optional to enable HD or leave it on SD, and SD supposivly can detect HD but I have no way of knowing if it has or not!!!!! and the option when I'm watching DVDs is turned off, same with cable (not that I want it)

I'm using the Componet 3 cable to run from the Pioneer to Panasonic.... Is that not what I should use? as I understand thats what its made for, extra colors, and better pictures!

I think I might need a line filter, the "snow" and general quality of the picture seems affected by some thing, and thats probably it, the house has.... rather poor power atributes, turning on a vacume kills every very bad, the cable comes in poor, I don't think its properly grounded, after all acording to Charter thats the number one problem....

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2002, 10:27 pm »
Well to try HD you need an HD source. Be it from an HD reciever (over the air or dish), X-Box w/HD pack, Hi-Vision LD, Muse LD, W-VHS, D-VHS/D-Theater etc. Anything that'll give you a 720p, 1080i, or 1125i signal. The X-Box w/HD pack & Halo would be the easiest & cheapest HD source to attain.

Component video does give you better color separation than S or Composite. But it's being output out of your DV-354 in 480i. So your Panasonic is (should) line double that to 480p. Same hold true with cable, VCR, etc.

What type of AC outlets do you have? That'll help clean up the picture quite a bit if you're not using a IG8300 outlet from Eagle/Cooper/Hubbell, etc. I'm sure Wayne's new Bybee strip would really clean things up if you could pick up one of those.

I'm not that familiar with JVC's current recievers. But if you have the DV-354 connected with the optical out, have DTS out enabled in the setup screen of the DV-354, and chose the DTS track from the discs audio setup menu, you should get DTS when you select the proper type of input on the JVC (Toslink).

On the whole component cable is the better choice for your DVDP than S-video. But I did run a comparison of Monster's high end cables on a Pioneer Elite DV-09 a few months back. Using M-1000CV Component cable ($125 for 1M), their M-2000HDSV S-Video ($150 for 1M), and their M-1000SV S-Video ($60 for 1M). The M-1000 S-Video is a damn good cable, but the M-1000 Component had better color saturation & had a touch cleaner picture. But I was surprised to find that the M-2000 S-Video had even better clarity than the M-1000 Component and the colors were just a touch better than the component was.

So yea, usually component is the way to go. But as with all things that's not an absolute...

CastAwayWilson

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2002, 03:20 am »
Shit I sure wish I would of known the DV-354 wasn't HD...... :(

The Toshiba I almost bought I think was ....

I'll probably put in a new outlet and get a filter/surge protector, it needs at least a surge protector

Odd, the DVDs don't have the option to select DTS ? but they say it on the back ? wtf.... The JVC is setup for digital in or I wouldn't have no sound, and iit plays what signal it gets, ugh!!!!! why me

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2002, 05:28 am »
Quote from: CastAwayWilson
Shit I sure wish I would of known the DV-354 wasn't HD...... :(

There are no HD DVDP's yet in the consumer world. The Toshiba you looked at probably had HDCD capability. Has nothing to do with video.

On a lot of discs you can't change to the DTS track while the movie is playing. You have to go to the audio setup screen in the disc menu. Reason being is a DTS signal at decent volume will blow speakers if not hooked up to a DTS decoder. So they don't want someone to be able to accidentally switch to a DTS track if their processor doesn't have a DTS decoder. That's also the reason for the "warning" screen when you choose a DTS track from the audio selection menu.

CastAwayWilson

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2002, 06:59 am »
ok I'm confused then, I don't understand how to select DTS then....

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2002, 08:17 pm »
First you should make sure the DTS out is enabled in the DV-354.

With no disc in the player, hit the setup button on the remote. If the setup screen is similar to my DV-333, the DTS setting should be under the Audio1 tab in the setup screen. You've only got 2 options on the DTS out, OFF or DTS. Set it to DTS.

Second, put in a DTS disc. When the disc's menu comes up go to either the setup screen, audio selection screen, or languages screen (I don't have either of the 2 DTS discs you'd mentioned owning so I can say what they called it). From there set it to DTS. A lot of times you'll get a screen asking if you've got all the proper equipment to play DTS tracks and then asks you if you want to continue. As before, I don't have either of the discs you'd mentioned owning so I don't know if you'll get that screen or not.

It sounds like your JVC is running fine. I'm betting it's the DTS setting in the player wasn't set to output DTS.

CastAwayWilson

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2002, 11:23 pm »
I'll attempt again, I thought I did that, but I guess I didn't !

CastAwayWilson

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2002, 02:29 am »
Oh yeah I think $13 plug ins are a bit cheaper then $450 stip thats a 4rd of the TV cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry but its not worth that, I could build John Risches setups much cheaper I'm sure

By the way we are using cheap RCA componet cables, I don't think my Mom believes in cables that cost more then the DVD player, at least, we are talking about people that don't understand every little bit helps, theres another world out there, and they aren't even going to tap what they have...