AD1 Amp

Husinger

AD1 Amp
« on: 16 Feb 2019, 03:43 am »
Hello, I am new to this site. Do any of you have a recommended builder for a single ended amplifier based on the AD1 tube? If you have experience with this tube I'd like to learn more about it. I have a Burgess 45 amp and I like it a lot with 95dB speakers. Just thinking the AD1 would offer another option. Thanks.

Phil A

Re: AD1 Amp
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2019, 12:41 pm »
Welcome!

roscoe65

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2019, 12:54 pm »
Hello, I am new to this site. Do any of you have a recommended builder for a single ended amplifier based on the AD1 tube? If you have experience with this tube I'd like to learn more about it. I have a Burgess 45 amp and I like it a lot with 95dB speakers. Just thinking the AD1 would offer another option. Thanks.

Hi Husinger.  Not too many builders in the US go for the AdD1 tube, but there are a number of custom builders who would do it for you if you sought them out.  I own a custom 421A amp from Oliver Sayes (SonicOli on USAudiomart).  He most frequently makes 45 amps using variations of Korneff and Yamamoto circuits but I have also seen him make 421A, 2A3, and other 45 amps inspired by other circuits, like a monstrous 45 SET using the Thomas Mayer design.

Radu in Connecticut does some more esoteric stuff as well.

A good jumping off point for some cool custom builds is over at glowinthedarkaudio.com.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2019, 11:53 am »
Maybe this help:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/AD1.html
There was one unit for sale at the Trading Circle some months ago.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2019, 01:34 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Husinger   :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:43 am »
Maybe this help:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/AD1.html
There was one unit for sale at the Trading Circle some months ago.

Love that site.

david45

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2019, 08:08 am »
Welcome to AC!!

Sean Casper in WI can definitely build you what you are looking for.

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/AD1.html

I'll pm you his contact information once your mailbox is activated  :green:

Cheers,

David

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2019, 11:15 am »
Love that site.
Kevin is a very friendly audiophile, very helpful to pass his first hand experience, a gentleman.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2020, 07:11 pm »
Just a note of caution, AD1 is a rare expensive tube made only from 1936 to 1939 with a unique socket, however after the war US made his version which is the 2A3, a much more easy to find tube, usually 2A3 amps also can run the 45.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2020, 07:53 pm »
In all my years of tube'n, I've never heard of that tube.

Anyhow, welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

Husinger

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2020, 01:53 am »
I just noticed some replies to my original post that I had not previously seen. I appreciate your comments. As a follow-up, I determined the speakers needed more power than I thought to optimize their sound - more than the very low output tubes (e.g. 45 tube) could muster!