My 2004 iMac died so I got me a 2011 (late) i7 Mac Mini and...

JakeJ

...I am learning all over again how to setup a music server.

For a bit of back story. A couple of years ago I bought a c. 2004 iMac and it worked fine until about two months when it suffered a catastrophic failure.  I didn't set it up as a real audiophile music server because I didn't know anything about ripping, formats, or high quality computer audio.  Frankly, I didn't care about that stuff, all I wanted was a replacement for FM as locally the content is no where the level I have been spoiled on by living in a metropolitan area.  I am a jazz fan and there is one station (NPR) that has an all night jazz program on Friday and Saturday nights...but that ain't enough.

So I got this Mac mini and learned about ripping to a lossless format.  Now I need to identify and kill all background processes that are unnecessary.  (Hint, hint for help.) I schooled myself on the apps that sound better than the stock iTunes.  Downloaded Amarra and Audirvana but haven't fired either one up yet.

Just for fun I ripped my first CD using iTunes and WAV format.  Easy peasy but when I ask iTunes to get artwork it asks me to log into the App Store.  To me that means money.  The old iMac never asked me to log into the App Store, it just went somewhere on the internet and got it.

I am running El Capitan 10.11.3 and iTunes 12.3.2.35.

Can't I tell iTunes (or what ever I end up using) to just look on the internet?  Or is that configured somewhere?

TIA
Jake

TrungT

Jake
Check out JRiver for Mac.  :thumb:

JakeJ

Thanks, will do.  Another Duh! :duh: moment, I realized all I had to do was sign in to the App Store...wait for it...app and change a preference.  Voila, artwork!

Only ripped a couple of CDs with iTunes.  Audirvana is only a playback app like Amarra?  Seems neither one does ripping duties?  Downloaded XLD and installed but the Mac would not let it run.  Error message said something about not being from a certified Apple developer?

Mmm...sleepy now. More tomorrow.

GentleBender

You have to go to system preferences, click on security and click allow program to run. Just make sure it is a program from a safe source first.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Wish someone would write a Mini primer for dummies on how to optimize for audio server only.  I read of so many that have to struggle through it, never knowing if they got it totally right, and I for one could never do it on my own.  Getting advice in bits and pieces is worse than useless for someone like me who is entirely capable of messing the machine totally up. 

And sorry, but geeks have almost no comprehension of the challenge this stuff is for the rest of us (nearly like explaining color to the blind).

brother love

This is an excellent resource by our own JohnR  8)

Computer audio on the Mac – Getting Started: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107623.0

JakeJ

I agree, JLM.  It's a vast ocean of choices and the path is not clear but I think too that the results vary due to differences in system components, quality of the server and its implementation, local power from the grid, and many more factors.  So far I have been following the advice on Empirical Audio's website.

Frankly, I'm not sure how far I am going to take this as one can only throw so much money at a thing when finally you hit the wall of diminishing returns.  In other words, I am not planning on this becoming my end all be all, ultimate source but it would be nice if I can get it to in the same neighborhood.

Thanks for the tip, GB.  Is XLD the defacto ripper at the present time?

Thanks all for the info and assistance.

JakeJ

brother love thanks for the love.  Just started reading and will check back in later with an update.

JakeJ

One of the first things I ran across in JohnR's article is his mention of an external Apple "Superdrive".  Is a Superdrive really necessary?  Can't I use any external optical drive?  Is there something special about the Superdrive?

macrojack

• Restricted
In Apple's relentless quest to make their computers ever thinner, they stopped including a disc drive and began offering the Superdrive. I have one. they sell for about $70 and are (to my knowledge) nothing more than the disc drive that used to be on board every computer they sold. Now it is an external option. If what you have works well with your mini, this is one option you can safely ignore.

JakeJ

Re: My 2004 iMac died so I got me a 2011 (late) i7 Mac Mini and...
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2016, 03:22 pm »
Thank you, macro.  I am placing a Herbie's Super Black Hole Dampener on each CD as I rip.  At least I think it's a Herbie's SBH, it is a small rubbery black washer about 2 inches in diameter with the obligatory hole in the middle.  One side is a grippy silicone that sticks to the disc.  Hoping it helps in the ripping process.

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2016, 08:35 pm »
So here's an interesting issue.  Some albums do not have artwork at the iTunes store.  So I downloaded the cover I needed from Amazon and no matter what I do iTunes will not associate the .jpg with the album.  Can anyone tell me why this is?  I must be doing something wrong.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2016, 09:14 pm »
So I downloaded the cover I needed from Amazon and no matter what I do iTunes will not associate the .jpg with the album.  Can anyone tell me why this is?  I must be doing something wrong.

You're not doing anything wrong.

iTunes will download artwork for WAV files, either automatically or with the Get Album Artwork command, if it is in the Gracenote database (and save the image in the iTunes database file).  But if you try to manually paste artwork into the Artwork Tab you will see the image pasted, but it will not save it.

Standard WAV file format does not provide for any metadata tagging.  All the tags such as artist, album, genre, etc. are stored in the iTunes database.  Why iTunes will store iTunes procured artwork in the database for WAV files, but not manually added artwork is a mystery.

Interestingly, even for file formats that do support metadata tags and artwork embedded in the file (AIFF, ALAC, AAC, MP3), iTunes still stores automatically added artwork in the iTunes database.  When I rip to AIFF and iTunes automatically gets the artwork, I manually copy it and then paste it right back into the Artwork Tab so that it is stored in the file itself.

For these tagging and artwork limitations, I use the AIFF format vs the WAV format.

Steve

JakeJ

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2016, 09:51 pm »
Dammit!  Thanks, Steve.  I guess this means I'll need to re-rip a few cds.

Confirmed.  Works as advertised with AIFF.  Just a few re-rips and I'm good.

So to be able to compare rips of different formats can one create multiple libraries to rip the same cd in different formats, each to a separate library?  I was also thinking about this should I try downloading high res files.  Good idea, bad idea?

srb

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2016, 10:13 pm »
So to be able to compare rips of different formats can one create multiple libraries to rip the same cd in different formats, each to a separate library?

You could use separate libraries, but there isn't really a need to.  You can have multiple song files of the same name, artist, album etc. in different file formats in the same library.  This makes it easy to quickly switch between tracks for comparison.

You can also convert (make a copy) of an existing file in iTunes with either the File > Create New Version or within the context menu of a file with Create xxx Version.  If your Import Settings are the same as the existing file format you won't see the command, otherwise the "xxx" will reflect the current Preferences > Import Settings.

I was also thinking about this should I try downloading high res files.  Good idea, bad idea?

If your DAC supports the higher resolution you might find some better sounding files.  Most people will tell you that well mastered CD resolution files can sound better than not-so-great mastered higher resolution files, so I would proceed slowly but it would be fun to do a few comparisons.

Steve

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2016, 12:14 am »
Turning off all of the following memory resident programs to improve sonic decay (instructions to disable those are below)

#1--------------Turn your journaling off -

“Getting to "Disk Utility"

Go to Applications from Finder.

Highlight Utilities.

Highlight Disk Ultility

Highlight the name Macintosh HD on the left side of choices

Then disable journaling by press your Option key on the keyboard, HOLDING ON TO the OPTION key

Highlight File

select “disable journaling” from the top of your screen on the file menu dropdown of choices.

#2 ----------------Turn your Dashboard off:

Open the utility program called "Terminal" (in Applications)

Type the command EXACTLY as written below (all spaces included, EXACTLY as written caps, spaces, dots and dashes)

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

Click your enter key

Now type in the next command below EXACTLY as written including the "D" in the word dock is capitalized   

killall Dock

Click your enter key

#3--------- Disable Rosetta, type the following command in Terminal:

sudo sysctl –w kern.exec.archhandler.powerpc=/usr/libexec/oah/RosettaNonGrata

Click enter key

#4------ (For Lion OS Machines) Disable iTunes helper, exactly type the following command into Terminal:

System Preferences>Accounts>User Account>Login Items

click enter key

#5------ Disable Spaces, run the following command in Terminal:

type the following command in Terminal

defaults write com.apple.dock workspaces -bool false

Click your enter key

Type the next command

killall Dock

click enter key

#6-----------Eliminate constant searching of your spotlight searching program:

Click on the spotlight (the magnifying glass symbol at the top right of your computer screen)

At the bottom of the spotlight list, click on word "spotlight preferences"

Now, uncheck EVERYTHING that has a checkmark (nothing should be checked)

close out your spotlight preferences it is now not searching constantly while the computer is running