Vandersteen and Dolby ATMOS / DTS:X

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
Vandersteen and Dolby ATMOS / DTS:X
« on: 30 Jan 2016, 03:49 pm »
I read on Ask Richard over on the Vandersteen site that he's recommending VCC-1 at the speaker of choose for the ceiling mounted speaker.
After finally hearing the Dolby ATMOS over Christmas I've been considering adding this to my already 7.1 Vandersteen setup.
I was looking to see if anyone has looked into this or even attempted adding the overhead speakers.
I was thinking the VSM-1's would work for this as everything I've read people are recommending two ceiling mounted speakers.
I don't think this has been brought up here yet but figured this would be a great place to have the information should someone else start looking for this very subject.
Anyway let me know if anyone has information or thoughts on this.
Thanks in advance.

P.S. I will keep up with this as best as I can as I'm in the process of refurbishing my mother-n-laws house.

ctsooner

Re: Vandersteen and Dolby ATMOS / DTS:X
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2016, 03:15 pm »
If Richard said to do it, I'd do it (if I wanted to add extra speakers to my system).  My biggest problem personally with all these multi speaker set up's are the smearing you get with all these waves canceling out and coming from all different directions.  That's just me, but I'd love to hear your thoughts as I'm open.  His center channel speaker really is outstanding.

C17FXR

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2016, 04:02 pm »
CT
Lucky for me I already have two speakers from the previous owner in the ceiling, and they just happen to be located in the exact location that I would need them. I also happen to have a VCC-1 that I will also be able to try this with.
I still have a couple weeks before I'm finished with the refurb on the mother-n-laws place, I was hoping someone might have givin this a try here.
I do plan to post all my findings here so that someone might be able to use the information in the future if they so choose.
As fas as all the sound waves bouncing around the room, well I figure that is what a home theater is suppose to do, I don't use the surround while I listen to music, the music reproduction comes first with the surround sound getting second fiddle so to speak. I stil put quiet an effort to getting the surround right though. This way I can sit and enjoy a movie and a bottle of wine within the confines of my home.
Anyway I will keep this thread updated as I go along.

P.S. I like your enthusiasm for the Vandersteen speakers, have read many of your comments regarding their merits while following your venture into their abilities. Usually I only comment if I can add some important information to the subject that I've learned over the years. Most of the time I'm usually late to the subject (thread) and playing catch up and someone else has posted the info.

ctsooner

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2016, 02:09 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. It's all good and I"m glad you are having fun.  Yes, keep the thread going and updated.

As for my posts on VAndys, it's because I believe in his speakers. That wasn't the case for years. I liked the 2's back in the 80's when I met Ricard at Stereo Unlimited in SD.. I was buying a couple of systems for myself, my brother and a couple of shipmates. My friends just wanted a nice NAD based system with bookshelf speakers and I had some Polk 10's that I thought were really good once I put some nice CJ pre amp and Moscode amps on them.  My ear has gotten better and better over the years, lol.  I went to buy the 2c's when I moved back to CT in 88 and the closest dealer was in RI. I went up there with my new bride to just go and buy the 2's and was converted to the Proac's.  I got a great close out deal on the towers and bought them for nearly the same price as the 2's.  I kept them up until a year or so ago. I went to Audio Connection who at the time was a ProAc dealer to buy the new D28's, but once there, Johnny made me listen to the Treo's.  I was HOOOKED.

I kept and open mind and listened to them for a year or so at the store. I listened to nearly any speaker you know the name of over that year and finally found nothing in the ballpark of the Treo's.  Yes, I think they are that good.  Most speakers are tipped up a db or two at the top and most smear.  If you don't hear a clean signal then you won't get the emotion of the music.  I'm so happy with what I have, but I realize not everyone likes what I like.  I have taken friends to listen to the Vandy line at a couple of stores around the country as I travel a lot and have friends all over.  Nearly all liked the Vandy's and many have purchased them.  I never realized how much goes into them for the price.  It's the stuff you don't see that is what they are selling.  Many companies brag about their cabinets or their special space age drivers or whatever, but Richard is an icon for a reason.  HE just spends the money and makes his concessions in really good places and gives us speakers at each price range that overachieve.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2016, 01:39 am »
ctsooner wrote "made me listen to the Treo's.  I was HOOOKED."  So what in your listening experience tops the Treo's now ctsooner

ctsooner

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2016, 10:37 pm »
Kind of a strange question.  The Treo's have their limitations due to price range, but since you asked, I'd say the Quatro, 5 CT's and 7 mk I and II are better. ;)

Nelson10

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2016, 05:59 pm »
I am a fan of Vandersteen speakers since 1988.
Front L&R -3A Sigs
Center- VCC 5
Surround Sides, Surround Backs and Ceiling -VSMs
Two-V2W Subs 
I have a complete 7.2.2 Vandersteen Speaker system. I am using VSMs for ceiling Atmos &  DTSX speakers.
It was a bit tricky to get them installed but with some little help I was able to install the VSMs securely with the supplied bracket and some L- brackets. If you are thinking of installing them make sure you catch a ceiling beam.

dminches

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2016, 01:08 am »
Very nice setup.  I am sure you enjoy that room to the max.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2016, 01:52 am »
Jes want to give a shout-out to Richard Vandersteen.  To my knowledge, goin back to the 80's if not the 70's, he is the first cat to get his mid and high frequency drivers outta the box and staggered to coherently time align their delivery and eliminate diffraction of waveforms.  These days he slopes them back and narrows the cabinets around them for the same purpose.  Sound thinking, imo.  Well, on second thought, maybe John Dahlquist was the first with his DQ10's.  I once owned a pair of the latter. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2016, 11:50 am »
Very nice setup.  I am sure you enjoy that room to the max.

+1

Bet it sounds outstanding!

George

Nelson10

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2016, 03:54 pm »
Thanks Gentlemen,

Very happy with my movie sound and 2ch stereo sound.
I am using a Marantz 8802A for my surround sound and a Are K5 pre amp for stereo.
I am using Rotel Amps all around but will like to upgrade my 2ch amp with a Are V5

dminches

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2016, 04:09 pm »
Thanks Gentlemen,

Very happy with my movie sound and 2ch stereo sound.
I am using a Marantz 8802A for my surround sound and a Are K5 pre amp for stereo.
I am using Rotel Amps all around but will like to upgrade my 2ch amp with a Are V5

You should look for a pair of used MX-Rs!

Nelson10

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2016, 06:47 pm »
I would love a pair of those MX-Rs, but there are out of my price range.

C17FXR

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2016, 12:50 pm »
I am a fan of Vandersteen speakers since 1988.
Front L&R -3A Sigs
Center- VCC 5
Surround Sides, Surround Backs and Ceiling -VSMs
Two-V2W Subs 
I have a complete 7.2.2 Vandersteen Speaker system. I am using VSMs for ceiling Atmos &  DTSX speakers.
It was a bit tricky to get them installed but with some little help I was able to install the VSMs securely with the supplied bracket and some L- brackets. If you are thinking of installing them make sure you catch a ceiling beam.

Nelson10

Sorry for the late reply/post, been rather busy with flooring and transmission work.
Very nice setup you have there, we have an almost identical speaker setup.
I run a pair of 2Wq's with my surrounds as well to make them full range.
I'm using all McCormack amplification and have my sites set on the new Anthem AVM-60.
Its been a toss up between that and the Marantz 8802a that you are using, never had much luck with the Audyssey but that was in my old receiver a Denon AVR-4308.

Thanks for the post about your setup and the suggestion for mounting the height speakers.
Your suggestion is along the same line as I was thinking, just have to figure out where to position them on a vaulted ceiling.
I'm actually considering putting in 4 height speakers to get the full immersion effect, will start with two as there is already  two speakers in the ceiling when I bought the house.
Not sure when I will have time for this as my schedule has changed since I posted this, starting to look like this will be a fall to winter time project.
Anyway will keep you posted on how things turn out.

Is that the Sound Anchor speaker stand I see under your VCC-5?

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2016, 09:07 pm »
Nelson10  are those 4D vibrating moving chairs?

ctsooner

« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2016, 04:45 pm »
What nice theater set ups guys.  I know I tout Richard's speakers, but only because of what they do for ME emotionally.  The are the first and only dynamic speakers I've heard to date that from the mids up sound like it's ONE speaker. Point source if you would.  I know many reviewers and manufacturer's who own the 5 CT's and it's for the same reason.  I'm listening to some well recorded Jazz in 24/192.  The server I use was used by a DAC manufacture who rebuilt it etc... It sounds as good as nearly any server I've auditioned under 10K.  I'm listening at such low levels, but it's drawing me in.  The only thing I'm really missing from my Treo's is the bottom slam. 

I'm really looking forward to hearing the 7 MK2's when Richard comes to Audio Connection in NJ on May 21'st.  I'm assuming Richard will also have his amps with him.  I've only gotten to hear them a few times, but it's the first hybrid amp that to me sounds like the magic of SET and the power of SS.  I didn't love his first attempt, but his final product is very special. It doesn't get a ton of play due to it being for his speaker (I assume you can use it with it's high pass filter on other speakers that need that set up, but I'm not sure).