Aural Enlightenment III - Especiale Pics are up!

Big Red Machine

Re: Aural Enlightenment III - Especiale Pics are up!
« Reply #80 on: 17 Oct 2016, 04:58 pm »
Nice work BRM. After you enjoy listening to some tunes for a few weeks, put a mic in your listening position, and show us some REW graphs...

Have fun in your new room!

Best,
Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #81 on: 20 Oct 2016, 12:18 am »
Hard to imagine that way back when, the speakers were nothing more than a cad sketch:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #82 on: 23 Oct 2016, 12:58 am »
Some photos in my typical listening mode:

Early B.

« Reply #83 on: 23 Oct 2016, 02:59 am »
This build is incredibly awesome!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #84 on: 23 Oct 2016, 09:09 am »
VERY inspirational BRM!!! What a build. Now I need to find that derned pot of gold!!!

jriggy

« Reply #85 on: 23 Oct 2016, 01:34 pm »
Do the LED lights on your Innamorata turn off or is your amp just not on in that last pic?? On my Signature they are on if the amp is on.

Jason

Big Red Machine

« Reply #86 on: 23 Oct 2016, 01:47 pm »
No lights on my Wells. Just a meter that is not lit. The red coming through is the Bricasti and I think I can turn it off. I'm toying with the idea of covering that tower with something hardshell so it acts like a giant diffuser. I may try some cardboard as an experiment someday.

Do the LED lights on your Innamorata turn off or is your amp just not on in that last pic?? On my Signature they are on if the amp is on.

Jason

Big Red Machine

« Reply #87 on: 23 Oct 2016, 01:52 pm »
VERY inspirational BRM!!! What a build. Now I need to find that derned pot of gold!!!

Outside of the gear the room certainly cost more than just finishing a standard room in the house. I have not added up the costs but I believe it is north of $3000. The damned MLV was $500 alone.

My wife is very happy with the results of the soundproofing. She sits directly above and even with the tv off she says it does not bother her one bit.

jriggy

« Reply #88 on: 23 Oct 2016, 03:33 pm »
No lights on my Wells. Just a meter that is not lit. The red coming through is the Bricasti and I think I can turn it off. I'm toying with the idea of covering that tower with something hardshell so it acts like a giant diffuser. I may try some cardboard as an experiment someday.

Ah, I see. Personally, I don't mind the lights of the gear showing through...

A solid surface of that size and into the room that much might do some weird things to your soundstage. I had some much smaller 'standard sized' poly-fusers between my speakers at one point and did not like what they did. Of course all speakers and rooms are different.

What about a few more vertical members in the frame work, sort of crating a poly/QR hybrid? 

SFDude

« Reply #89 on: 23 Oct 2016, 04:12 pm »
I read this whole thread and am flabbergasted and in awe of the thought and work put into this room. Kudos! I bet it sounds great.  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #90 on: 23 Oct 2016, 04:41 pm »
I read this whole thread and am flabbergasted and in awe of the thought and work put into this room. Kudos! I bet it sounds great.  :thumb:

I appreciate the kudos because I am a planner. I made many a sketch and doodle and when the kitchen was done I went right to this project.

I'm putting up motion lights on the garage today so moving on to winterizing projects. Put a new bagging system on my lawn tractor yesterday (32 trees in my backyard). And I struggled with, but finally got the uRendu installed in the stereo yesterday. It sounds pretty good plugged directly into my dac so not using the TotalDac USB cable at the moment.

I hope to run new rooms sweeps soon with this speaker location to see if it is "different" than where I started the placement adventure.

mcgsxr

« Reply #91 on: 23 Oct 2016, 05:56 pm »
Funny about the garage - I have purchased but not yet installed a Leviton motion sensor switch for the garage overhead light, following complaints from my wife about driving into a "dark" garage.  There is a light on the opener, but she would like more lights to come on.

Agree about the planning.  I have a notebook/sketchbook I use for all my notes and planning for the various house projects!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #92 on: 26 Oct 2016, 11:26 pm »
Most well thought out room that I have seen. Congratulations!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #93 on: 26 Oct 2016, 11:32 pm »
Thanks. One thing I did forget is to wire in a smoke detector to the others in the network. So now I will be adding an independent unit. I see they now offer wireless units with a bluetooth-like protocol.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #94 on: 27 Oct 2016, 10:03 am »
Smoke detector not required by code if not considered a bedroom, but if so deemed one would also required immediately outside the room. 

We have 19 detectors, 9 of the regular ones thanks to the electrical inspector, after we'd roughed in commercial grade detectors that he wouldn't accept as they weren't wired to the panel at time of rough in. 

The commercial ones came with our security system and are remotely monitored.  They use a central battery, that gives a humane warning when it's nearly dead but has a super loud horn (so it's in a closet).  They don't use a radioactive element, so don't wear out or need replacement.  They're also "smarter" won't go off from burnt toast yet can be placed in the furnace room (why we have one more of them than the regular ones).  The regular ones all got pulled the first time one "stupidly" went off.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #95 on: 12 Nov 2016, 09:45 am »
Some newer room plots with the speakers out from the walls pretty far. Forgot the distances. Bass response has changed slightly.

Spectrogram - lots of low freq energy

Big Red Machine

« Reply #96 on: 12 Nov 2016, 09:46 am »
I'm never really sure how to interpret the RT plots:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #97 on: 12 Nov 2016, 09:48 am »
I'm not necessarily proud of this waterfall but it sounds so darn good in the room I am not sure what to adjust:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #98 on: 12 Nov 2016, 09:56 am »
I overlayed the old plot with the newer one where the newer has the speakers farther into the room. I kept more bass response. Still have that nasty 169 hz bump.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #99 on: 12 Nov 2016, 02:32 pm »
BRM,

Let's compartmentalize. Can you perform a sweep limited from let's say 15Hz - 350 Hz, without any smoothing, while making sure you are able to see the peaks and nulls? You'll have to play with the zoom feature on REW a bit. I take it that the mic is at the listening position, and your speakers have been set for best staging and imaging.

Extend the waterfall "time" to like 400-500 msec for the 15-350Hz bandwidth so you can see all the tails decay into the noise floor.

Bass is 30% of overall system performance. Once we improve that, you should be able to hear improvements in staging, tonality and so on even up into the midrange/treble.

The RT60/30 plots are hard to interpret in small room acoustics as they were meant for large room acoustics. Nevertheless, you have a "dry" sounding room. Lots of arguments abound but 0.3 is nice, greater than or equal to 0.5 is a bit too lively/bright sounding, and 0.1 and 0.2 is dry. It's enormously difficult to get 0.2 at 20 Hz-100 Hz levels! But it is not necessary to have low RT's in the bass region. Less than 0.5 is good. What RT level is noteworthy depends on the frequency range we are talking about. In any case you don't want wildly different RT numbers at 300 Hz versus 3khz for example even if your FR is flat. Redo your measurement on REW so that you are concentrating on 15 Hz to 1khz, and you'll see what I mean.

An excellent read is this: http://www.hedbackdesignedacoustics.com/files/QuickSiteImages/AMS_for_Stereo_List._Rms.pdf

Try hard to digest the above link. You will reap the rewards in doing so  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.