Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #440 on: 20 Nov 2010, 01:15 pm »
thanx, James. good to know that the MAX interface will show the sampling rate.

al.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #441 on: 21 Nov 2010, 08:45 am »
Hi al,

It does on the (BDA-1) DAC it is connected to if the feature is there on the DAC.  On the Bryston MAX interface it shows the Sample Rate and the Type of File being played.

james

...one more question, James-

the BDP-1's display won't show the sampling rate, correct?!?

al.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2010, 10:05 am by alexone »

Vipers

« Reply #442 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:16 am »
Well after all the positive comments so far it looks like I'm about to cave in and order a BDP tomorrow  :D

A couple of questions for James, cheers.

1, Can you confirm that the shipment to PMC in the UK had the sampler memory stick enclosed?

2, How do I get my hands on the Bryston Mini and Max interfaces, are they supplied on a CD?

3, Would there be any noticable perceived difference in audio quality between a standard USB hard disk against a solid state disk?

Thanks in advance.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #443 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:39 am »
Hi Vipers

1. Yes the memory stick was only suppose to be in the first 100 units but we have increased it to 200 units.

2. The Mini and Max interface is built into the internal software in the BDP-1 so any device that can see a webbrowser can communicate with the BDP. There are also terrific third party free APPs like MPOD (iTouch iPhone iPad) and MINION (with Firefox) on desktop size screens that work great as well.

3. Great question and I think I prefer flash drives (thumb drives) at this point. I have not tried any of the new solid state drives yet but we are thinking if we offer a dedicated NAS drive for the BDP-1 going forward we may do it using solid state drives.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #444 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:16 pm »
...one more question, James-

the BDA-1's display won't show the sampling rate, correct?!?

al.

Correct - the display shows the song and artist during playback and by using the front panel buttons the version of software, the Mac address, the IP address and shows the sequence on boot up.

James

Vipers

« Reply #445 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:23 pm »
Hi Vipers

1. Yes the memory stick was only suppose to be in the first 100 units but we have increased it to 200 units.

2. The Mini and Max interface is built into the internal software in the BDP-1 so any device that can see a webbrowser can communicate with the BDP. There are also terrific third party free APPs like MPOD (iTouch iPhone iPad) and MINION (with Firefox) on desktop size screens that work great as well.

3. Great question and I think I prefer flash drives (thumb drives) at this point. I have not tried any of the new solid state drives yet but we are thinking if we offer a dedicated NAS drive for the BDP-1 going forward we may do it using solid state drives.

James

Thanks James, I'll place my order tomorrow  :D

If I sit the BDP directly on the BDA I take it a 0.5m BNC to BNC coax cable will be OK for now?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #446 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:30 pm »
Hi Vipers,

I have tried a short 4 inch AES-EBU and a 1M BNC to BNC with good results. The advantage of AES-EBU to AES-EBU is you have a fully balanced signal and twice the voltage swing.

james

Vipers

« Reply #447 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:38 pm »
Hi Vipers,

I have tried a short 4 inch AES-EBU and a 1M BNC to BNC with good results. The advantage of AES-EBU to AES-EBU is you have a fully balanced signal and twice the voltage swing.

james

Thanks James, for now I'll probably just go BNC and in the new year swap over all my phono's to XLR's and then go AES aswell, would you be able to ship Bryston XLR's and AES cables to the UK when I'm ready or do you know if PMC stock them?
Cheers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #448 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:05 pm »
Thanks James, for now I'll probably just go BNC and in the new year swap over all my phono's to XLR's and then go AES aswell, would you be able to ship Bryston XLR's and AES cables to the UK when I'm ready or do you know if PMC stock them?
Cheers.

I do not think PMC stocks them.

james

Vipers

« Reply #449 on: 21 Nov 2010, 08:16 pm »
I do not think PMC stocks them.

james

OK, I'll give you a shout when I'm ready to order  :)

Gary L

« Reply #450 on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:13 am »
Correct - the display shows the song and artist during playback and by using the front panel buttons the version of software, the Mac address, the IP address and shows the sequence on boot up.

James

The BDP-1 does not display the sampling rate, but a connected BDA-1 does. Also, both Bryston apps (the MINI and the MAX) display the sampling rate.

Gary L

Welly123

« Reply #451 on: 22 Nov 2010, 08:56 am »
Hi Vipers

James
Hi James,
My first post in this forum, but I've been following the thread for quite a while and indeed ordered a BDP-1 a couple of weeks ago (but still waiting for a confirmed delivery date from PMC/Reseller). Anyway, you have mentioned the possibility of a "NAS drive" for the BDP-1 a few times now, I am very interested in this, can you please elaborate further. Is this expected to be a connected USB drive that is visible on the network (SAMBA sharing), or something more.
Thanks in advance for any information and thoughts that you care to share.
Regards
Russell

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #452 on: 22 Nov 2010, 12:24 pm »
Hi James,
My first post in this forum, but I've been following the thread for quite a while and indeed ordered a BDP-1 a couple of weeks ago (but still waiting for a confirmed delivery date from PMC/Reseller). Anyway, you have mentioned the possibility of a "NAS drive" for the BDP-1 a few times now, I am very interested in this, can you please elaborate further. Is this expected to be a connected USB drive that is visible on the network (SAMBA sharing), or something more.
Thanks in advance for any information and thoughts that you care to share.
Regards
Russell

Hi Russell,

We are still discussing it so we are open to ideas.

james

nikon

« Reply #453 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:20 pm »

From the photo you posted of the BDP1 innards, it looks like you're using a PC Engines Alix 1d Geode motherboard. Can I assume you're using Voyage Linux as well?

Nick

James

Is this the board used in the BDP-1 (sorry for large image  :o) and is it modified by Bryston

Welly123

« Reply #454 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:26 pm »
Hi Russell,

We are still discussing it so we are open to ideas.

james
James,
I believe that SAMBA protocols are a standard inclusion in Linux, (but I am far from an expert), but this could have been one of the elements that was "stripped"... If included/activated then any drives connected to the BDP-1 (regardless of connection type) would be visible on the network... so it should only be a case of software changes... My interest here is that it would eliminate the need to remove/reconnect/rescan the USB drive in order to add new music files. As long as a drive is visible and accessible on the network, then it could be considered as a NAS anyway.
Regards
Russell

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #455 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:36 pm »
Hi Russell

Yes we have discussed the idea of the BDP becoming a NAS and I have experimented with transferring files over the network with good results so far. As long as the destination drive is formatted FAT.

A NTSF destination drive is an issue because Windows is so protective of it (read/write). Transfering from a NTSF to a FAT drive over the network is not a problem. Most USB flash drives are pre formatted FAT and of course you can re-format a USB NTFS hard-drive easily if your going to connect it to the BDP-1.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #456 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:45 pm »
James

Is this the board used in the BDP-1 (sorry for large image  :o) and is it modified by Bryston

Hi nikon

Looks like it - will check with engineering. We remove the video, bypass the on board sound circuits and we alter the CMOS settings and of course write the software for the flashcard. 

James

Welly123

« Reply #457 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:59 pm »
Hi Russell

Yes we have discussed the idea of the BDP becoming a NAS and I have experimented with transferring files over the network with good results so far. As long as the destination drive is formatted FAT.

A NTSF destination drive is an issue because Windows is so protective of it (read/write). Transfering from a NTSF to a FAT drive over the network is not a problem. Most USB flash drives are pre formatted FAT and of course you can re-format a USB NTFS hard-drive easily if your going to connect it to the BDP-1.

James

Thanks James,
Has ExFAT format been tested?
EDIT - Will the capability you describe above be made available in a FW update?
Russell

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #458 on: 22 Nov 2010, 02:11 pm »
Current software already has the above feature and yes going forward we will offer online updates as we add more freatures.

I will check on the ExFat question.

james

Mag

« Reply #459 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:34 pm »

[/quote]

Kids, this is why you need to go to school. Unless you want to be a dummy all your life! :scratch: