Omega SAM and subwoofers

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Omega SAM and subwoofers
« Reply #20 on: 3 Feb 2020, 04:49 pm »
Pete, do you use a separate high pass crossover control for the F8 mid-woofers, and if so, where do you set the frequency cut-off? I'm just curious how you blend the mid-woofers with the SAM XRS since they seem to have a fairly broad frequency overlap and the mid-bass from the SAM XRS should already be quite good. In my room, my "regular" SAMs only need a touch of weight in the 30Hz-50Hz range hoping to fill in with subwoofer(s). My system is for music only and I mostly listen to jazz, blues, and folk music, and occasionally classic rock.

The mid-woofers go from ~60 down to 30Hz.  My subs from 30 down to 14Hz.  All by ear.  I set the upper frequency by starting higher and reducing until any muddiness from too much overlap.  I have REM with mic and all, but have been too lazy to do objective measurements.  The Rythmik mids and subs are incredibly clean, fast, and defined, so very little bass bloom, boom, etc. 

Oh...  almost forgot and very material:  I have plugged the ports in the SAM HO's.  When listening to them alone (without bass foundation), I find plugging the port tightens up the bass dramatically.  That raises the low end response frequency though.  But with the midwoofers, that's perfectly fine. 

......Pete

AvsFan

« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2020, 06:01 am »
The mid-woofers go from ~60 down to 30Hz.  My subs from 30 down to 14Hz.  All by ear.  I set the upper frequency by starting higher and reducing until any muddiness from too much overlap.  I have REM with mic and all, but have been too lazy to do objective measurements.  The Rythmik mids and subs are incredibly clean, fast, and defined, so very little bass bloom, boom, etc. 

Oh...  almost forgot and very material:  I have plugged the ports in the SAM HO's.  When listening to them alone (without bass foundation), I find plugging the port tightens up the bass dramatically.  That raises the low end response frequency though.  But with the midwoofers, that's perfectly fine. 

......Pete

Would you consider the DeepHemp 8 that Louis offers a sub or a mid-woofer? Stats on the sub are 28Hz-160Hz. I am getting ready to buy the dual version of this, not two separate Deep 8's but two 8 inch drivers in the same cabinet. and was wondering what people thought of it of if anyone has heard the dual 8 DeepHemp Sub?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2020, 06:58 pm »
Would you consider the DeepHemp 8 that Louis offers a sub or a mid-woofer? Stats on the sub are 28Hz-160Hz. I am getting ready to buy the dual version of this, not two separate Deep 8's but two 8 inch drivers in the same cabinet. and was wondering what people thought of it of if anyone has heard the dual 8 DeepHemp Sub?

I'll let others reply since I've not heard Omega subs.  I wouldn't doubt that they are fast and a good match though.

AvsFan

« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2020, 08:58 pm »
I'll let others reply since I've not heard Omega subs.  I wouldn't doubt that they are fast and a good match though.

Well I am getting an Omega dual 8 inch sub. Will post pictures and my impression once I have it. 

jmolsberg

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2020, 10:02 pm »
^ very nice

AvsFan

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2020, 10:54 pm »
^ very nice

Yeah, I am SUPER excited. I need a fast and articulate sub to match with my Magnepan LRS's or the new dual driver RS5 driver speakers Louis is building me.

jmolsberg

« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2020, 11:54 pm »
That rs5 is certainly a special driver. If I went the sub route it would be Louis’ for sure

AvsFan

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2020, 12:44 am »
That rs5 is certainly a special driver. If I went the sub route it would be Louis’ for sure

Yeah, I know it is, so are his subs. I owned a pair of Super 3XRS's Supercharged models a few year back with the built in 8 inch subs. AMAZING! Should have never sold them. At the time I could only have one system. Now I have 4 different ones. LOL. So it's fun mixing and matching and seeing what sounds good in what room and having different systems for what I am in the mood for. We will see but I bet that dual 8 sub will sound fantastic with the Maggie's.

But going back to the RS5 driver, man oh man, it is special and Louis builds the cabinet to take full advantage of it. Can't wait for those too. 

Kalali

« Reply #28 on: 18 Feb 2020, 05:50 pm »
I’m intrigued by the dual 8” driver subwoofer you have ordered. Is it a “special “ order piece and could you please share the dimensions and the driver configurations, e.g., bottom, front, etc.?
Thanks.