5.1 media player with analogue outs

goodguys

5.1 media player with analogue outs
« on: 5 Jul 2020, 07:18 am »
Hi!

Have you seen an audiophile quality media player with 5.1 analogue outputs for connecting to a 5.1 amplifier. There used to be an old dune one many years ago, but the sound was not audiophile.

Have noticed some bluray players can do this, but reports of problems that some file types are incompatabile, no upmixing or down mixing capabilities.

What is the best way to go on this, is there a solution for playing back movies or music directly into a multichannel amplifier.

Thanks

Phil A

Re: 5.1 media player with analogue outs
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2020, 12:53 pm »
Probably except for the more expensive units, many Blu-Ray players have eliminated analog outs.  I only have it a short while, so not familiar with all the capabilities but the Panasonic UB9000 seems to have lots of options.  I mainly use the unit for UHD and other video discs but have used it a couple of times to play 2-channel files stored on my Synology NAS and it can play up to quad DSD.  It has options for the type of (UHD) display one uses as well as options that simulate different type of tube outputs.  I have actually disconnected my iFi Tube Buffer (and sold that) and my Teac UD-501 DAC (may sell that soon) and just use the network connection into the UB9000.  Oppo players also had lots of options (and I have a 103D in the main system, another 103D in the bedroom system and a 203 in the upstairs bonus room).  I mainly use a couple of those players for home theater but do use file playback now and then.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2020, 05:00 pm »
I have an Oppo BDP-103, there are plenty on eBay but I am surprised how pricey they still are. I briefly tried the analog outputs a few months ago when the SSD in my music server died. Compared to the music server and DAC the Oppo analog outs into my preamp sounded horrible when playing CD's, like a blanket was thrown over the music. The sound is better than TV sound or a cheap soundbar but definitely not audiophile. The digital out into a DAC is acceptable but still not at the level of a good music server/media player.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2020, 06:46 pm »
Yes - they are pricey.  I've debated a few times about selling my 203.  It sat in my UHD home theater I have in a small bedroom.  I upgraded the TV, including the size and gotten the Panasonic UB9000, which, although it won't play all the disc formats the Oppo does (not important to me), plays files from the network (and I don't use that system tons for music vs. my main system and other back-up ones).  The 203 and my old 55 inch UHD TV now sit in the upstairs bonus room (basically a guest bedroom).  While the system upstairs doesn't see tons of use, it is my back-up 3D system, and the 203 plays files from my NAS.  The Panasonic UB9000 is way better vs. the 203 playing music.  I have a couple of 103Ds.  One is in the main system and it is only used for video.  The other is in my master bedroom and doesn't see tons of use (lots of Netflix in the bedroom), I do use it on rare instances to play music on the outdooor speakers from the NAS.  The 203 is better than the 103 for music but vs. what I have in the main system for 2-channel it's OK.  I used my old (Modwright solid state modded) Oppo 83 for a long time in my main system using the analog outs into an old Brystom SP1.7 (no HDMI) and it is sounded good (better than the non-modded Oppo 83 for sure) but after a bit I found (before going to file playback) that an HDMI audio de-embedder taking an SACD at 24/88.2 (and the 83 would pass 192kHz via the coax out from DVD-As) into the DAC was my preference.  I still have the modded Oppo in the main system in case someone brings a disc over as I'm 100% file playback.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2020, 09:11 pm »
A higher end AVR (Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, etc.) will provide streaming and preamp out capabilities. An AVP from the same brands will provide streaming and by design will have (only) analog outputs for all audio channels.

In both cases if you need  a physical media player you can feed an HDMI bluray player to the AVR or AVP.

I think you are looking at $500+ unless you want to purchased a used unit.

goodguys

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2020, 07:33 am »
Thank you for the replies, much appreciated