BDP-2 Digital Player

MoPac

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1900 on: 3 Jul 2017, 06:07 pm »
Chris or anyone:
 Thinking about a BDA-3.  Does the BDP-2 send DSD256?

Rich

MoPac

« Reply #1901 on: 17 Jul 2017, 06:13 pm »
S2.34 2017-06-20
Chris:
 Have had a couple of power outages in the last month.  My procedure is to turn off the BDP, unplug -- replug in, and finally turn the BDP back on.  In the past this has worked OK.

The last couple of times, after above, new tracks added do not update properly; The data base progress window on the bottom right never shows yet the tracks do turn from red to gray.  Although they appear to be ready to use ( gray not red ) adding them to a playlist does not work.  I can add them and MM shows they were added but when I attempt to save the playlist the word "Saved!" never shows on the playlist save window and the tracks do not show when looking at the M3U playlist in the playlist folder.

The resolution is to reboot the BDP from the Dashboard after which the added tracks are red again.  Now they can be added by clicking on + and the data base window does show.

For some reason I now have to add the Dashboard / Reboot BDP step after a power outage.  Is this normal?

Thanks. Rich

Pundamilia

SSD Recommendations for BDP-2
« Reply #1902 on: 15 Aug 2017, 05:41 pm »
Are there any specific brand or model recommendations that you can give for installing an internal SSD into a BDP-2? Are there any specific brands or models that we should AVOID because they are know to cause problems? What brands do you use or know that others are using without creating any issues?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1903 on: 15 Aug 2017, 05:48 pm »
We've been having reasonably good luck with 512GB Samsung EVO 850 drive, although we still recommend using a hard drive (WD's line is pretty solid).

Pundamilia

« Reply #1904 on: 15 Aug 2017, 05:52 pm »
Interesting. I was thinking of using that particular SSD as I have had good experiences with them in Windows 7 computers.

I seem to recall a post where James mentioned that he is using an SSD.

Can you elaborate as to why HDDs are preferred? I know that speed/performance is not an issue, but I would have thought that an electronic device inside would have been preferable to a mechanical device.

Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1905 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:19 pm »
Interesting. I was thinking of using that particular SSD as I have had good experiences with them in Windows 7 computers.

I seem to recall a post where James mentioned that he is using an SSD.

Can you elaborate as to why HDDs are preferred? I know that speed/performance is not an issue, but I would have thought that an electronic device inside would have been preferable to a mechanical device.

Thanks.

Well its electrical noise from a motor (hard drive) or electrical noise from billions/trillions of transistors (solid state drive), pick your poison.  There are numerous reasons for one or the other and ultimately I feel the hard drives edges it out slightly on price and potential maximum power consumption.

Pundamilia

« Reply #1906 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:32 pm »
OK, thanks. I will try an internal HD (replacing current external USB HD) first.

zoom25

« Reply #1907 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:39 pm »
Well its electrical noise from a motor (hard drive) or electrical noise from billions/trillions of transistors (solid state drive), pick your poison.  There are numerous reasons for one or the other and ultimately I feel the hard drives edges it out slightly on price and potential maximum power consumption.

Exactly what I found. Ultimately, if I absolutely had to mount something inside, I'd go for a SSD.

However, from both a convenient and sound quality standpoint, I've found that it's best to not run any hard drives and perhaps even thumb drives directly from the BDP-1's USB ports. More testing required for the thumb drive on external power, but very clear on running portable drives.

I switched to an external powered usb hub. I use the portable 5400 RPM 2.5" WD hard drives that are silent, little to no vibration felt, and remain very durable. The 3.5 ones are noisier. I've already added a Jitterbug to the output cable of the hub that connects to the BDP-1 which beat out any hard drive or flash drive combination I tried when directly attached to the BDP-1. Without the Jitterbug however, the external powered drives are dead last.

BTW the hub is being powered by a cheap SMPS with only a Jitterbug to remedy the noise and is already ahead of the direct connections with the BDP-1. I can't wait to hear how much better it can get when I swap out the SMPS with a LPS. The incoming Torus should also further help.

I tried looking for the actual power consumption of these portable WD My Passport hard drives, but couldn't find any. Chris, if you by any chance know how much power they actually consume, can you please let me know? Thanks!

zoom25

« Reply #1908 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:54 pm »
I will admit that this is not what Bryston, or Bryston owners, or I wanted to hear...The last thing you want to do after spending all this money is to get a separate hub and add Jitterbugs. (BTW this is only on BDP-1, so perhaps it's not of concern on BDP-2/3?).

I can't help it. I heard the darn thing. :duh: Shouldn't have done it. Now no going back. Ordered a second Jitterbug as well.

At the very least, Bryston gets free investigative reporting. :thumb: I like to imagine Bryston engineers huddling around reading my posts together in their engineering cave.  :lol: :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1909 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:04 pm »
Still use a powered hub even with BDP-2. Had it too for BDP-1 for 5 years. No power issues whatsoever or SQ compromises.  Portable G-Drives (1-2TB) plugged into hub.
Bryston hit a HR with both units, esp with BDP-2.  :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #1910 on: 16 Aug 2017, 08:29 pm »
Still use a powered hub even with BDP-2. Had it too for BDP-1 for 5 years. No power issues whatsoever or SQ compromises.  Portable G-Drives (1-2TB) plugged into hub.
Bryston hit a HR with both units, esp with BDP-2.  :thumb:

Yeah I have kept your comments in mind. Aren't you using some Shunyata stuff for the whole rig?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1911 on: 16 Aug 2017, 11:11 pm »

Yeah I have kept your comments in mind. Aren't you using some Shunyata stuff for the whole rig?

Yes, everything (except hub and woofer) plugged into Triton/Typhon combo. Will never look back.
Enjoy the music

Krutsch

« Reply #1912 on: 17 Aug 2017, 03:10 pm »

However, from both a convenient and sound quality standpoint, I've found that it's best to not run any hard drives and perhaps even thumb drives directly from the BDP-1's USB ports. More testing required for the thumb drive on external power, but very clear on running portable drives.

Hey @zoom25, if you are really that worried about electrical noise from your music storage, you should consider removing all of it/them and switch to a NAS device, like an inexpensive WD MyCloud. Ethernet has galvanic isolation built-in and that should be end-game for what you seek.

Food for thought...

zoom25

« Reply #1913 on: 17 Aug 2017, 08:10 pm »
Hey @zoom25, if you are really that worried about electrical noise from your music storage, you should consider removing all of it/them and switch to a NAS device, like an inexpensive WD MyCloud. Ethernet has galvanic isolation built-in and that should be end-game for what you seek.

Food for thought...

Hmmm, I'm not really worried about electrical noise, far from it. I used to think USB plugged in was about the best you could do. So at this point, it's just how far I can take it at a reasonable price.

The power line adapters were crap. They are out completely. Unfortunately, the room is too far to run ethernet from router. Even if I could, I've still heard that the galvanic isolation doesn't solve all of the problems. So I do have an idea in mind. I'm waiting for the upcoming Bryston Wifi USB dongle. That way I don't need to worry about USB hard drives or media storage at all. The USB drives attached to the router or a dedicated NAS will be in another room.

There's three ways I'm thinking so far:

1) Plug the Dongle into BDP-1 USB port directly.

2) Same as above but with a Jitterbug in the middle.

3) Plug the Dongle into a USB hub with nothing connected to it and on the output cable to the BDP-1, throw a Jitterbug then. Maybe a LPS for the hub.

I already have the hub and an additional Jitterbug to mess around with. I'll try the 3 settings and see where that takes me and if I want to invest in a LPS for the hub. If I pursue it, the LPS for the hub will be the absolute last thing I will get to push the BDP-1's maximum performance. No more after that. It's already so far ahead of the other computers that I have and the previous BDP-1 configurations I've used. It's almost just for academics at this point.

Overall, the priority isn't that high on the list. I'm far more concerned with getting internet connection again to the BDP-1. I want to try out the Sounirok app that's been sitting for over a month without use. Chill out with internet radio once in a while.

James or Chris, has there been any updates on the USB dongle? Pricing or availability?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1914 on: 17 Aug 2017, 09:15 pm »
I am using a prototype BDP-3 Chris put together for me with an internal wifi dongle and its working great in my Room 3.

james

zoom25

« Reply #1915 on: 17 Aug 2017, 09:58 pm »
I am using a prototype BDP-3 Chris put together for me with an internal wifi dongle and its working great in my Room 3.

james

Is the BDP-3 still in prototype stage or are there units that have started shipping?

"Internal wifi dongle"...is that a different design than the previous designs that you and other users wanted but ultimately thought would negatively affect performance. I remember you saying that adding wifi would be bad for noise. Hence, ethernet only. So clearly, this must be different, right?

Just trying to understand...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1916 on: 17 Aug 2017, 10:04 pm »
Is the BDP-3 still in prototype stage or are there units that have started shipping?

"Internal wifi dongle"...is that a different design than the previous designs that you and other users wanted but ultimately thought would negatively affect performance. I remember you saying that adding wifi would be bad for noise. Hence, ethernet only. So clearly, this must be different, right?

Just trying to understand...

Hi

Yes we are experimenting with internal vs what is available now - which is the external dongle.

The external dongle works well but some customers and dealers have expressed an interest in an internal option.

James

zoom25

« Reply #1917 on: 17 Aug 2017, 11:23 pm »
Hi

Yes we are experimenting with internal vs what is available now - which is the external dongle.

The external dongle works well but some customers and dealers have expressed an interest in an internal option.

James

Internal would look neat and clean for sure, but could negatively impact performance. More than that, how will that impact upgradability? If the speed is already good enough for high-res uncompressed and for Roon purposes, then you won't have to worry about speed as a feature to upgrade in the future.

Will this Wifi dongle work with other devices, or just the BDP?

My android IPTV box came with this wifi USB adapter: http://buylanka.lk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/UT8V_9wXmVXXXagOFbXW.jpg

In the time being, can I use this adapter to try out with the BDP either now or when the new update comes? Or will the update only support the Bryston dongle?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1918 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:14 am »
Internal would look neat and clean for sure, but could negatively impact performance. More than that, how will that impact upgradability? If the speed is already good enough for high-res uncompressed and for Roon purposes, then you won't have to worry about speed as a feature to upgrade in the future.

Will this Wifi dongle work with other devices, or just the BDP?

My android IPTV box came with this wifi USB adapter: http://buylanka.lk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/UT8V_9wXmVXXXagOFbXW.jpg

In the time being, can I use this adapter to try out with the BDP either now or when the new update comes? Or will the update only support the Bryston dongle?

Its a Chris question but I believe the update is for use with our dongle.

james

gbaby

« Reply #1919 on: 19 Aug 2017, 06:44 pm »
Chris or anyone:
 Thinking about a BDA-3.  Does the BDP-2 send DSD256?

Rich

Yes.