DefTech Active Speakers on Sale 75% Off!

witchdoctor

DefTech Active Speakers on Sale 75% Off!
« on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:34 pm »
The DefTech W7 active speaker is available on Amazon for $99 ($400 MSRP). You can connect via analog, digital, or wireless. Description can be found here:

https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/w7#Support

review:

https://www.residentialsystems.com/technology/review-definitive-technologys-w7-and-w9-wireless-speakers

Phil A

Re: DefTech Active Speakers on Sale 75% Off!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2019, 02:03 am »
Thanks for posting the info (I have an Ethernet connection in the ktichen behind the coffee make where I may eventually get one of these devices - my files are on an NAS but I need DSD as I have too many of those).  For those interested here are specs from the manual:

"W7 Specifications Dimensions 5.87” W x 6.93” H x 6.65” D Weight 5.8 lbs Inputs Optical, Analog, Ethernet, USB-A for firmware updates Driver Complement One front-firing 4.0” midwoofer; four 1.0” aluminum dome tweeters; two 4.0” bass radiators Amplification 1 x 30W Woofer; 4 x 15W tweeters Wireless Connectivity 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz Warranty 1 Year

DTS Play-Fi Accepted File Formats: • mp3 (MPEG Layer III) • m4a and aac (Advanced Audio Coding) • flac (Free Lossless Audio Codec) • wav (Waveform Audio File) File Quality: • Lossless file reproduction up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD Quality) and proper file handling for full compatibility with all high-resolution music up to 24bit/192k. • Plays all format bitrates [kbps]. DTS Play-Fi transmits hi-resolution files, but it does down-sample them so that they can be distributed throughout a home."

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2019, 02:53 am »
I ordered one to check it out, if all good I'll order a second one to make it a stereo pair.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2019, 03:19 pm »
So I have setup a pair of the DefTech W7 speakers as a stereo pair in my dining room. The best placement was in the corners of the room towed in toward the dining room table a little. The speakers have an active driver in front and a passive driver on the L and R sides. A corner placement elevates the bass response and really helps thos passive drivers diffuse sound around the room. The speakers are small but I don't find a need for a subwoofer at all, GREAT bass with proper placement.

This setup is fantastic, no way you can do better on your own even at full retail of $800 a pair (I scored these on amazon for $100 each!). Letting the vendor match the drivers, the amps, the DAC, the DSP is the way to go IMO. I LOVE the fact I have no interconnects or speaker wires. If I were starting all over in audio I would never buy a "box" (amp, cdp, preamp) again except for home theater. For audio, no way. If the W7's sound this good I can't imagine a pair of their big brother the W9.

BTW, the software is DLNA enabled so if you have files or hirez on a hard drive NP. They also have a linein and an optical spdif in if you are inclined you can connect a CDP or a DAP directly.