The MacSandwich is now available...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: The MacSandwich is now available...
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:12 pm »
Dave

I do think it's important to offer it for the older Mini too. 

BTW-where's the phone jack port on the Sandwich?   :lol:

Geez.  Between the Mach2 upgrades, MacSandwich, Tranquility Labs DAC, Power Cord & USB Cable the soundstage must be as wide as Lincoln Center.  Everytime I read something the soundstage has gotten wider, deeper......  :rotflmao:

Another thought.   :o

What about the hard drive(s)?  At least the Mini most people have placed SSD in them so damping isn't as much of a concern.  The external drives though have that spining drive (7200) in them.  Not only for damping but what about the EMI / RFI? 

Where does it end?
This means I would need a Triple MacSandwich.  That sounds yummy.

I think that the point on the older Mini is a valid one.  I'll add it to the bucket list.  Same with the hard drive thing.  The people that bought the Iomegas that match the footprint of the older Mini can buy intermediate mass/spacers to deal with the problem... Dude! you always come up with good ideas.   :thumb:  The spinning HDD is a problem, I'm sure.  We are finding out a lot about what makes server based audio kick ass and some of it is the tiny stuff you really wouldn't consider very important. 

I am beginning to wonder where it all ends, too.  When I kicked this server audio thing down the hill here in Albuquerque with the purchase of my Tranquility DAC we were all amazed at just how good it sounded.  Looking back at those days a few months ago seems like peering into the dark ages.  Who knew?

The fringe of the soundstage developed here in Albuquerque is in your backyard.   :thumb:   Seriously.  when all of this stuff is added up it is pretty amazing.  Listen to it all and then take it away and the sense of loss is like having the dog die.   :cry:   Bummer.

Would you like fries with your triple decker?

heh, heh.

Dave
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 01:12 am by dBe »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:26 pm »
I came back to answer the post about why the MacSandwich isn't bolted together an just relies upon gravity to do the job.  It has been removed, but was a good post... wish it were still here.

The prototypes were screwed together with 1/4-32 stainless steel flathead screws from the bottom.  I went away from this idea for a couple of reasons.  First (and I'm being blunt, as usual) is that I didn't want some ham fisted audiophool to think that if a little clamping pressure is good then too much is just barely enough.  I can just hear THAT phonecall now: "You ^%#$#%#*(*_^&! It's YOUR fault that I crushed my Mini!?!!"  I don't need that call.  The other reasons are:  screwing the MacSandwich together would make a mass with a more pronounced resonant structure centered around a common frequency.  It is better to have a broader, lower 'Q' resonance to absorb.  The final reason is that having them separated and located by pins allows for stacking.  See Jason's rig.  Oh yeah - the post final reason: the satin pins look better than the threads on the screws...

Medex is a water resistant form of MDF.  It is denser, stiffer and more dimensionally stable than regular MDF.  It machines well and paints well.  The resonant structure is higher in frequency than MDF and is a bit easier to deal with.

There you have it.

Dave
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 10:19 pm by dBe »

SDFish

« Reply #22 on: 20 Nov 2010, 03:22 pm »
Does the MacSandwich still let the IR apple remote work?  I don't know where the IR receiver is on the new Mimi.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2010, 04:20 pm »
Does the MacSandwich still let the IR apple remote work?  I don't know where the IR receiver is on the new Mimi.
Yes, it still works.

Dave

rogerdn

« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:59 am »
Let me tell you these two will transform your Mini like you would never think possible, yes sound stage, air, dynamics, all my CD's now sound much better than on my Esoteric CDP, not a shabby player BTW, I could not have been more pleasantly surprised.   Dave has done it AGAIN.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2010, 05:23 am »
Let me tell you these two will transform your Mini like you would never think possible, yes sound stage, air, dynamics, all my CD's now sound much better than on my Esoteric CDP, not a shabby player BTW, I could not have been more pleasantly surprised.   Dave has done it AGAIN.
Thank you for taking the time to post your findings on the MPC/Mini and the MacSandwich.  Either one is darned good by itself, but both used in conjunction is a VERY good thing.  Im blessed that you like them   :D

Dave

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #26 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:03 pm »
I am really digging the MacSandwich. It clearly improves the imaging. Placement of things in the sound stage are more refined and less fuzzy. I highly recommend it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:37 pm »
I am really digging the MacSandwich. It clearly improves the imaging. Placement of things in the sound stage are more refined and less fuzzy. I highly recommend it.

Let's see your MacSandwich setup!   :thumb:

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #28 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:37 pm »
I made its own isolation platform that it shares with the Signature Tranquility DAC. The platform is 1.25" thick MDF on spikes.

I then put some old Lovan isolation spikes (that I have had for a long time) under the MacSandwich. It almost makes it too tall to fit under the Lovan rack that my pre-amp is on. The top half of the MacSandwich is underneath the rack and there is just enough room to slide a CD into the slot on the Mac.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #29 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:04 pm »
I made its own isolation platform that it shares with the Signature Tranquility DAC. The platform is 1.25" thick MDF on spikes.

I then put some old Lovan isolation spikes (that I have had for a long time) under the MacSandwich. It almost makes it too tall to fit under the Lovan rack that my pre-amp is on. The top half of the MacSandwich is underneath the rack and there is just enough room to slide a CD into the slot on the Mac.

Hey, Dude.  How about a DACSandwich for your Tranquility?

No, it never ends  :lol:

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:08 pm »
How about a DACSandwich for your Tranquility?

Boing!

No, I don't want one for my dac.   :nono: 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #31 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:16 pm »
Boing!

No, I don't want one for my dac.   :nono:
One for that Crimson would be tough, but not undoable. 

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Jason.

Dave 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:34 pm »
One for that Crimson would be tough, but not undoable. 
Dave

I couldn't do it!  It would be like clothing a super model.   :D

I could use "MajikPacks" on it though.    :wink: :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #33 on: 23 Nov 2010, 05:01 pm »
I couldn't do it!  It would be like clothing a super model.   :D

I could use "MajikPacks" on it though.    :wink: :thumb:
There you go, AGAIN!     :idea: :green:  :idea:

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 23 Nov 2010, 05:20 pm »
There you go, AGAIN!     :idea: :green:  :idea:

Dave

:whip: Get to it!  :whip:

:dance:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #35 on: 23 Nov 2010, 06:54 pm »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
MacSandwich Update!
« Reply #36 on: 7 Dec 2010, 09:00 pm »
I want to thank everyone that has ordered the MacSandwich from me.  The response to this isolation platform has been a bit overwhelming and I had to bump my initial run twice to insure that people would be getting them in a timely manner... not months from now.  I appreciate everyone's patience on this and I should be able to ship all of the orders by the end of this week. 

Speaking from the standpoint of being a one man small business that makes widgets for the audio industry, I am very thankful for the customers that I have and I truly appreciate that family of customers more than I can say.  It has always been my intention to provide very high quality widgets in the most customer friendly manner possible.  I am very thankful for the business that I have in this economy and am heartened by the understanding of all of you that quality takes time.

Is the Audio Circle Family great, or what?!!

You all are the best!!!   :thumb:

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 7 Dec 2010, 10:46 pm »
I look forward to seeing this thread full of pics of them.   :thumb:

ZLS

A Review Of The MacSandwich
« Reply #38 on: 25 Dec 2010, 11:44 pm »
     To myself, music is at it's essence all about communication. 
First, the Musicians communicating with their instruments. 
Second, the Musicians communicating with each other. 
Third, the Musicians communicating with the audience. 

I judge any component that I introduce into my system on whether or not it helps or hinders my ability to hear this communication that is always happening. 

Based on this criteria, the MacSandwich is a resounding success. 
It takes my outstanding modified Mach2Mini, and allows the music to flow more effortlessly. 
    Specifics on how this manifests itself? 
             1) Incredible Quiet; the threshold of noise is lower than I have personally experienced in over 4 decades of being an Audiophile. 
             2) Detail retrieval, probably as a result of the lack of back round noise is just there.  It is natural, never forced.  As the cliche goes, I am hearing more of what the musicians are trying to communicate.  From when they take a breath, to the little asides as they urge each other on; I am gaining a whole new appreciation of each song. 
             3) Soundstage, both height and width, is so dramatic that it approaches the eerie. 
    The phrase that comes to my mind is "A Wall Of Sound" 

Here are a list of songs that I listened to repeatedly to get this sense of what the MacSandwich accomplishes. 

1. Billie Holiday: Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You (If you ever had your heart broken in love, then this is like an national anthem)
                                                    2. Johnny Hodges: Alto Sax Solo on Ishfahan from the Duke Ellington's Far East Suite. (This music is achingly beautiful)
                                                    3. Bonnie Raitt: Love Me Like A Man-Live (She sings, and I stand in front of my Speakers saying, "Take me baby; I can do the job!")
                                                    4. Millie Jackson: All The Way Lover (Great R&B plus a monologue that will have you rolling on the floor laughing. 
                                                    5.Aaron Neville: Save The Last Dance For Me ( written by a man who was stricken by Polio while he watched his new bride dancing with everyone at their wedding; unbelievably poignant)

For each and everyone of these songs, and all the others I have listened to, the MacSandwich has always made for my better understanding and increased enjoyment of my music.

A wonderful addition to the Mach2 Mini, and no doubt would be a great addition to any Mac Mini based system. 

Thank you for producing a product that so clearly has added to my enjoymnt of my music.     

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: A Review Of The MacSandwich
« Reply #39 on: 26 Dec 2010, 03:20 am »
     To myself, music is at it's essence all about communication. 
First, the Musicians communicating with their instruments. 
Second, the Musicians communicating with each other. 
Third, the Musicians communicating with the audience. 

I judge any component that I introduce into my system on whether or not it helps or hinders my ability to hear this communication that is always happening. 

Based on this criteria, the MacSandwich is a resounding success. 
It takes my outstanding modified Mach2Mini, and allows the music to flow more effortlessly. 
    Specifics on how this manifests itself? 
             1) Incredible Quiet; the threshold of noise is lower than I have personally experienced in over 4 decades of being an Audiophile. 
             2) Detail retrieval, probably as a result of the lack of back round noise is just there.  It is natural, never forced.  As the cliche goes, I am hearing more of what the musicians are trying to communicate.  From when they take a breath, to the little asides as they urge each other on; I am gaining a whole new appreciation of each song. 
             3) Soundstage, both height and width, is so dramatic that it approaches the eerie. 
    The phrase that comes to my mind is "A Wall Of Sound" 

Here are a list of songs that I listened to repeatedly to get this sense of what the MacSandwich accomplishes. 

1. Billie Holiday: Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You (If you ever had your heart broken in love, then this is like an national anthem)
                                                    2. Johnny Hodges: Alto Sax Solo on Ishfahan from the Duke Ellington's Far East Suite. (This music is achingly beautiful)
                                                    3. Bonnie Raitt: Love Me Like A Man-Live (She sings, and I stand in front of my Speakers saying, "Take me baby; I can do the job!")
                                                    4. Millie Jackson: All The Way Lover (Great R&B plus a monologue that will have you rolling on the floor laughing. 
                                                    5.Aaron Neville: Save The Last Dance For Me ( written by a man who was stricken by Polio while he watched his new bride dancing with everyone at their wedding; unbelievably poignant)

For each and everyone of these songs, and all the others I have listened to, the MacSandwich has always made for my better understanding and increased enjoyment of my music.

A wonderful addition to the Mach2 Mini, and no doubt would be a great addition to any Mac Mini based system. 

Thank you for producing a product that so clearly has added to my enjoymnt of my music.     

Zachary, your review, description and appreciation are exactly the reasons that I do what I do.  Finding like minded music lovers that value getting closer to the emotion in the performances drives me.

You are very welcome and it is my pleasure, indeed.

Dave