Dwight

christopher3393

Re: LIO - What's not to like?
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2014, 10:56 am »
Did you get a chance to hear it?

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2014, 03:20 pm »
Heard it briefly, but too late in the day and it was getting loud in the room, so not great for evaluation. But I hope to stop by in quieter times today. Gotta say hi to Vinnie, who was talking with another designer about circuit stuff way above my head.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2014, 03:45 pm »
I heard it with headphones that I'm not familiar with but it sounded very nice.  The design and execution is very well done.  These units are prototype boards  and cases and they still looked top notch.  Throw in Vinnie and his wife and I don't see how this will not sell. 

He said pre orders start next week with free shipping anywhere in the world for a limited time.  30 day money back too.   :o   If I wanted/needed a one box solution this is what I'd do for sure. 

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:23 am »
I'm not very familiar with Red Wine's battery stuff over the years, but I've always followed the circle with  interest because he's not afraid to innovate and the products always seem so well thought out. This year, I had a chance to talk with Vinnie and Alexis at length about the new LIO and it was so cool, I couldn't pull myself away.

The application of ultracapacitor power banks seems absolutely brilliant, at least in concept, and also by what I saw in the prototype. Though modular construction is really nothing new, it's the planning, execution, flexibility, and attention to every minute detail here that make this piece very, very special.

For me, this was the most impressive new product at the show and I expect it will be a winner. I hope they sell a gazillion, because while they're really smart, I learned they're also really nice people who love what they do and clearly know what they're doing.

Oh, and Vinnie's "prototypes" looked cleaner inside than most other manufacturers' rev 4 production models.

I do hope I can give one a try at some point, but with so many possible configurations, where to start ...

Overall, a fantastic looking product with great potential!

christopher3393

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2014, 10:54 am »
I'm not very familiar with Red Wine's battery stuff over the years, but I've always followed the circle with  interest because he's not afraid to innovate and the products always seem so well thought out. This year, I had a chance to talk with Vinnie and Alexis at length about the new LIO and it was so cool, I couldn't pull myself away.

The application of ultracapacitor power banks seems absolutely brilliant, at least in concept, and also by what I saw in the prototype. Though modular construction is really nothing new, it's the planning, execution, flexibility, and attention to every minute detail here that make this piece very, very special.

For me, this was the most impressive new product at the show and I expect it will be a winner. I hope they sell a gazillion, because while they're really smart, I learned they're also really nice people who love what they do and clearly know what they're doing.

Oh, and Vinnie's "prototypes" looked cleaner inside than most other manufacturers' rev 4 production models.

I do hope I can give one a try at some point, but with so many possible configurations, where to start ...

Overall, a fantastic looking product with great potential!

Hi Tom. Did you get a chance to hear it?

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm »
Hi Tom. Did you get a chance to hear it?
I very briefly listened to the autoformer version on the headphones, but it was very noisy in the hall, unfamiliar music, etc. I'm not really a headphone guy either, so unfortunately can't offer much on the sound.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2014, 12:52 pm »
Hard to service and repair,all those tiny chips and complexity of pcb...
otherwise it is cool... :thumb:
I'm sure you're kidding.  The best part is since it is modular and customer serviced Vinnie would send a new module and the customer would install it.  Literally thumb screws to install a new module. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:54 pm »
I was not familiar with the headphones, but it sounded really nice. Good idea for sure!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:47 pm »
I was not familiar with the headphones, but it sounded really nice. Good idea for sure!

All,

Thanks for your feedback!  :thumb:

CanJam at RMAF was a blast and a lot of people came to learn about LIO and listen (we have HE560 headphones, as well as HD650s - both running via the 4-pin balanced XLR headphone output). 

Some impressions on headfi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737921/canjam-at-rmaf-2014-impressions/60#post_10956730

Quote from: Effusion
I really enjoyed talking to Vinnie Rossi about his completely modular Hi-Fi solutions, including a system of ultra-capacitors, that completely remove the power off the AC line, powering/charging all the time, 24/7 if you want, as well as being rated at more than a few million cycles, so no more hassle replacing batteries or those that ware down quickly.  The system he had on demo sounded fantastic, doing just about everything right and not much if anything wrong at all.  Highly recommended if you are looking for a multi-purpose solution that lets you be as picky about it as you are about the sound.  Plus, Vinnie was very passionate, someone who also truly knows this audio stuff and it seemed to me that there may be even more new and good things, like these ultra-capacitors, in the works for the LIO.

the sound was very detailed and balanced, to me the most refined sound I heard out of headphones at the show, for both the LCD3s there or my HD650s.  Very cool design concept as well... give the customers the choice, let them build their own if they want to, nice to see when it is done well.  I can't give an in-depth review of the LIO as I only spent about 15 minutes with it and the rest of the time talking and listening to Vinnie, but I can tell you that I enjoyed every second of it, even tried to convince myself that I could use one in the near future, somewhere, right...

Quote from: drgajet
Great to met you Vinnie at canjam. your LIO impressed the hell out of me and modular to boot, what a great design.

The ability to only buy what you want or need, or add as money permits is just killer.

Quote from: muziq
the LIO made a big impression on me, too.  Looking forward to the release. 

More coverage here:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/vinnie-rossi-lio

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/shows-events/rmaf-2014-denver-usa/529-rmaf-2014-headphone-amps

Quote from: roscoeiii
Gotta say hi to Vinnie, who was talking with another designer about circuit stuff way above my head.
Quote from: jtwrace
Throw in Vinnie and his wife and I don't see how this will not sell. 
Quote from: TomS
This year, I had a chance to talk with Vinnie and Alexis at length about the new LIO and it was so cool, I couldn't pull myself away.

Nice to meet you, roscoeiii, jtwrace, TomS and DaveC113 - Thanks for stopping over and posting your feedback!  8)

Quote from: TomS

Hey TomS,

Just wait until you see the actual PRODUCTION LEVEL LIO modules!  :wink:

All - remember, what we have shown in NY and RMAF are only PROTOTYPE UNITS.  Production level units are going to be even better!  :drool:

A couple more prototype shots.

I've been playing catch-up since I've been back from RMAF.  Pre-ordering for LIO will start soon and I will announce it here and via our email newsletter as soon as we are ready.

With the Vinnie Rossi brand (and for the LIO platform), I have some really cool ideas coming.  This new platform will act like the canvas to realize the great things to come!  :eyebrows:

Thanks for all your interest and support!

Vinnie

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:53 pm »
Very exciting. Are you also planning on making it to AXPONA in Chicago this year with the production units?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:57 pm »
Very exciting. Are you also planning on making it to AXPONA in Chicago this year with the production units?

YES to AXPONA in Spring 2015!  And others....  :singing:

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2014, 05:02 pm »
Great news. The LIO is one of the pieces of gear I wish I had been able to spend more time with, but I just ran out of time.  :cry:

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2014, 07:03 pm »
I'm so glad to see someone doing something, anything, that's rather different. The use of the power supply capacitors is a step in a direction, ANY direction, in the audio world.

What's the charge voltage? Solar power charge while not listening in the day?  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2014, 08:31 pm »
I'm so glad to see someone doing something, anything, that's rather different. The use of the power supply capacitors is a step in a direction, ANY direction, in the audio world.

What's the charge voltage? Solar power charge while not listening in the day?  :thumb:
They're not typical power supply caps though.  They auto charge one bank at a time so there is no issue having the AC power plugged in at the same time listening. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:03 pm »
I think I remember something like 350 Farads worth of those storage caps in the LIO! They are a little bigger than typical caps  :wink:  ...and Vinnie said the ESR is lower than any battery. Given his experience with battery PS I would bet the LIO's PS is among the best available.

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:54 pm »
They're not typical power supply caps though.  They auto charge one bank at a time so there is no issue having the AC power plugged in at the same time listening.

I never believed they were typical capacitors; it's clear they are the defining interest in New.

But, I was thinking it'd be kind of cool to be able to power a hobby with "sustainable" energy.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2014, 11:01 pm »
Great news. The LIO is one of the pieces of gear I wish I had been able to spend more time with, but I just ran out of time.  :cry:

No problem - see you at AXPONA then!  :)

What's the charge voltage? Solar power charge while not listening in the day? 

Thanks, Salis!  Charger voltage is 24Vdc, so an external solar panel (regulated to 24V) could be used.  At least 3A output is recommended for charging the caps, and more is fine as the LIO has internal current regulation for the cap charging. 

Correct - it doesn't matter if your AC power is noisy as hell, or pristine.  The bank that is powering the audio circuitry in the LIO is ALWAYS 100% isolated from the external power.  :idea:

I think I remember something like 350 Farads worth of those storage caps in the LIO! They are a little bigger than typical caps    ...and Vinnie said the ESR is lower than any battery. Given his experience with battery PS I would bet the LIO's PS is among the best available.

Yes - ESR of the caps is approx. 0.002 ohms, so they can supply hundreds of amps instantaneously!  You can arc-weld with them.  :wink:  They can also be charged extremely quickly.  And yes, they are 350F (aka, 350,000,000uF) ultracapacitors. 

I have exciting plans for our patent-pending ultracapacitor supply circuit - it's going to be awesome!  :eyebrows:
More on that later....

But, I was thinking it'd be kind of cool to be able to power a hobby with "sustainable" energy.

You certainly can!  I need some time, but I DO plan to make a video that shows you have to connect to a solar panel.  But before that,
I have other videos that I need to first produce about the LIO in more detail.

Vinnie