CIAudio Accolades in Stereophile!

Orson Garnsey

« on: 14 Mar 2006, 07:15 pm »
All,

I'd like to be the first to congratulate CIAudio for the recent listing of the D-100 (early version) and VHP-1 (without VAC-1) on Stereophile's "B" list of components.

The D-100 is the lowest priced amplifier of it's type on the list, and anyone who reads this circle knows how good it is.

"B"ravo to Dusty and his crew for continuing to define high-end at a (in "A"udiophile terms) real-world cost.

As many of us know, a Stereophile recommendation is not necessarily the "end all be all" for a company or an audio component. However, the recommendation for CI products, combined with the best service in the business rates an "A+" in my book!

Here's to pushing the envelope further in the year to come!

Antoine

Re: CIAudio Accolades in Stereophile!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2006, 10:10 pm »
Quote from: Orson Garnsey
All,

I'd like to be the first to congratulate CIAudio for the recent listing of the D-100 (early version) and VHP-1 (without VAC-1) on Stereophile's "B" list of components.

Maybe a stupid question but what is the Stereophile "B list"? Is there an "A list"?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2006, 10:40 pm »
Stereophile makes a "recommended list of components" twice a year.  This list is quite comprehensive and is rated as A, B, C,D, E (louspeakers only) and K (up and comers) in that order.  In power amps sometimes Class A's are further subclassified as solid state or tubed.   All components in the lists, even category "D"  are highly regarded.  Stereophile lists "B" as "the next best thing to the very best sound reproduction; Class B components generally cost less than those in Class A, but most Class B componenets are still quite expensive".  Some others in Class B include Bryston 7B's ($6590/pair) and Yamaha MX-D1's @ $5k.  The D-100's are the lowest priced Class B amps.

Orson Garnsey

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2006, 10:54 pm »
Quote from: Antoine
All,

Maybe a stupid question but what is the Stereophile "B list"? Is there an "A list"?

Yes, there is an "A" list... Take a look at the current issue of Stereophile, and you'll see it. Also take a look at what those amplifiers cost... (B list too). You'll also find another Class D amp in the "B" class that costs almost 5k.  And, I can tell you from personal experience that the current versions of the D series amplifiers are likely to be class "A", if you go along with such things.

My post was meant to convey that a hard-working audio company is getting good press for products that are true bargains.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2006, 11:02 pm »
Yes, there is an "A" list... Take a look at the current issue of Stereophile, and you'll see it. Also take a look at what those amplifiers cost... (B list too). You'll also find another Class D amp in the "B" class that costs almost 5k.  And, I can tell you from personal experience that the current versions of the D series amplifiers are likely to be class "A", if you go along with such things.

My post was meant to convey that a hard-working audio company is getting good press for products that are true bargains.

BTW Orson, the D-100 has been on this Class B list since at least last fall.

Antoine

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2006, 11:09 pm »
Thank you for your explanations! The current issue is the March or the April issue?

I'm in The Netherlands so I'll probably have to wait a while before I can read it.

Orson Garnsey

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2006, 11:11 pm »
Ted, right; I read the review but didn't note an addition to the class B list at the time.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2006, 03:52 am »
Current issue that shows the recommended components is the April issue.  My point to Orson was simply that although Dusty and company always deserve our praise, the Stereophile praise began back in the summer of '05 for the reviews, and then October when the D-100 first made the list as Class B (and included the review of the VHP-1).  As Orson has stated, that D-100 classification is for his older version, one that has been easily surpassed by the newer D-100.  The mag needs to do an update.

gme109

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2006, 04:49 am »
 And, I can tell you from personal experience that the current versions of the D series amplifiers are likely to be class "A", if you go along with such things.

I've never heard the older D series amplifiers, but I totally agree that the current version of the D series amplifiers are likely to be class "A". I would choose the D200's over other amplifiers that at one time or another have resided in class "A" i.e. Air Tight ATM-2 (One of the best sounding push/pull tube amps I've ever heard) and the Atma-Sphere MA-1 Mk.11.2's. The D200's are much more extended in the frequency extremes, more dynamic, and every bit as capable of communicating the emotional content of the music.

Orson Garnsey

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2006, 01:38 pm »
Quote from: ted_b
As Orson has stated, that D-100 classification is for his older version, one that has been easily surpassed by the newer D-100.  The mag needs to do an update.

I could not agree more! My have been upgraded and they are clearly better, which is saying alot.

I don't know that I would have noted big improvements with my  recently retired Klipsch Cornwalls, but with Von Schweikert VR-4s the differences are obvious.

ohlins

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2006, 07:57 am »
maybe it's time to send Wes Philips a pair of the current spec d100 for a follow-followup  :lol: