Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2

Mike Nomad

Re: Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2
« Reply #120 on: 13 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm »

Great post. +1

It seems like some of you guys just like to throw stones at other people and knock them down. Once the bar is lowered you feel obligated to inform us that you are an expert in your field.  Usually you are an engineer or a scientist, but always you are the keeper of all knowledge and wisdom. You wear your certificate of expertise like a name-tag on your shirt, and it infuses your ever growing angry commentary. Should we ask an honest question or make a comment in order to gain a better understanding of a topic, you respond by throwing another stone.

What the Hell do we learn from that? Nothing.

I know some of you guys have something really important to say and there is always something that we can learn from you. But I would rather learn it while feeling included, not excluded. And I don't ever feel any taller just because I'm standing on top of someone I knocked down.

Not even sure why I typed this now. Maybe I'm just done with this shit.

rbwalt

« Reply #121 on: 14 Dec 2011, 12:04 am »
 i would say that the old  ones and the new ones  are going to sound about the same. average.

TONEPUB

« Reply #122 on: 14 Dec 2011, 12:54 am »
You didn't notice that the Sophia III enclosure looks just like one of those trash cans with the triangular top and the lid that swings when you push in on it to dump something in it? It's the first thing about the speaker that struck me, it looks like a trash can. I wonder if it sounds that way too  :lol:

First, how can you make such snarky comments about a product you've never used and second, if you're such a genius that knows so much about making speakers that Wilson and the rest don't , why aren't you in the speaker business?  Wilson has built a pretty solid company out of their products, with quite a few units sold world wide.  I'm sure that if you know how to make a speaker that is that much better than a pair of Sophia III's for no money, and you could make them consistently, while supporting a service and dealer network, you'd have the world beating a path to your door.

Much fun as it is to poke fun at them, you don't stay in business and grow to the point they have if you're an idiot and you make junk.  But we're all just supposed to trust you, a guy with a pair of tweaked 901's as being the know it all.

I agree with Mike Nomad. 

This kind of crap doesn't help anyone.

Æ

« Reply #123 on: 14 Dec 2011, 01:00 am »
If you're such a genius that knows so much about making speakers that Wilson and the rest don't, why aren't you in the speaker business?

Making a great pair of loudspeakers and selling them are two entirely different things. The fact that BOSE makes such mediocre products and yet sells them prodigiously is the answer to that question.

Making them is easy, selling them is the hard part.

Soundminded

« Reply #124 on: 14 Dec 2011, 01:46 am »
First, how can you make such snarky comments about a product you've never used and second, if you're such a genius that knows so much about making speakers that Wilson and the rest don't , why aren't you in the speaker business?  Wilson has built a pretty solid company out of their products, with quite a few units sold world wide.  I'm sure that if you know how to make a speaker that is that much better than a pair of Sophia III's for no money, and you could make them consistently, while supporting a service and dealer network, you'd have the world beating a path to your door.

Much fun as it is to poke fun at them, you don't stay in business and grow to the point they have if you're an idiot and you make junk.  But we're all just supposed to trust you, a guy with a pair of tweaked 901's as being the know it all.

I agree with Mike Nomad. 

This kind of crap doesn't help anyone.

Carp all you want, their appearance still has a striking resemblance to trash bins as I see it. Pretty funny I think. At least my speakers don't look like trash bins. I wouldn't own a pair of speakers that look like trash bins. OK my Teledyne AR9s look like coffins but that's not the same. Maybe if you grew a tree in front of it or hid it with a large potted plant people wouldn't notice. I wonder if anyone ever tried to stick a candy wrapper or a used napkin in one by mistake. Who knows, I might have done it myself by mistake  :icon_lol:

Soundminded

« Reply #125 on: 14 Dec 2011, 01:48 am »

Making a great pair of loudspeakers and selling them are two entirely different things. The fact that BOSE makes such mediocre products and yet sells them prodigiously is the answer to that question.

Making them is easy, selling them is the hard part.

Forty years later and still selling them. A billion dollars a year and privately owned starting out with just that. He must be doing something right. Somebody must be buying them.

WGH

« Reply #126 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:07 am »
Forty years later and still selling them. A billion dollars burgers a year and privately owned starting out with just that. He must be doing something right. Somebody must be buying them.

I had to substitute burgers for billions and now your statement makes more sense. Combine a brilliant marketing plan with convenient shopping to sell a passable product to the masses and you got yourself a winner.

Wayne

HiFiSoundGuy

sebrof

« Reply #128 on: 14 Dec 2011, 03:02 am »
8)

http://www.epinions.com/content_4143423620
The first paragraph of the epinions link says, "The Bottom Line Audio is a wonderful hobby! Let's all respect one another's tastes and preferences. Anything otherwise would be both foolish and childish."

The problem I have with HFSG in this thread and on other forums where he posts the exact same thing is that he does not respect others' tastes and preferences. People say they don't like the Bose 901 sound, yet he tries to force the issue by telling them the VI sounds different, and they haven't heard them turned upside down and backwards or whatever. Easy to say that people are Bose bashing, but listen to the people. They've heard them, they don't like them.

TONEPUB

« Reply #129 on: 14 Dec 2011, 04:51 am »
Bose makes a lot of speakers. Honda makes a lot of cars, but I wouldn't want to own one.  That doesn't mean Honda makes bad cars.  Ferrari sends 800 cars a year to the US and there's a three year wait. I know what I'd rather own.

Just depends on what you want.

I'd be curious to see where Bose makes their money these days.  I'd bet it's more in headphones and auto sound installations. 

When we start the review on the 901's I'll be curious to see if they will reveal how much of their revenue still comes from speakers.  I'd be amazed if they sell 2500 pairs of 901's a year.  Won't know till we ask them.

Æ

« Reply #130 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:10 am »
Forty years later and still selling them. A billion dollars a year and privately owned starting out with just that. He must be doing something right. Somebody must be buying them.

I was referring to a new contender. Anyone can build them, selling them is the difficult part regardless of how excellent one makes them. You are competing against 400 other loudspeaker companies.

persisting1

« Reply #131 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:25 am »
If HiFiSoundGuy used different wording in regards to how he feels about these speakers, he could have steered this thread in a different direction. 

Not sure if I want to do this...

I'm really enjoying these Tweaked-out 901's a lot more now ! When you find the G-SPOT !/quote]  :smoke:

Soundminded

« Reply #132 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:01 pm »
If the Wilson Sophia III looks like a trash can, the Alexandria II looks like a robot with scoliosis 

Warning Will Robinson, DANGER! DANGER! :roll:

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product_alex.shtml

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #133 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:45 am »
 Looks like Bose might come out with a redesign 901 speaker some time in the future .. 

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=392444

Æ

« Reply #134 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:47 am »
If the Wilson Sophia III looks like a trash can, the Alexandria II looks like a robot with scoliosis 

Warning Will Robinson, DANGER! DANGER! :roll:

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product_alex.shtml

+1. Excellent reply!

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #135 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:53 am »
Here's more pictures of these future 901's

http://www.coroflot.com/alexananin/BOSE-901-

TONEPUB

« Reply #136 on: 15 Dec 2011, 02:25 am »
These aren't "future 901's" this is someone's art school project....

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #137 on: 15 Dec 2011, 02:30 am »
HFSG has done everything in his power to identify himself as a shill for Bose. He rants. He raves. He doesn't converse, debate or compare in any meaningful way. He just continues to flail. Does anyone take him seriously? Isn't he in violation of some policy?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #138 on: 15 Dec 2011, 02:44 am »
Still waiting for HFSG to coat the 901 drivers with quickset concrete. Wasn't that the ultimate tweak for speakers a couple years ago?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49901.0

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #139 on: 15 Dec 2011, 02:46 am »
HFSG has done everything in his power to identify himself as a shill for Bose. He rants. He raves. He doesn't converse, debate or compare in any meaningful way. He just continues to flail. Does anyone take him seriously? Isn't he in violation of some policy?

... and not just for Bose...

He's gotta be in violation of something!  :lol:

Seriously!