BDA 3 HDMI inputs... Details?

scottm_dj

BDA 3 HDMI inputs... Details?
« on: 20 Feb 2024, 02:40 pm »
So after getting quite a response from my question about the BDP3/MM scenario...now I have a question about the BDA3.  I have a 100% analog system consisting of an Audio Research multi-channel preamp and a Cary multi-channel amp.  My only digital input is the HDMI in on my Oppo 205. Obviously if I have more than one digital component, have to get a splitter or something certainly not ideal.

In addition to meshing well with the BDP3, the BDA3 main highlight for me is all those HDMI-INs I have yet to see on any other DAC.  But unlike the Oppo 205 which is 2.0b version even way back in 2017 (in addition to Sabre 9038Pro DAC chip that's still being used today...that's how forward-looking that device was!)... the BDA 3 is the older1.4 version.  If I recall correctly, that can handle all high resolution (except for the ridiculous ultra high PCM and DSD resolutions), and even video including 4K--but no HDR.   Does that mean I could plug in say an Apple TV, a Roku, even like a PS5 into the BDA 3 ports and get full high resolution audio and everything but HDR video?

The one negative in my case is I would then be using the 2.0 port in my Oppo to feed from the BDA 3... and since my TV is only able to do HDMI ARC, there'd be no way to send full high resolution audio and HDR video from a PS5. That said...I'm just curious what the BDA 3 can do with its four HDMI inputs.

I have to figure out if I want to get a whole new DAC just for 2ch audio...or just utilize my Oppo for everything and maybe get something like an MW Analog Bridge to sweeten its slightly digital glare output sound.

Ahhh....you gotta love being an audiophile :-)

sfraser

Re: BDA 3 HDMI inputs... Details?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2024, 03:34 pm »
HDMI input 4 on the BDA3 is HDCP 2.2 compliant , It also allows for 4K passthrough. I currently use a BDA3 on my 2 channel system which is often used for watching movies and Hockey games as well. I have a Nvidia SHIELD connect up to the HDMI input 4 and the HDMI output is connected to the TV. I have a OPPO DVD and audio streamer also connected to the BDA3. It has become the media "switch" in my 2 channel system, relegating my Bryston BP25 preamp to a volume/gain control function. The BDA3  is quite flexible and sounds pristine. Hope that helps.

Scott

scottm_dj

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2024, 08:44 pm »
It definitely does. So only input for on the BDA can send 4K video? Do the rest only send audio like the bdp3s?

sfraser

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2024, 02:32 pm »
From the manual,

"Incoming digital video may be passed through
to another receiver such as a surround sound
processor or display using the HDMI output. The
HDMI output can only pass HDMI audio when a
non-HDMI input is actively selected. See PTHD
command in “Serial Protocol” on page 10. The
digital audio outputs mirror the inputs. No sample
rate conversion or any other processing is applied to
the output.
HDMI inputs are 1.4a compliant and can pass 4K
video at up to 30fps. HDMI input 4 is HDCP 2.2
compliant. Video is passed through to a connected
monitor at the native resolution with no processing
or conversion."

So all HDMI inputs will accept and pass 4K video to the HDMI output, only HDMI 4 is HDCP 2.2 compliant.  If you choose a COAX input , lets say a BDP3 streamer or something similar, the BDA will pass through the video of the HDMI output from the last HDMI source chosen. For example, you are watching the hockey game via your favorite STB and the 1st intermission starts, you can change source to your BDP3 and listen to music while still viewing the "talking heads" commentary .

Grant Hill

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2024, 04:47 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for the explanations. Could you please clarify what the HDMI 4 is for?

I have a 2 Channel stereo with a Blu ray player and a TV. Blu ray goes via HDMI into TV (video) and to BDA (audio). Which gear should I connect to HDMI4 in BDA3?

GSDaudio

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2024, 07:43 pm »
The "manual" download appears to be offline on Bryston.com .  Should I be using hdmi input 4 for my 2 channel bluray setup for passthrough without having to turn unit on?

sfraser

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2024, 02:47 pm »
It is still there, just well hidden. try this link, and download the pdf file.

https://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDA3/