DAC/Streamers

sep297

Re: DAC/Streamers
« Reply #120 on: 10 Jul 2020, 02:40 pm »
Willy/James

I have the exact same 'issue' with my 3.14, switch it off and the on/off light goes from green to red and the input light goes off and comes back on when the on/off light goes red which looks a bit strange.

Regards

Stuart

WillyP

« Reply #121 on: 13 Jul 2020, 06:38 pm »
Hi Willy

I have not heard of the LED issue before but they are controlled by software.

Are you using 2 different sources - CD player and another Blueray player? -- If you can I would check with another digital source other than the CD player into the 3.14 DAC to see if the source is the issue.  Also try the XLR digtal output as well as the COAX from the CD player to see if things change.

Other wise I am at a loss as I have the same hookup at home and all seems fine.

james

PS - also check the cable?

Hi James,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have no explanation why, but there was definitely something wrong with the cabling. Everything is fine now, except for the sometimes strange behaviour of the LEDs.

My BCD-3 sounds very good, but my BDA-3.14 is even better. The sound is cleaner, crisper also. Not a difference of day and night, but clearly audible. Needless to say that I am very pleased with both devices.

WillyP

WillyP

« Reply #122 on: 13 Jul 2020, 10:52 pm »
To: James and Stuart,

Coincidence or not, but since I removed the Scratch Disk, the BDA-3.14 behaves normally as far as the LEDs concern. When switched off, the standby LED changes from green to red, all other LEDs go off. I will keep you informed.

WillyP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #123 on: 14 Jul 2020, 12:06 am »
To: James and Stuart,

Coincidence or not, but since I removed the Scratch Disk, the BDA-3.14 behaves normally as far as the LEDs concern. When switched off, the standby LED changes from green to red, all other LEDs go off. I will keep you informed.

WillyP

Hi Willy

OK thanks - keep us updated.

james

WillyP

« Reply #124 on: 28 Jul 2020, 05:06 pm »
Hi James,

The BDA-3.14 is still functioning as it should, so no issues with the LEDs.

WillyP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #125 on: 28 Jul 2020, 05:16 pm »
Hi James,

The BDA-3.14 is still functioning as it should, so no issues with the LEDs.

WillyP

Good to hear - thanks.

james

himitsu

« Reply #126 on: 20 Sep 2020, 05:35 am »
My 3.14 when power off the the Optical/Streamer Led will stay on intermittently, hopes next firmware update would fix it.

WillyP

« Reply #127 on: 22 Sep 2020, 09:30 pm »
There is new software available for the BDA-3.14. You could give it a try.

WillyP

PS Do you use a scratch disk?

himitsu

« Reply #128 on: 26 Sep 2020, 05:53 am »
There is new software available for the BDA-3.14. You could give it a try.

WillyP

PS Do you use a scratch disk?

Thanks Willy, I don't use scratch disk, I only connected with Lan and streaming NAS files and Tidal through Roon,  updated latest software problem persists, the issue seems like after using Roon.

WillyP

« Reply #129 on: 30 Sep 2020, 07:04 pm »
Hi James,

After the two S2.44 updates the problem is back! The LED above the Optical / Streaming button turns to yellow after the BDS-3.14 is switched off.

Hopefully, Chris can fix this in a future update.

WillyP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #130 on: 30 Sep 2020, 09:44 pm »
Hi James,

After the two S2.44 updates the problem is back! The LED above the Optical / Streaming button turns to yellow after the BDS-3.14 is switched off.

Hopefully, Chris can fix this in a future update.

WillyP

Hi Willy

I am not sure but that may be a hardware issue - check with Mike - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Gord

« Reply #131 on: 1 Oct 2020, 02:33 pm »
I have the BDA 3 connected to an Oppo UDP 205 and love the result.
Thinking about a streamer now.

WillyP

« Reply #132 on: 28 Oct 2020, 03:08 pm »
Hi Willy

I am not sure but that may be a hardware issue - check with Mike - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Hi James,

Mike doen’t respond :(.

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #133 on: 28 Oct 2020, 03:23 pm »
Hi James,

Mike doen’t respond :(.

Willy

I will try again - sorry

james

oacham

« Reply #134 on: 15 Nov 2020, 02:49 am »
Greetings

I had a Cambridge Audio CXN(2015)  which packed it in and  previously had enjoyed.  I am now working with a new BDP-Pi  and am waiting for a RME-ADI -2 DAC FS   to go with it.  It has been a learning curve to understand the BDP-Pi and get  music from my NAS onto the BDP. I am sure it will be with the DAC when it comes.  To answer the question James posed, I had been a separates guy before the CXN.  Unhappy with the thought of sending it to New York to get it fixed I turned to Bryston which builds them in the town where I live and for whom I have affection with an Amp(B60) and a BP-1 Bryston phono stage both bought in 1998, and still going strong and confident that if there is a problem with them they will fix it.. I am over 80 so doubt I will be around in twenty one years to still enjoy the BDP-Pi.

Johnney

« Reply #135 on: 17 Jan 2021, 01:47 pm »
Previous system:
Mac Pro >>Ethernet >>Bridge II of PS Audio Directstream (SQ is similar as from CD player)

New system:
BDP-3 >>USB>>PS Audio Directstream

JRiver for Mac constantly has upgrades, too troublesome for me so give it up.

himitsu

« Reply #136 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:59 am »
Hello James

I found after the latest firmware updated, my 3.14 won't output audio either HDMI or coaxial when Roon ready enable, in MPD works fine, just wondering is my 3.14 defective or something wrong in my setting, thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #137 on: 18 Jan 2021, 03:28 pm »
Doesn't appear to be a problem with the most recent test build, installing the current stable build to see if the issue will appear with the current stable build.  It doesn't sound like a hardware issue if it works fine with one service over the other.  I wonder though if the BDA-3.14 is switching back to the streamer (pi) thinking Roon is asking for control again?

Chris

The most recent stable release appears to be functioning as expected, perhaps confirm the version of the firmware installed on the unit, it doesn't happen all lot but sometimes a customer will say they've installed the most recent firmware update and then wait a month before contacting us, at which time the firmware is no longer actually the latest.

Chris

Tubegem

« Reply #138 on: 18 Jan 2021, 05:44 pm »
I have no issues with the new software.

Below is my post from December 18, hopefully I will get some response here.

What success have you folks had with direct connections to either USB B inputs from a source other than direct computer or Bryston.

I just purchased a new USB cable, and the results are the same.
I can't get around the fact that DSD from the Sony HAP-Z1es plays perfectly either native or pop, but everything else is loud distortion. I would have expected the opposite to be true.
Any other testing suggestions. I should mention that the replacement 3.14's serial number is one digit newer.

I'm really enjoying the sound . Thank you all.

3.14 Take2
Last Saturday, I received a replacement 3.14 unit. Very great full for the speedy replacement.

Out off the box, no issues with connection with Bryston web. Did software update, configuration and everything went smooth. Attached music and bRadio sounds richer and very satisfying.

The only issue I still have is in getting anything to play on the 3.14 using the usb B input from the Sony Hap-z1es other than DSD, natural or DoP. Tunein radio, internal music of cd quality or hi res all produce an extremely loud electronic distortion.

Again tested the same usb cable (BIS as are the rest of my cables) from the Sony to a MF24/192  output coax and aes worked perfectly on the 3.14. Lumin D1 coax to 3.14 worked perfectly.

Sony usb to Nuprime DAC (4490) works fine with all input and music type.

Has anyone run into a similar issue. Is there anything on the 3.14 set up that I’m missing as far as allowing various types of files as input?
 I really want this to work as I’m enjoying the sound.

The reason I want to attach the Sony is to play my DSD music and Tunein radio as I can’t figure out how to get the stations I listen to out of bRadio.

Greatly appreciate any input.

PeterG

« Reply #139 on: 19 Jan 2021, 05:44 pm »
Hi Tubegem....I own an HAP Z1ES and a 3.14...same problem as you.....out of USB, plays DSD naively fine....can't get it to play PCM (can hear the track faintly, but lots of noise...useless ....same for TuneIn radio) Tried every setting I could on the 3.14 but no improvement....contacted Sony and spent hours searching discussion boards for people with similar problems (a fairly common problem with many dacs)....Sony was no help at all and my unit is still under warranty.....they basically said too bad, HAP works with some dacs and not others.....I found someone who got a BDA-3 to work with the HAP (PCM and DSD) but using a very old version of the HAP software......I tried to roll back but the HAP unit will only go back 1 version.....contacted Sony asking if they could tell me how to roll back several versions and they wouldn't help...shame as I really like the HAP unit and DSD sounded great into the 3.14.....BP-173 and 3B3.....long story short....I gave up and the HAP will go into a second system analog out.....I bought a BDP-3 (put in an internal 2TB SSD) which is an improvement over the HAP