Pocket Cameras

Emil

Pocket Cameras
« on: 1 Feb 2016, 10:22 pm »

Looking for an easy to carry travel camera that doesn't necessarily need to fit in ones pocket but you get the idea

Is there anything preferable than the Sony Rx100? I'm considering either version I ($398) or II($498). Would love version III with the viewfinder but close to $800 is a bit much for me.

The 1 inch sensor as well as the Zeiss lens seems to put it ahead of the pack.

Thoughts? Other suggestions? Is the I that much better than the II?

Thanks

Photon46

Re: Pocket Cameras
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2016, 04:46 pm »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/869238-REG/Sony_DSC_RX100_Digital_Camera.html

Take a look at the "most liked negative review" on the B&H page for the Sony camera. Those caveats mentioned are what turns me off to the Sony, even though the image quality is great for the price. Ergonomics matter a lot to me in a small camera. I guess being DLSR Canon user, I've always stuck with the G series Canons for my portable camera because of ergonomic familiarity, even though they are rather chunky for a "pocket cam."

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2016, 05:04 pm »
Thanks for your input, Photon 46

Read the negative reviews. The Mk 11 not much better but there are still plenty of happy campers.

Any thoughts on the canon G7X?

viggen

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2016, 05:13 pm »
How about the Canon GX7 or GX9.

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2016, 05:14 pm »
I've had a Sony RX100II for about a year now and really enjoy it. It has so many options it can be a bit overwhelming, but not in a bad way. The camera excels in many low-light situations. My hands are an average size and I have no problems handling the camera.  My main problem is that I constantly forget to bring it and end up using my iPhone anyway.

sandbagger

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2016, 05:23 pm »
I love my sony RX100   cant say I have found anything negative about it in the almost 3yrs I have had mine

The mkII had just come out when I got mine and thought it was not worth the money then and from what I have seen I would still go for the original

I do highly recommend getting the sony stick on finger grip, worth its weight in gold

Emil

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2016, 06:33 pm »
How about the Canon GX7 or GX9.

Considering the GX7. From what I've read it matches well against the Sony RX100 II. For me the touch screen would give it the nod.

Would really love a camera with an EVF like the MkIII but cant see spending that much