RMAF 2013

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
RMAF 2013
« on: 5 Oct 2013, 09:40 pm »
Hello!

I always look forward to RMAF and it is here again. Info on the show can be found here:

http://audiofest.net/new/

This year Dave Slagle and I will have a bunch of fun stuff at the show. Dave is bringing a load of the finished product EMIA gear that he and Jeffrey Jackson make. Some teaser photo's are at their blog here:

http://www.hifiheroin.blogspot.ca/

As Dave mentions we'll have a table in the lobby area - that is where I'll be most the time - and also Dave and friends will have some not to be missed stuff upstairs in Room 9009. Win Tinnon's Saskia turntable - After hearing much about it I look forward to listening to it at the show.

I'll have the AVC-1 with the lid off and some Slaglefofmers and related parts. We will be driving a selection of headphones direct from autofofmers for those curious about using them that way. The newest bit I will have there is the Optiload remote control phono cartridge loading system.  We'll have it live at the table via headphones and I might get to pop it in elsewhere at the show.

If anyone is around please do drop by to say hi!

Thansk!

John

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: RMAF 2013
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2013, 09:57 pm »
Can you explain more about the optiload and the cost?  See you at RMAF!

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2013, 10:15 pm »
Hello!

Sure - it is a small unit using same enclosure as a microtap if you recall that controller I used to sell.  It is designed to let you experiment very easily with phono loading from the listening chair. It loads the cartridge from 5 ohms to 5K ohms and you can spin the load up and down via remote control. Also it is easy to compare 2 loads - just a remote button press to snap back and forth between 2 selected loads.  This feature is also handy if you have 2 arms or carts that you use - making it easy to snap to the right load. It is battery powered and can be left in the system. 

Kind of taking the easy loading that the MU Step-up I used to sell had to a whole new level. The thing about cartridge loading is that almost always it is such a pain to experiment with loads that you never optimize the load - folks just leave the stock load in or maybe plunk in the 'recommended' load - which would rarely be the ideal load in any given system. With all the effort that goes into a first rate phono from end it deserves to have the load optimized too! This was a way to make it easy and fun - like it should be.

Initial price is set at $399 - just to get rolling. Then I'll get a handle on costs to produce, demand (if there is any!) etc and go from there.  I also have in the works a more elaborate system that will let you switch between up to 3 inputs and have preset loads for each, mute, and maybe even an integral step-up option. It is pretty far along in development but not ready to display yet.

Thansk!

John

alan m. kafton

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2013, 10:39 pm »
Very glad you'll be at the show....I haven't seen/chatted with you in years.  I'll definitely stop by.

The Saskia turntable is a sonic wonder. I'm very happy that's returning as well. Either it or a production prototype was at the show a few years ago. Definitely one of the standout presentations for me.

alan

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2013, 11:11 pm »
Hello!

Great that you will be there  - really looking forward to catching up. Feel free to e-mail to let me know your schedule so we can sure to connect up.

Thansk!

John

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2013, 11:29 pm »
Hello!

Sure - it is a small unit using same enclosure as a microtap if you recall that controller I used to sell.  It is designed to let you experiment very easily with phono loading from the listening chair. It loads the cartridge from 5 ohms to 5K ohms and you can spin the load up and down via remote control. Also it is easy to compare 2 loads - just a remote button press to snap back and forth between 2 selected loads.  This feature is also handy if you have 2 arms or carts that you use - making it easy to snap to the right load. It is battery powered and can be left in the system. 

Kind of taking the easy loading that the MU Step-up I used to sell had to a whole new level. The thing about cartridge loading is that almost always it is such a pain to experiment with loads that you never optimize the load - folks just leave the stock load in or maybe plunk in the 'recommended' load - which would rarely be the ideal load in any given system. With all the effort that goes into a first rate phono from end it deserves to have the load optimized too! This was a way to make it easy and fun - like it should be.

Initial price is set at $399 - just to get rolling. Then I'll get a handle on costs to produce, demand (if there is any!) etc and go from there.  I also have in the works a more elaborate system that will let you switch between up to 3 inputs and have preset loads for each, mute, and maybe even an integral step-up option. It is pretty far along in development but not ready to display yet.

Thansk!

John

I think I forwarded this to Kevin Carter a while back to integrate with his Maxxed Out Phono for those that want that tweakability! Anyway, hope to see you at RMAF, it will be a pleasure! And I do have some thoughts/questions for Dave Slagle for upcoming tube builds :-)

Best,
Anand.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2013, 05:03 pm »
Hello!

Well - I won't be making it to RMAF..... Handful of days back I caught a downright evil bug and although I had hoped to shake it off in time that is not gonna happen.... Just wanted to post here to let folks know but also to say that my display stuff is not sick and will indeed be at the show - thanks to help from some great friends down there. If anyone does get a chance to drop by the table in the lobby and check out the Optiload in particular any feedback would be most appreciated. It's ready in it's first form with a more elaborate version to come but I'm hoping from the show to get some feedback to decide if  there is any interest in it.

Thansk!

John

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2013, 05:31 pm »
Feel better! 

Look forward to RMAF 2014.   ;)

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2013, 08:55 pm »
Hello!

I'm guessing I will survive. Just very bad timing on my part to get sick right now.

Have fun there!

John

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2013, 09:00 pm »
Hello!

I'm guessing I will survive. Just very bad timing on my part to get sick right now.

Have fun there!

John
Not something someone can really control...

mal

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm »

You were much missed, sir.

May I suggest Andina? Soon?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2013, 03:59 pm »
Hello!

I was looking forward to seeing you and Kirsten again.  Was so much fun last year. Andina sounds like a fine idea - have to do that sometime before long!

BTW - I was following along at home best I could and your reports (along with the ones from  Tyson and Pez here at audiocircle) were most appreciated!

Thansk!

John