GR research pairing

NoahH

GR research pairing
« on: 1 Mar 2022, 04:16 am »
Hi all,
I am visiting from the neighboring GR research circle. I just completed some big GR research NX-treme speakers and they are a bit tricky to drive as they have a very complex load (11 drivers each side). No one in the GR forums seems to have tried any AVA gear and I wanted to ask here if anyone has paired any amps with GR gear.

Any experiences here? Thanks in advance!

BadDNA

Re: GR research pairing
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2022, 12:19 pm »
I don't own any GR Research products, but Frank's amps are very stout and I would not foresee any issues. Has Danny R. or Hobbs weighed in over on that forum?

I've been running the least expensive AVA amp, the SET 120, which is "only" 60 watts/8ohms, but doubles into 4ohms. Never had an issue though I'm running Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2EX's. Very dynamic and detailed with a great sound stage. I am waiting on a pair of the new M225 mono block amps to arrive that will replace the SET 120. Those are 225watts each into 8ohms and over 300watts into 4.

Maybe Frank will see this and can weigh in here, though he admitted he does not regularly monitor this site.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2022, 04:40 pm »
The GR Research site says "Sensitivity is 94.5db and the impedance is a nominal 8 ohm load. So they can be easily driven with small tube amps or chip amps."

How big is your room and how loudly do you typically listen?

I had an AVA amp at one point, and they are robustly built. With such an easy load to drive, I would consider looking for an AVA amp with a high damping factor since the speakers should be able to provide a dynamic, live presentation if the amp can stop and start all the drivers quickly. I didn't see damping factor listed on the AVA site, however.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2022, 05:19 pm »
Any AVA amplifier DF will be high enough, no need to know a number.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2022, 01:12 am by opnly bafld »

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2022, 11:52 pm »
Damping factor specification:  amplifier should not get wet.  😳

Actually all AVA amplifiers have very low output impedance and will work very well with your speakers.

We look at bass response a bit differently. We require bass that is much more then just more powerful and deep. The amp must play the tonality of every note of a string bass as well as its deep reach.  Play the correct musical output of big drums, even when they are mixed in with the rest of the instruments. Resolve every instrument sound with more then just detail.  It has to be grain free, engaging, wide band, and duplicate the stage and size of the performance.

Very hard to do but incredibly rewarding when you get it right. Our SET 120, an absolutely unique audio design, does get it right.

Frank

NoahH

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2022, 06:30 am »
I appreciate the feedback. For those citing sensitivity, the GRs are good, but the impedence curve is complex making it harder.

Frank - I definitely appreciate the note and the craft. Interesting that set 120 was your first note on it. Thanks!

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2022, 03:03 am »
Dampening refers moisture.
In an audio system, the damping factor gives the ratio of the rated impedance of the loudspeaker to the source impedance (Thanks Wikipedia).
I think Frank was just having some fun with your question and his response.

NoahH

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2022, 03:44 am »
I was a little confused on that. Serves me right for using a phone keyboard (it was a typo - I do know damping factor).

I did not get Frank's initial comment - I assumed it was a general ruggedness comment, but obviously just did not get it.

But I will take my in-pool stereo goals elsewhere. ;)