Bike Rack recommendations

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Bike Rack recommendations
« on: 12 Jun 2012, 02:20 pm »
I am looking for two different bike racks now that I am getting back into riding.

For my wife's car (Mazda CX-9), I am looking for a hitch based rack that can accommodate up to 4 bikes (two kids bikes and two adults).

For my car (BMW 335i), I am guessing a roof rack that can carry two bikes or maybe a rack that could mount on the trunk.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

George

TomS

Re: Bike Rack recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2012, 03:09 pm »
I've had 2 different sets of Yakima Whispbars on my Audi A4 Avant and VW Sportwagen TDi and they are awesome. I am able leave them on full time because they're so quiet. I'm using Thule Echelon bike holders and also have a Yakima Skybox 16s that fits great. There should be a good fit for the 335. We used a Thule T2 hitch rack on various SUV's and though it's fairly heavy, it is stable and easy to use with the wheel locking. Both highly recommended.

LadyDog

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2012, 02:19 am »
Hi George,
Hope all is well.  Agree with Tom in that the Thule T2 is a nice rack.  As is the Yakima Highroller.  Yakima and Thule would make my list.  In both top and hitch.  Saris make a nice rack too.  Think one is called Thelma 3(or some #).  One that flies a little under the radar and nice, is 1upusa.

Good luck.  Regards, Jeff

bunnyma357

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2012, 04:06 am »
Also a fan of the Thule T2, have one on my Miata and it has worked well for about 6 years.  I've got the smaller 1.25" hitch, so mine is only available as a 2 bike rack, but if you've got a 2" receiver than you can get the 4 bike version. Expensive, but it feels like it will last forever, and it keeps the bikes very secure.

Jim C

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2012, 09:11 am »
Also a fan of the Thule T2, have one on my Miata and it has worked well for about 6 years.  I've got the smaller 1.25" hitch, so mine is only available as a 2 bike rack, but if you've got a 2" receiver than you can get the 4 bike version. Expensive, but it feels like it will last forever, and it keeps the bikes very secure.

Jim C

:thumb: That is what we have.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:23 pm »
Thanks everybody.

Another option that I was made aware of is unconventional, but looks very interesting:

http://seasucker.com/outdoor-mount-system

http://seasucker.com/content/bomber

George

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:34 pm »
I've never seen that one before. Great in theory, but I'd be a bit concerned about the pressure those suckers put on body and glass panels which were not likely designed for that kind of load.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:52 pm »
I've never seen that one before. Great in theory, but I'd be a bit concerned about the pressure those suckers put on body and glass panels which were not likely designed for that kind of load.

The person who pointed me to this company uses it with his Porsche and his expensive road bike.  He has had no issues. 

That being said, it still is a little scary.   :wink:

George   

bunnyma357

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm »
One nice thing with the hitch racks is that you still have access to trunks & rear hatches - my rack stays on the car all summer long.

Jim C.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2012, 06:42 pm »

Hi George:

This won't help you with your bike situation but some might find interesting.

I was tired of the hassle of regular bike racks. So slow to put bikes on and off. When downhill racing came across a guy in my age bracket who makes a bike rack for quick use. He was shuttling up mountains quite a bit and was tired of slow racks. So he made one and now is in business.

All you do is put the front wheel in the holder and put the strap on. Takes less than a minute per bike.

Rocket_Qick Shift_Ronny

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2012, 06:49 pm »
that is a cool rack.   I for the most part like my rack with the exception that it holds the bike by the top tube which is where my cables are run, so it can stretch the cables. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2012, 06:51 pm »
I have had a T2 for 5 years or so, great rack. A friend has a 1up, I'd get that if I were going to buy a new one.

http://www.1upusa.com/

@RR, that's the North Shore rack, right? Good option for SUVs...

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #12 on: 7 Aug 2012, 07:21 pm »

@RR, that's the North Shore rack, right? Good option for SUVs...

No it's not, but similar. I like this one better in that the front tire is held in place very well and you can put any bike on it. You could even leave the straps off and the bikes would not fall off. It's made by a Richard Ratte and is called a Rat Rack. http://ratracks.com/

Both he and his son are serious downhillers and very fast in their age divisions. That rack is powder coated as well.

For off road bike hauling, up mountains, we would use this solution. It's my own creation.

I like that T2 rack as well.

Rocket_Ronny

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 7 Aug 2012, 07:23 pm »
I wound up purchasing a four bike hitch rack from Softride:

http://www.softride.com/rack-products/specifications/softride_dura_assist_bike_rack

It was just installed this past weekend, but so far, so good.

Here is a picture with it extended to allow for easy access to the trunk (that's not my car BTW):

George

chip

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:58 am »
Anyone like the Yakima double Down 4 - http://yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch/doubledown-ace-4

« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2012, 03:04 pm by chip »

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2012, 03:22 am »
I wound up purchasing a four bike hitch rack from Softride:

Nice.

Those are good for bikes that have a larger triangle area, but for downhill and some mountain bikes without the clearance it would not work unless you buy a bar that goes from the seat post to the handle bars. Don't have a picture of the bar, but here is a bike.

Rocket_Ronny

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2012, 04:11 am »
Anyone like the Yakima double Down 4 - http://yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch/doubledown-ace-4.
Your link works if you delete the period at the end.

Yes I bought this a few years ago and think it's great - even better now that the one model fits 2" and 1 1/4" hitches. If ours did, we would be keeping it, but our new vehicle has a 1 1/4" hitch and we bought the 2" model. Very strong and seems like high quality paint - no signs of wear anywhere, and the mounting system is fairly rational.