The Life and Times of a Pair of Skylan Stands

NoDisco

The Life and Times of a Pair of Skylan Stands
« on: 24 Dec 2020, 08:35 pm »
I've had Omega SAMs for at least a few years now. Always kept them on cheap Target end tables. They always seemed to do the trick. But as an audiophile, one always believes they can do better in a never ending reach for audiophile nirvana. In my quest, I've had a number of cheap and relatively expensive amplifiers in my system, and I've found a really great integrated that isn't too expensive but sounds phenomenal. As such, I haven't spent too much on my system this year, and I thought a pair of stands were in order. I've heard good things about Skylans, and I figured at the worst, they would tidy my rig up. What follows is the typical audiophile tale of ups and downs whenever any new piece of gear is introduced into a system. Read on if you're interested.

I got the stands about 5 days after I ordered them. Noel was kind enough to talk me through a few things before we completed the sale. Assemblage was a bit more complex than I imagined. It was a bit art as much as science. Some parts are cautioned about not being overtightened, and there was a bit more of a tradeoff than the directions let on between stability, rice leakage and the stated directions. After pouring 30 lbs. of rice into the stands, I tightened everything, flipped them over, and carefully positioned my speakers on top. I then turned on my amp and the sound was blah. It was significantly worse than the target stands, believe it or not.

I thought it was my ears, so I listened for a few hours. I would hear new details and harmonies in some songs, but the tradeoffs in the mid-range were too great for me. I felt a bit disappointed, but I thought, you just have to optimize things a bit. In went several different pairs of interconnects. Subtle, but not significant changes were apparent; but I felt now like I was not only missing my mid-range signature, but some of the bass was gone. Noel warned of this as a possibility of overtightening the tension rods. I thought to myself: Which would be easier, re-tightening the rods or turning on stereo subs? So, I turned on the subs. A noticeable improvement, but I still had mid-range issues. I also noticed a bit of etchyness in the highs. Fooled around with various supertweeter settings and positions...no help.

I sat down this afternoon, and thought: What am I missing? Well, I thought: Perhaps it's the power cable? Sounds nuts, especially b/c with this amp, it seems to prefer skinny cords. Well, I took a cord off one of my monos that I had tried before with this amp. It had previously made the bass too prominent. Well I tried it. Plugged it directly into the wall. Subs off. I'm now sitting here with a stellar soundstage, liquid highs and all the bass I could need. I might turn on the subs later, but right now, the system sounds great. The match with the Omega SAMs is excellent, and well worth the investment.

Happy Holidays.

smargo

Re: The Life and Times of a Pair of Skylan Stands
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2020, 03:30 am »

I sat down this afternoon, and thought: What am I missing? Well, I thought: Perhaps it's the power cable? Sounds nuts, especially b/c with this amp, it seems to prefer skinny cords. Well, I took a cord off one of my monos that I had tried before with this amp. It had previously made the bass too prominent. Well I tried it. Plugged it directly into the wall. Subs off. I'm now sitting here with a stellar soundstage, liquid highs and all the bass I could need. I might turn on the subs later, but right now, the system sounds great. The match with the Omega SAMs is excellent, and well worth the investment.

Happy Holidays.
great - if you feel enthusiastic after a week or 2 with the thing that you did and with different music - then its more legitimate. I cant get excited about an action that someone does to improve their stereo system after 1 day anymore

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2020, 02:11 pm »

Happy Holidays.

Keep tweaking. It will come around to your liking!

NoDisco

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2021, 07:51 pm »
Been a few days. Wanted to listen a bit more and try out higher powered amps. Imaging even more stunning now, bass is better too. The imaging cleaned up so well that I no longer had to toe in my speakers. I also was able to push them back by nearly 2 feet. The bonus was the image is now more centered between the speakers, which I’ve always had a bit of a problem with my room. Sounds better than headphones to me. I know I be lost some resolution in some places, mainly mid bass but it all sounds more like music. And WAF too bc of less clutter.

Wanted to post a pic but it posts upside down.

NoDisco

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2021, 09:32 pm »

A non upside down pic for you.