Sonus Faber??

Audioclyde

Sonus Faber??
« on: 3 Jan 2016, 09:06 pm »
Any Sonus Faber lovers here?  Years ago I'd had Electa Amator IIs--wish I still had them around. I would not want to give up my DA-RMas, but sometimes I yearn for the old SF sound. I have a pair of older model Concertos in the closet, but they never grabbed me emotionally like the EA IIs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Sonus Faber??
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2016, 10:22 pm »
I heard the Extrema (2-way stand-mount with rear mounted passive radiator) last summer and immediately liked it.  Really cool shape with carbon fiber monocoque construction.  I've always had good taste, but didn't realize that in this case it ran $70,000 a pair MSRP!   :o

Honestly thought my ~$3200/pair Brines Acoustics M18-F200 sounded similar (but had more bass).  Unfortunately the drivers to my speakers are no longer available.   :(

Audioclyde

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2016, 11:00 pm »
Yep, the Sonus Faber prices get crazy expensive quickly. I'd love to hear the Elypsa Red (admittedly cause I think they look great).

I'm not sure these newer models retain the lush mids that I recall from my EA IIs though. I gave them up due to desire to go to spkrs much more SET friendly but I'd like to hear them powered by my current 'HT' amp, the McIntosh 152....

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2016, 11:21 pm »
I spent some time in the SF room at the 2012 RMAF, and came away favorably impressed with the sound, but not the sound/$ ratio. 

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2016, 12:55 am »
I was helping out a local guy sort out his system with SF Amati Homages that are quite a few years old. He had the "itch" to try something new until we swapped some of his electronics out. They came so alive he's decided to keep them and work on the source/amps instead. I'd never spent a lot of time with SF's, but after a few hours work, they sounded terrific - smooth mids, open, and very coherent.