on-wall or in-wall speaker recommendations

audiogoober

on-wall or in-wall speaker recommendations
« on: 14 Jan 2012, 04:25 am »
I know, I know.....   :(

I'm in the process of setting up a second system for our living room. My wife is on a Totem Tribe 3 or Tribe 5 on wall speaker kick, and since I already have my own dedicated system, I may have to compromise on the speakers. Does anyone have any input on the Tribes mentioned above, or any other suggestions for something decent on or in the walls? I've never heard them, as no dealers nearby stock them. She doesn't really want to sacrifice any floor space and white speakers/grills are desired as well.  They'll most likely be driven by the Modwright KWI-200 or Pass Labs INT-30A integrated amps.

tshifrin

Re: on-wall or in-wall speaker recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2012, 11:41 pm »
See if you can interest her in the on-wall Maggies, see magnepan.com.
Other than that, my suggestion is to say "Yes, dear."

Tom

Netdewt

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm »
I just listened to the Magnepan wall speakers (not the MMGW, the 1 step up) @ a local audio place. They sound very excellent.

audiogoober

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2012, 03:45 pm »
Thank you both for the suggestions. What's worse, Totem on wall speakers and a warm bed, or DAEDALUS Athena's and sleeping in the dog house for a month :-)

I love the Athena's.....and her!!

HT cOz

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2012, 03:52 pm »
You have your own dedicated system/room. Consider yourself lucky and move on. Take the extra money and get her something she likes.

If I was after in walls that rock, I would contact Ruben "Out of the woods" and have him make me some using GR Research AV-1rs. Next you have to figure out how to get some bass in the room. Or just let her go with what she wants. 

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2012, 03:58 pm »
 :)
I had the Maggie on wall speakers for quite some time in several rooms and they really were quite nice. I would fold them flat when not listening and always placed they them in a quasi near field position and toed  them in when I wanted to listen.
In reflecting back these really were a very clean way of enjoying audio. I kind of reminds me of the uncluttered feeling I had when moving back into my home after my house fire. As I walk around my house and around speaker stands, wires and boxes of cables etc.
Your wife may just be ahead of the curve.
And this is from a guy who just finished a set of N2x, N3s and ordered up just yesterday  some Wild Burrows.  :duh: 

kip_

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2012, 07:46 pm »
Have Jim Salk or Rick Craig customize the crossovers on one of their models. Speakers have drastically different frequency response when on or in-wall. And they'll be far better value than anything sold at retail

drjjpdc

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:36 pm »
Goober,

Joseph Audio makes a very good in wall speaker. Take a look.

http://www.josephaudio.com/JosephAudio/Insider.html

kbuzz3

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2012, 02:24 am »
Have Jim Salk or Rick Craig customize the crossovers on one of their models. Speakers have drastically different frequency response when on or in-wall. And they'll be far better value than anything sold at retail

Salk makes on walls?

PMAT

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:53 am »
No Brainer!  You have a dedicated system, and the wife wants a second system the way "she wants it."  Let her do it!  Anything else will start a snowball effect. You can always change it later.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2012, 06:35 am »
Salk makes on walls?

He'll do whatever you want. They do surrounds so it won't be a problem.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2012, 09:32 am »
Budget?  Room size?

Have you considered audiophile "lifestyle" alternatives?  Gallo and TBI (the tiny sub folks) come to mind.  Both offer speakers in various colors and are supposed to be very placement friendly.  Could save tearing up walls to run wire too.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:08 am »
I heard the Totrm Tribe 1s at a custom installer shop.  Sounded excellent.  They were driven by some Bryston and Simaudio stuff.  A lot of it depends on setup obviously though.

Totem makes excellent stuff.  Their stuff may not be everyone's cup of tea, but nothing worth having is IMO.  If your wife likes them, chances are she won't want anything else (if she's like my wife and practically every other woman I know).  I'd say buy them.  Totem doesn't make junk.