Couple of OB7 Questions

Captainhemo

Couple of OB7 Questions
« on: 7 Jan 2013, 03:21 am »
Hi Guys
After an interesting  NYE,  it sounds like my folks may be wanting to take my N3 TL's off my  hands ( not that I'm trying to seel  them but  if my folks  want them,  I'd love to see them   have a great set of speakers).
Anyway,  I think if this happens I'm  going to move up a notch and build myself a pair of OB7's.

Since building the N3's ,  I've really  been listening to more and more 2 ch audio, I've probably only watched 2 or 3 movies since  completing the N3's .  After reading may of the OB7 threads  here,  I think they would be a great choice  to improve  my audio listening experience.
I read Danny's write up on his web site abouit them, and it says they will work well in any sized room, including s/med sizes.  These would only be going in  a room   19' x 13'.  I don't imagine  that the upgraded M130X's would be reccomened for the bass section in  a room this size ? I'm a little worred  that if I don't get the uprade and I ever end up moving into a home with a larger room, it will be much more ex0pensive to upgrade at a later date. If I were to go with the upgarde now, would I be able to  control the bass effectively with the BMS included with the upgrade ?
Next concern is how much power am I going to need to drive these ? I hope to upgrade to possibly a tube amp one day but for now,I'd be using my Integra  receiver which puts out  85W to each front channel (actually 85 to all 5 but I'm only using the front 2 right now) , hopefully  that will do until I can afford an upgrade
Not sure if my folks are going to also want my current sub to go along with the N3's but if they do,  I'll also  be  going with one of Danny's  12" servo subs.  If not,  I'll continue using  what I've got no (the CSS  SDX10 + 2 10" PR's) .

Looking forward to hopefully doing this soon and some OB  listening
-jay

NeilT

Re: Couple of OB7 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2013, 05:06 am »
Pm sent.

Neil

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2013, 05:14 pm »
I read Danny's write up on his web site abouit them, and it says they will work well in any sized room, including s/med sizes.  These would only be going in  a room   19' x 13'.

That is the same size as the rooms I have had at RMAF when I demo'ed the OB-7 plus models several years ago. No problem.

I don't imagine  that the upgraded M130X's would be reccomened for the bass section in  a room this size ? I'm a little worred  that if I don't get the uprade and I ever end up moving into a home with a larger room, it will be much more ex0pensive to upgrade at a later date. If I were to go with the upgarde now, would I be able to  control the bass effectively with the BMS included with the upgrade ?

Sound quality wise the M130 and M-130X are close. I give a slight edge to the M-130X and a little more extension. That edge goes up though the harder that they are played. The best thing about the M-130X upgrade is the bass management system that will allow you to tweak the output levels to match the room loading of your room. Big plus! Especially for small rooms.

Next concern is how much power am I going to need to drive these ? I hope to upgrade to possibly a tube amp one day but for now,I'd be using my Integra  receiver which puts out  85W to each front channel (actually 85 to all 5 but I'm only using the front 2 right now) , hopefully  that will do until I can afford an upgrade

Sensitivity is the same as your N3's. So they will need about the same amount of power.

Not sure if my folks are going to also want my current sub to go along with the N3's but if they do,  I'll also  be  going with one of Danny's  12" servo subs.  If not,  I'll continue using  what I've got no (the CSS  SDX10 + 2 10" PR's) .

Servo subs man, servo subs.  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2013, 08:09 pm »

Sound quality wise the M130 and M-130X are close. I give a slight edge to the M-130X and a little more extension. That edge goes up though the harder that they are played. The best thing about the M-130X upgrade is the bass management system that will allow you to tweak the output levels to match the room loading of your room. Big plus! Especially for small rooms.
So deos the BMS get built into the cross over ?  Is it difficult to make adjustments  to it ?  I was actually  thinking of doing an external cross over on the rear baffle and just making a small  cover for it... if the BMS IS incorporated nto the cross over,  I'm sure this would make adjustments easier.

Servo subs man, servo subs.  :thumb:
Well,  I guess I'll have to try and get them  to take the  sub off my  hands too :)  It actually works very well withthe N3's  right now. If they do  want it,  I'll  do a servo for sure

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2013, 08:27 pm »
Externally mounting the crossover makes it real easy.

I usually mounted behind woofer so that it could be pulled out to make adjustments then re-installed.

Ron

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2013, 03:36 pm »
  Danny, is the Bass Management System for the OB-7 made up of a bank of resistors in a series/parallel arrangement or does it have some inductors and capacitors in the circuit too that can be changed or removed to alter the bass response ?  Does it require a lot of tweaking to get the best bass balance?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2013, 04:17 pm »
  Danny, is the Bass Management System for the OB-7 made up of a bank of resistors in a series/parallel arrangement or does it have some inductors and capacitors in the circuit too that can be changed or removed to alter the bass response ?  Does it require a lot of tweaking to get the best bass balance?

It is an LCR network with a lot of resistors making up the R value. And you can vary the number of resistors to change how much effect it has in the circuit.

Ron

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2013, 06:21 pm »
  Thanks Danny. I appreciate you answering my question. I kind of figured that some sort of LCR network was probably involved. So by varing the number of resistors you can increase or decrease the bass output to suit your room acoustics.

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2013, 08:09 pm »
So I am assuming we can set these up  at the beginning to run as if there was no  BMS   until the speakers are broken in.  Then make adjustments as needed ?

Additionally, Danny  I noticed  that on   your website it says   the cross overs use  a mixture of   ply caps,  sonicaps,  and Gen II bypass caps .   There is  also no  "sonicap upgrade " offered at the bottom.  I assume this means that you've already used  the sonicaps where  they best make a difference   and that   swapping the other poly caps out isn't going to make  a  whole lot of difference?  I'd assume   this is also true with the resistors as you've used both  Mils and  Lynx.
I am thinking of going with the Platinum bypass caps  in the tweeter circuit.  What is the additional cost for this  (just tweeter circuit) . 
I also read from  a post a while back  that you  had reccomended  using a coouple extra Gen ## caps in the woofer circuit ( I think that is what I read, I can't find it  now).
Finally , if I go with en 1 1/2" front baffle how much will I need to radius the back of the  woofer/mid  cutouts ?
It looks like this is  going to happen ,  my folks called last night and  told me to go ahead and try to find them  a used receiver to drive the N3's  :)
Looking forward to  this

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm »
So I am assuming we can set these up  at the beginning to run as if there was no  BMS   until the speakers are broken in.  Then make adjustments as needed ?

I'd set them in a middle of the road position to burn them in. Those parts will need a burn in too.

Additionally, Danny  I noticed  that on   your website it says   the cross overs use  a mixture of   ply caps,  sonicaps,  and Gen II bypass caps .   There is  also no  "sonicap upgrade " offered at the bottom.  I assume this means that you've already used  the sonicaps where  they best make a difference   and that   swapping the other poly caps out isn't going to make  a  whole lot of difference?

This is correct. Erse poly caps are just used in the crossover of the woofer section, bass management, and lower mids. And even there they are by-passed with a Gen. 2 Sonicap.

I'd assume   this is also true with the resistors as you've used both  Mils and  Lynx.

Yes. The Lynk resistors are only used in the lower woofer section.

I am thinking of going with the Platinum bypass caps  in the tweeter circuit.  What is the additional cost for this  (just tweeter circuit) .

$156 for the Platinum cap upgrade. That's a nice upgrade too.

I also read from  a post a while back  that you  had reccomended  using a coouple extra Gen ## caps in the woofer circuit ( I think that is what I read, I can't find it  now).

You could add a .1uF Gen. 2 by-pass to the Sonicap that is in the shunt of the mid circuit. They are only $2.70 each.

Finally , if I go with en 1 1/2" front baffle how much will I need to radius the back of the  woofer/mid  cutouts ?

I'd go for as large of a radius as the baffle width will support. So maybe a 1" radius.

It looks like this is  going to happen ,  my folks called last night and  told me to go ahead and try to find them  a used receiver to drive the N3's 
Looking forward to  this

Sounds good.

nzone

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2013, 03:33 pm »
Capt,

You're price gouging your N3 to your folks for OB-7?  :green:

**Just playing with ya.  :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2013, 07:25 pm »
Capt,

You're price gouging your N3 to your folks for OB-7?  :green:

**Just playing with ya.  :D

Haha,  if I couild get them to pay for the OB7's that'd be great   :)  No,  they are getting them  at my cost.   They  are going to love having the  N3's  in their house

-jay