Super-V, Is this my ideal speaker???

RCduck7

Super-V, Is this my ideal speaker???
« on: 25 Apr 2012, 08:49 pm »
Hi, rightnow i have Hyperionsound HPS-938 speakers. Lately i developed an intrest in single driver speakers since i heard a konus audio speaker. I presume becausse of it has no crossover in the crucial area wich is sensitive to the ear. Also, i like Dynaudio wich has a low crossover frequencie, could be no coincidence.

On the other hand i also liked the open baffle Lyngdorf Steinway system i heard on a show, wich i can not afford. It would be nice to have the benefits of those in one speaker.

Can the Super-V be the requirments i crave for??
Is it a PA speaker or hifi speaker or something in between??

It should sound "live" but not shouty, will i have sweet sounding treble like the upper range of a B&W speaker/tweeter for instance? The coax driver super-V can go to 18khz i believe. Is this enough?? When i use an equalizer and use the 20khz band i can sure the hear the difference.

Will i have a tight low frequencie pressure as with a box speaker in this open baffle design for dance music for instance??

Why is the design more complicated then just a wooden plate with the drivers bolt on to?

Is there a reason for the lowest servo sub to face the back??

MichaelHiFi

Re: Super-V, Is this my ideal speaker???
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2012, 09:43 pm »
I'm not the person to answer your questions in detail. These are Danny Richie's speakers. I am a fan of the Hyperion 938's as wanted to buy them at various points of my audio life.

I guess if you look at my Super V sound thread, you would see what I owned in the way of speakers and how I arrived at the Super V's. In all honesty, what I'm hearing now might be my persistence on experimenting and more importantly finding good synergy with components. I don't think the Super V's are fussy about equipment giving the fact that the bass regions have been fully addressed and are spectacular in sound.

I had Dynaudio Confidence C1's. They were good but very different speaker. They burned.

It's a speaker to listen to music with IMO.

I hear no shouty issues with these drivers running the Jupiter caps. The bass goes subterranean and is leagues better than my Fathom F113 as in NO CONTEST. But then, I only had a singular F113 and bass being the evil dictator of your room, I needed 2 or 3 F113's and didn't want to go there. I'm listening to bass lines like a junkie. I don't like "bloomy" bass.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2012, 10:10 pm »
I'll try and answer some of those questions for you.

Can the Super-V be the requirments i crave for??

That one is a subjective question, but I would be willing to bet that the Super-V's will do everything you seek.

Is it a PA speaker or hifi speaker or something in between??

By the way it has been designed and built it is clearly a top level audiophile driver. However, its original intent may have been targeted towards trying to bring high quality to the music production (not reproduction) industry.

It should sound "live" but not shouty, will i have sweet sounding treble like the upper range of a B&W speaker/tweeter for instance?

That is an interesting question. I find the Super-V's to create a very real or live sound. I don't find them shouty or harsh. I have a pet peeve about that type of sound. And I find the sound of the metal dome B&W speakers to be a bit harsh and fatiguing. I can't listen to any B&W speaker that I have heard to date for very long.

The coax driver super-V can go to 18khz i believe. Is this enough?? When i use an equalizer and use the 20khz band i can sure the hear the difference.

My measurements show good upper end extension. I don't see any issues there.

When you boost a signal with an EQ at 20kHz you are also boosting levels at 10kHz and even 5kHz. So I wouldn't read too much into that.

Will i have a tight low frequencie pressure as with a box speaker in this open baffle design for dance music for instance??

The Super-V's are much better in that regard than any boxed speaker. Not only is the bass cleaner, tighter, and faster than anything else, but you also won't have the same loading of the room and room boom that you can get from a sealed sub.

Why is the design more complicated then just a wooden plate with the drivers bolt on to?

I didn't think that there were complicated, but everything is like it is for a reason. If the drivers were simply bolted to a baffle then the performance would certainly suffer in many areas.

Is there a reason for the lowest servo sub to face the back??

It is suppose to cancel out some harmonic distortions. It also helps balance out the weight of the speaker and makes it more stable.

nickd

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2012, 10:30 pm »
The Super V may be the most musical loudspeaker I have ever owned. I have been serious about audio for 30 years and owned at least that many ultra high end loudspeakers. There is a "righthness" that comes across when listening to the V. everything in proper size and detail. The only draw back at all is the need for at least 3' of space behind the speaker. They also love diffusion behind the mid/tweet. if you have the room and the budget, they are un-equaled at long term listening satisfaction IMHO.

By far Danny's best work to date. To my knowledge there is no commercially available loudspeaker with all the benifits of the Super V. There are many with more weaknesses, and many that cost far more and leave you wanting.

RCduck7

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies and thank you Danny for answering all my questions.

I am a fan of the Hyperion 938's as wanted to buy them at various points of my audio life.

MichealHifi, did you hear the Hyperion 938's long enough to make a comparison to the Super-V?? If so, what do you think are the negatives of the 938's for not having them in your possesion rightnow? Price of the speakers? I'm pleased with these speakers but the comments on the Super-V were to good to not take notice.

RCduck7

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:58 pm »
My measurements show good upper end extension. I don't see any issues there.

When you boost a signal with an EQ at 20kHz you are also boosting levels at 10kHz and even 5kHz. So I wouldn't read too much into that.

So, will there be no benefit at all in adding a supertweeter? (Just adding one is easy to say of coursse, it probaly would have to integrate well). Or would it glorify the sound and make it less real sounding?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:20 pm »
So, will there be no benefit at all in adding a supertweeter? (Just adding one is easy to say of coursse, it probaly would have to integrate well). Or would it glorify the sound and make it less real sounding?

Adding a super tweeter to a full range speaker is just asking for problems. You just wind up with cancellation patters in the off axis and it is more destructive to the response than anything else.

RCduck7

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:26 pm »
The Super V may be the most musical loudspeaker I have ever owned. I have been serious about audio for 30 years and owned at least that many ultra high end loudspeakers. There is a "righthness" that comes across when listening to the V. everything in proper size and detail. The only draw back at all is the need for at least 3' of space behind the speaker. They also love diffusion behind the mid/tweet. if you have the room and the budget, they are un-equaled at long term listening satisfaction IMHO.

By far Danny's best work to date. To my knowledge there is no commercially available loudspeaker with all the benifits of the Super V. There are many with more weaknesses, and many that cost far more and leave you wanting.

I moved house recently and i'm (re)building a room. So, rightnow i'm in a situation that i can't listen to my speakers properly. The room will be 16.3' x 18' and 3 sides will have a sloped ceiling. The speakers will be standing along the 18' side wich has no sloped ceiling. The speakers can be 3' from the backwall, the Hyperions i own also benefit from being away from the back wall. For now i have an intrest in the Super-V but first my room has to be finished before i would have to make any important steps in speakers or equipment.

This is my room, work in progress (pics in thread).
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100352.20
At first i had problems with the walls i created on the existing floor in the room. They walls were resonating when playing loud. I resolved the problem by decoupling a new floor from the walls.
And greetings to you all from Belgium. :wink:

nickd

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2012, 09:42 pm »
Nice room! The Super V will work very well up there. The V's are heavy though, plan on 91 kg each going up the stairs. :o

RCduck7

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2012, 11:15 pm »
Nice room! The Super V will work very well up there. The V's are heavy though, plan on 91 kg each going up the stairs. :o

Thanks, i'm planning to do some room acoustic treatment to. I experienced plasterboard walls sound harder. The first thing i will do is to hang the room with acoustic wallpaper and see what i can do from there on. A good room with acoustic treatment is better then a bad room with a room correction program if you ask me.

RCduck7

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2012, 07:54 pm »
I have a few more questions about the Super-V.
In the following link, is this the frequencie curve of the Super-V i found on this forum?
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=2607.0

What are the crossover points?? I ask this becausse i love the purity of a single driver (allthough it has it's drawback in the upper frequencies), that the crossover point is out of the Khz band that is most sensitive on the ear is important a lot of times. Does the (midrange)sound come close to that of a single driver speaker??

Did anyone heard both, the super-V or V1, V2 and the Tekton Pendragon or Lore speakers? Different speakers, i know but how do they compare?

nickd

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2012, 08:41 pm »
The crossover to the mid/tweeter is at 1khz. The 12" mid/woofer rolls off nicely below 100hz and as you can see by the graph in your provided link, driver impedance rises nicely below 100 HZ  almost acting like a hi-pass filter of sorts. limiting output from the mid woofer in the servo sub range.

Danny has some measurments of frequency response but I wouldn't read much into them. The 12" cone on the P Audio driver acts as a wave guide and the O.B. nature of the driver make it sound quite different than the measurements might sugest if it were a standard monitor. You really need to hear them to understand what is possible in an O.B design.

I have never heard any single driver sound anything like the modified P Audio driver. Mated with the servo 12's, it's in a leauge of it's own.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2012, 11:11 pm by nickd »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2012, 09:24 pm »
Interesting.  Those are pictures of my Super-V's!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2012, 10:36 pm »
The critical crossover point that you want to avoid is in the heart of the mid-range. That is the 300Hz to 500Hz range. And octave above that and you're home free.

The crossover points of the Super-V avoid that range crossing at 200Hz and 1kHz.

And to me one of the Super-V's best strengths is its mid-range.

RCduck7

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2012, 08:09 pm »
The critical crossover point that you want to avoid is in the heart of the mid-range. That is the 300Hz to 500Hz range. And octave above that and you're home free.

The crossover points of the Super-V avoid that range crossing at 200Hz and 1kHz.

And to me one of the Super-V's best strengths is its mid-range.

This looks very good and the tweeter in the coaxial driver has a very low crossover point, i think that suggests it is one of very good quality.
The frequency curve also shows it is climbing to 20khz, no rolloff here, nice.

morganc

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2012, 01:11 am »
I have a few more questions about the Super-V.
In the following link, is this the frequencie curve of the Super-V i found on this forum?
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=2607.0

What are the crossover points?? I ask this becausse i love the purity of a single driver (allthough it has it's drawback in the upper frequencies), that the crossover point is out of the Khz band that is most sensitive on the ear is important a lot of times. Does the (midrange)sound come close to that of a single driver speaker??

Did anyone heard both, the super-V or V1, V2 and the Tekton Pendragon or Lore speakers? Different speakers, i know but how do they compare?

I own the Pendragons and have owned the Lores.  Yesterday I heard the Super V's for the first time and they are in a class above the Tekton's no question.  They do everything the Tektons do well and then a lot more :thumb:.  If you have the space and the $$$ for the Super V's they are a no brainer.  You will be happy.

Trismos

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2013, 02:33 am »
Interesting.  Those are pictures of my Super-V's!  :thumb:

I don't suppose you have some better pics of your cross-over Hal? What copper foil inductor is that? Nice

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2013, 02:24 pm »
An Alpha Core foil inductor. 

The picture is from the RMAF2010 show.
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2013, 09:10 pm by HAL »

Trismos

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2013, 08:45 pm »
Thanks! PM sent.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2013, 10:54 pm »
An Alpha Core foil inductor. 

The picture is from the RMAF2010 show.

Regarding the Hyperions, I never heard them. Just what I gleaned from the many posts which seemed to spark my interest. Regardless, the V's are the first speaker I've owned since my Def Tech BP2000's early on in this long audio journey that I'm not looking for another speaker.

Hal, did you start out with the alpha core inductor? Did it make much of a difference if not?