Any way to tell a Mac a DAC can accept 192kHz even tho it registers as 96kHz?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
There is no notify button:

At the moment of this image you had only 2 posts yet in the introductory stage(3 posts), try again now you have 4 posts.

rbpeirce

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please read this, then please file a bug report here.

It is there now and I was able to quote your remark!  Maybe it has something to do with the number of posts I made.  I don't know.  I'm new to this site and I'm here basically to see if anybody can help me to solve a rather specific problem.

rbpeirce

At the moment of this image you had only 2 posts yet in the introductory stage(3 posts), try again now you have 4 posts.

I see.  That is why it now works for me.

rbpeirce

This works but it is hardly obvious.  I created an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup that contains both DACs.  I made the 192kHz DAC the Clock source and set it to 192kHz.  I made the 96kHz DAC the output DAC.  I made the aggregate the output in Pure Music’s audio setup.

I am not a software guru so I’m only guessing but I think the 192kHz DAC is telling Pure Music it is okay to send the audio aggregate a 192kHz signal and that signal is being sent to the 96kHz DAC, which is capable of playing 192kHz signals if you can get them to it.  I have searched the internet and can find no explanation of how audio aggregates actually work, so this is pure guess-work.

Johnny2Bad

Aggregates are just a chain or group of devices, but are seen by Core Audio as one device. Core Audio is a set of routines embedded in OSX that applications can call to perform audio tasks. Most OSX applications would use Core Audio rather than write their own custom routines to perform various audio tasks.

rbpeirce

Aggregates are just a chain or group of devices, but are seen by Core Audio as one device.

Except in this case the computer control interface program to the 192kHz DAC doesn't indicate anything is actually going through it.  It looks like the only function of this DAC in the aggregate is to tell the computer the aggregate can accept a 192kHz signal which is then just passed directly to the 96kHz DAC.  If true, this is exactly what I was originally hoping to do, replace one device with another, rather than chain them together.

Johnny2Bad

I'm not sure we are speaking the same language here, but if you can select it in Audio Midi Setup, it quite clearly is "going through it".

rbpeirce

I'm not sure we are speaking the same language here, but if you can select it in Audio Midi Setup, it quite clearly is "going through it".

Depends on what it is.  The signal is going through the aggregate.  It does not appear it is actually going through the 192kHz part of the aggregate in the sense that the I/O control for that DAC shows nothing coming in or going out and there is no output to the amps from the device.  I'm not saying it isn't actually doing something beside telling the system the aggregate can accept 192kHz, which is its primary function, I just can't see it anywhere.

OTOH, the 96kHz DAC is clearly receiving the 192kHz signal and processing it properly.