Class A El84 Tube Stereo Headphone amplifier, integrated!

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Niteshade Headphone Amplifier:

Two inputs, all vintage iron! 100% Class A, self biasing. Variable feedback included!

dangerbird

Re: Class A El84 Tube Stereo Headphone amplifier, integrated!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2010, 07:15 pm »
Eh,, somebodys' been busy-and what does this puppy go for?  :D

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2010, 09:33 pm »

Two inputs, all vintage iron! 100% Class A, self biasing. Variable feedback included!
Hi Blair.
Why the output transformers of this low wattage (1 wpc) headphone amplifiers are much bigger/larger than the output transformers of my SA-15 (15 wpc) ?
We still have not seen any of your new cosmetic improvement on any of the photos you have posted, is it because that's an option ?
This is a new model and you still don't have your name plate on it, why ?
Guy 13.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2010, 09:38 pm »
This was a special build using all vintage components. A new one will cost $680.00 with similar transformers. A non-integrated version would be $600.00.

A host of upgrades are available: Wood sides, DC filaments, 1940's upgrade and so on. The SE upgrade isn't necessary- but power supply upgrades will work exceptionally well.

The power is set at two watts per channel and 5-ways were not installed for speakers, but they can be.

We can have custom outputs wound too!  :D

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2010, 09:50 pm »
This was a special build using all vintage components. A new one will cost $680.00 with similar transformers. A non-integrated version would be $600.00.

A host of upgrades are available: Wood sides, DC filaments, 1940's upgrade and so on. The SE upgrade isn't necessary- but power supply upgrades will work exceptionally well.

The power is set at two watts per channel and 5-ways were not installed for speakers, but they can be.

We can have custom outputs wound too!  :D
Hi Blair.
What about the face/front plate and rocker switch(es) you mention in an earlier post ?
When will we see those on all the amplifier you build ?
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2010, 09:52 pm »
More nameplates are coming in. Rocker switches will take effect soon- hang in there. Orders in which nameplates were not factored into the price did not receive them.

You are correct- most cosmetic improvements are optional. I do not have a faceplate for integrated amps or preamps yet.

The wattage is a function of how the power supply and tube loading are set up for this model. By reducing power, it makes it easier to filter and that is a must with a headphone amp. Tons of powere are unnecessary anyway. I happened to get a VERY good deal on some transformers for this individual since they were originally in an organ amplifier by Leslie from the 1960's.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:03 am »

Hi Blair.
Two sources connected to the two inputs of your headphone amplifier, that's nice, however, what happens if you want to listen to the two same sources with your amplifier connected to your speakers ?
You have to disconnect one or two of the cable and reconnect them to your speaker ampliifer and again re-connect them when you want to listen to the headphones again. Would it be easier to have a set of signal output jacks from the amplifier going to the input of the headphones amplifier and do the switching via a passive input selector switch on the speaker amplifier ?
Guy 13 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:50 am »
What you want is the equivalent to a HT bypass. This will bypass the amplifier and sent it out to a set of RCA outputs.

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:07 pm »
What you want is the equivalent to a HT bypass. This will bypass the amplifier and sent it out to a set of RCA outputs.
Hi Blair.
Yes, what I want is a set of output RCA jacks on the main amplifier that would feed the RCA input jacks of the headphones amplifier. The main amplifier input selector switch would choose the source and sent it to the headphone amplifier, the main amplifier could be on or even off, since the signal source would only run thru the main amplifier.

Therefore no need to have an input selector switch on the headphone amplifier.
Does that make sense ?
Guy 13.
You did not have time to visit or exhibit at the RMAF ?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2010, 01:14 pm »
You could have an input selector on the amp and the switch would just bypass the volume and amplifier circuit. This way, your sources would not have to be disconnected from the integrated amp if you wanted to feed a different integrated system. The main amp would double as an input switch box.

There are other possibilities as well so that a separate headphone amp doesn't have to be purchased.

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:25 am »
You could have an input selector on the amp and the switch would just bypass the volume and amplifier circuit. This way, your sources would not have to be disconnected from the integrated amp if you wanted to feed a different integrated system. The main amp would double as an input switch box.

There are other possibilities as well so that a separate headphone amp doesn't have to be purchased.
Hi Blair.
What you mention and suggest in the first above paragraph is exactly what I want for the headphones.
However, I would also like to have an extra set of output RCA jacks that could be proportionnal to the volume control setting to send the signal to the input of the plate SS amplifier on my V-1 or V-2 speakers.
I prefer to have a seperate headphone amplifier because that way you don't have to power the whole integrated amplifier, plus, if you don't have any headphones or spekers connected to the integrated amplifier while the integrated amplifier is powered and at maximum volume, you could blow up something, am I right ?
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:41 am »
I was thinking about making an amplifier capable of handling headphones via a switch or two that could be used to make something like a NS-15 an instant, 100% authentic headphone preamp. It can be done and it would work perfectly. Only two extra switches on the front will be necessary. Another member suggested something VERY interesting that would make a NS-15 or a dedicated headphone amp saught after and easier to market.

I am working on a good labeling system. It is important, especially with multi-function equipment.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2010, 01:36 pm »
I was thinking about making an amplifier capable of handling headphones via a switch or two that could be used to make something like a NS-15 an instant, 100% authentic headphone preamp. It can be done and it would work perfectly. Only two extra switches on the front will be necessary. Another member suggested something VERY interesting that would make a NS-15 or a dedicated headphone amp saught after and easier to market.

I am working on a good labeling system. It is important, especially with multi-function equipment.
Hi Blair and all.
Making the NS-15 into an headphone amplifier, IMO would be a waste of power, especially when many manufacturers are using the low power consumption 6922, 6N1P or 6N2P tubes that can drive any headphones from 25 to 300 ohms.
You can also get several good OTL tube headphone amplifiers for around 350 USD and two that I know are 100% Made in USA.
I think I prefer the separate unit approach ? ? ?
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:14 am »
I will not get into the circuit specifics, but I can make a dual purpose amplifier capable of perfectly running headphones or a set of speakers. It can be done so only one amp has to be used. There would be no sonic compromises in either mode.

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:56 am »
I will not get into the circuit specifics, but I can make a dual purpose amplifier capable of perfectly running headphones or a set of speakers. It can be done so only one amp has to be used. There would be no sonic compromises in either mode.
Hi Blair.
Thanks
Guy 13