LP then CD and now... Laptop ? ? ? ?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: LP then CD and now... Laptop ? ? ? ?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jul 2010, 02:32 pm »
I started the process of ripping my CD's to hard drive in WAV format. 

Found that my earliest made in West Germany pressings for Mercury have higher error rates.  One of them is mostly unusable at this point.  Luckily I have a MoFi version of the same CD, so no real loss.

Do not see any CD rot, but the errors are there. 

Alot of them are not well balanced and vibrate.  They have to be read more slowly by the transport. 

Audioclyde

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jul 2010, 04:45 pm »
Hey Rich,

One thing I did when starting this process was purchase an external cd/dvd drive to attach to my laptop. Didn't spend big bucks but got a well regarded Samsung on sale. It seems to work better & faster; plus with some of my worse condition cd's I don't worry so much that they are going to freeze up my internal cd drive.

Best,

Randy

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 5 Jul 2010, 05:47 pm »
Randy,
Thanks for the heads-up.  I was thinking about that.   I have multiple external DVD drives for PC's.  Will give that a shot.

Best,
Rich

Guy 13

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jul 2010, 12:16 pm »
I keep my CD music on CD because it is convenient enough for me that way. 

The software I have been using to digitize LP's and other audio sources is Audacity. I have Lame installed on an IBM Dual Opteron 1U server to make MP3's and for archiving.
Hi all.
My PC is on a different floor from my sound system, I cannot afford a laptop and I like browsing thru my CD and LPs, I don't mind getting up to flip over my LPs and changing CDs as it give me a chance to stretch my 62 years old legs.
Yes, I zap a lot with my TV remote to choose something interesting from the 100+ cable channels, but once I have chosen a program or movie, I transform myself into a statue...
Guy 13.

wilbert-vanbakel

• Photoshopped Smile
    • On Facebook
« Reply #24 on: 7 Jul 2010, 04:30 am »
I don't mind getting up to flip over my LPs and changing CDs
It sounds like it works well for you. Doing some research is fun, but that doesn't mean that you need to change anything.
Although I vision that in the future I take my complete music collection to my family/friends and share the joy of music. Just stick my audio device in their docking station.