Tube guy wanting to try SS amp?!?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Tube guy wanting to try SS amp?!?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Oct 2019, 07:52 pm »
Only issue with the Schiit is that it's pretty bright.  Not harsh, but definitely bright.  Voiced fairly close to how a Bryston amp sounds.  At least that's what I heard w/the Aegir at RMAF this year, and it's a consistent house sound across all their gear.  The Aegir is less forward sounding that their prior stuff, but still too bright for me. 

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 27 Oct 2019, 08:28 pm »
The Van Alstine Set 400 would work perfectly and I'm not suggesting this amp because I use one, it's because it's a damn good amp. I hosted the fall get together of Tucson Audiophiles yesterday and the group was transfixed by the music the amp made. Frank Alles, a Senior Editor for Stereo Times, sat in the sweet spot for hours.

Even though the Double Impact's sensitivity is 98.82dB I would still go for the 400. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2019, 08:49 pm »
I have owned a variety of amplifiers over the years, mostly tube - single ended triodes (SET) in particular. Just as all tube amplifiers have their own unique sound or signature... so it is with all SS amplifiers.

Every amplifier is a compromise of sorts. I gravitated towards SET amplifiers because despite their limitations they sound more honest and immediate, particularly in the midrange, more so than any other amplifier, tube or SS. The attributes/characteristics of all other amplifiers whether they be regarded as weaknesses or strengths are easily identifiable in comparison to a SET. Once you’ve experienced SET magic, you feel like you have arrived. All other amplifiers by comparison sound dishonest, as if they were designed to oppress the soul of the music, robbing it of vitality.

The only amplifiers I have heard outside of the SET arena that can connect me to the music without sounding like a tube amplifier, or any amplifier for that matter... are the Maraschino amplifiers made by the Digital Amplifier Company. I can not recommend them enough. Too many people still regard Class D as not viable, but they are unaware of how quickly and how far technology has advanced in recent years.

The Maraschino’s are very small light weight high tech devices that don’t produce anything in the way of heat worth mentioning. They are powerful and stable even under difficult loads, and most importantly, they don’t sound like an amplifier! I don’t know if the Digital Amplifier Company offers a money back trial period, but I took a chance on the Maraschino’s a few years ago and never looked back. My ears are completely satisfied and there isn’t another amplifier at any price that interests me.  :D :D

khill

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2019, 09:05 pm »
Windchaser’s comment is what I’m afraid I’m going to find when trying to settle on a SS amp. I have been seduced by the Single Ended sound! The soundstage and seductive midrange is what I have not been able to get even with much more expensive push pull tube designs. The little Inspire amp is not a SE triode design but a pentode design and it’s seriously been hard for me to replicate the seductive nature of that little amp. The drawback is that I now have a much larger listening room and I find myself pushing the volume to clipping levels on some tracks I like to listen too with higher volume levels. Hell, if I was still had my previous listening room I could easily live with system 1 forever. I guess after all the comments what I am looking for is something with a wide and deep soundstage (similar to my little Inspire SEP) that I can push the volume level up without clipping.

Yes, Double Impacts are 4 ohm.

Great info here guys. Thanks much!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2019, 09:09 pm »
… SET magic...

A confluence of Class A, single transfer function (ie one output device), no zero crossing in the output transformer BL curve, the triode one of the most linear amplifying device invented by man, driving speakers that are relatively efficient and have a benign impedance curve, the amp operates in the millWatt range with vanishingly low distortion, and when stressed by significant dynamic peaks has mostly 2nd order distortion.

I have heard SETs that set the operating points for too much second and you can get a real syrupy amp.

The rare VFET/SIT SS device has a transfer curve very similar to a triode and SE amps made with these devices have much the same the same pluses as a SET. Firstwatt SIT 1/2/3 are rare examples. I love my SIT 3.

At least in the diy world we ar estarting to see SE SS amplifiers that use a transformer in conjunction with a more common MOSFET, to create an output characteristic curves close to SIT/triode.

The Firstwatt F2 has an output impedance that mimics a typical SET, so exhibits the same kind of amplifier/speaker impedance relationship as a SET.

dave

Freo-1

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2019, 09:13 pm »

Both Tyson's recommendation for First Watt and Wind Chaser's recommendation for the Cherry amps are worthy recommendations.  I think the First Watt offerings will sound closer to what you are accustomed to, but with tighter bass.

Having said that, I usually like to have reserve power on hand, so the Cherry amps are worth looking at.  The current class D amp crop is certainly much better than they were several years ago. 

I feel the same way about Devialet amps that Wind Chaser feels about the Cherry amps.  The integrated approach provided by Devialet is second to none IMHO. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 28 Oct 2019, 12:11 am »
I did hear a Firstwatt J2 against  the Cherry Monos. The Cherries sounded clearer and cleaner.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #27 on: 28 Oct 2019, 12:46 am »
With what speakers?

dave

rodge827

« Reply #28 on: 28 Oct 2019, 01:14 am »
With what speakers?

I use my DAC STM on a pair of Charney Audio Horns with the Omega RS7 driver. Very revealing with a wide and deep soundstage. Very musical. Digital front end is a Sparkler Audio  CD player.

Chris

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #29 on: 28 Oct 2019, 01:20 am »
You haven't said why you want to experiment with SS amplifiers.  What are you looking for?  More headroom?  Better control of the woofers?  Cleaner top end?

An issue with First Watt amplifiers is they're intended for audiophiles who know what they want/need already.  They all sound different because (mostly) each model has different input and output impedance, and feedback. Several are current source amplifiers, not applicable to your speakers.

If you'd just like to test the water to see the basic difference between your current amps and SS, I'd suggest picking up a Parasound Z amp.  You can get one for about $200 used and it's indistinguishable in a double blind test from $5k amplifiers.  If you like SS it won't necessarily be the one you stay with (limited headroom) but will easily drive the listed speakers to reasonable levels.  It has low output impedance, about 33k input impedance, and plenty of current. 

If it turns out you don't care for it, you're not out much money.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #30 on: 28 Oct 2019, 02:02 am »
Windchaser’s comment is what I’m afraid I’m going to find when trying to settle on a SS amp. I have been seduced by the Single Ended sound! The soundstage and seductive midrange is what I have not been able to get even with much more expensive push pull tube designs. The little Inspire amp is not a SE triode design but a pentode design and it’s seriously been hard for me to replicate the seductive nature of that little amp. The drawback is that I now have a much larger listening room and I find myself pushing the volume to clipping levels on some tracks I like to listen too with higher volume levels. Hell, if I was still had my previous listening room I could easily live with system 1 forever. I guess after all the comments what I am looking for is something with a wide and deep soundstage (similar to my little Inspire SEP) that I can push the volume level up without clipping.

Yes, Double Impacts are 4 ohm.

Great info here guys. Thanks much!

If you like a full rich midrange, then you must consider the Van Alstine SET 120 and 400 amps.  They are SS and they have a fabulous midrange.  Plus they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

RDavidson

« Reply #31 on: 28 Oct 2019, 02:03 am »

An issue with First Watt amplifiers is they're intended for audiophiles who know what they want/need already.  They all sound different because (mostly) each model has different input and output impedance, and feedback. Several are current source amplifiers, not applicable to your speakers.

I don't really agree with some of the generalizations here, but I understand what you're saying. Each First Watt amp is unique. Some models, particularly the F4 (and the F1and F2 to a lesser extent) due to being current source designs, require much more careful system matching electrically. Other models, like the F5 and F7 don't require as much "effort" as long as they have enough power for your speakers / room / output preferences. Nelson will simply suggest you give it a try and see for yourself. I think that's something we can all generally agree on, if one has the means to do so. :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #32 on: 28 Oct 2019, 02:16 am »
I don't really agree with some of the generalizations here, but I understand what you're saying. Each First Watt amp is unique. Some models, particularly the F4, require much more careful system matching electrically. Other models, like the F5 and F7 don't require as much "effort" as long as they have enough power for your speakers / room / output preferences. Nelson will simply suggest you give it a try and see for yourself. I think that's something we can all generally agree on, if one has the means to do so. :thumb:

I agree with this.  I've owned a couple of First Watt amps, and I have found them to be excellent performers.  It really comes down to personal preference and individual taste.

Having said that, I am biased towards the Devialet Expert/Expert Pro integrated solutions.  I have yet to hear any setup that sounds better than the Devialet solution.  The streaming options and built in DAC make the Devialet a superior choice for a all in one sonic solution.  The prices on the units second hand are actually quite reasonable.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #33 on: 28 Oct 2019, 02:27 am »
I agree with the last 2 posts. Great amps but require knowledge and a budget the OP isn't talking about. 

My suggestion was for a great sounding inexpensive amplifier to get a taste with, then move on from there if he likes it.

RDavidson

« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2019, 03:43 am »
I think that's a good suggestion, Rusty, to save money. But the OP is looking to spend $1-2k and is hoping to find a SS amp that is commensurate with his experience with his tube gear. I don't think he's necessarily looking for an SS amp that sounds like tubes, but an SS amp that is as enjoyable as his tube amps, on its own merit. Understandably, this is where the class A SS recommendations have come into play. On the used market there are several First Watt, Pass Labs, Parasound, etc. options in his price range...but, he might have to wait for the right opportunity to come along, then jump on it.

witchdoctor

« Reply #35 on: 28 Oct 2019, 04:10 am »
You know I thought about this and wanted to recommend the Paradigm PW Amp for you. For a two channel amp it packs a lot of punch. It's 50 watts a channel, plenty for your sensitive tektons AND it also includes a built in streamer and Paradigms highly acclaimed ARC room correction. The best part is Paradigm has them on sale for 50% off at around $225. I have this amp and don't see how you can go wrong for this price. It isn't just a great amp for this price, its a great amp. You will be able to stream about any music service and any file you have at home right through the app you download on your phone and/or just use it as a regular amp. BTW, the software for the app is updated frequently and runs fine, I stream amazon hi rez tracks now right from the app:

review
https://www.techhive.com/article/3153229/paradigm-pw-amp-review-a-dts-play-fi-amplifier-that-will-bring-out-the-best-from-your-speakers.html

Amp
https://www.paradigm.com/en/wireless/pw-amp

ssglx

« Reply #36 on: 28 Oct 2019, 11:28 am »
Well I'm going to double down on the Monarchy amp option. I have three of them. Two SM-70 Pro's and a Mark II. They are absolutely wonderful. Especially in the upper midrange. Pristine clean, "wet" saturated tone without a hint of dryness.

I can run as a single stereo amp at 24 w/ch which has been quite sufficient with all of my speakers (82 - 88 db efficiency), or as 75 w/ch monoblocks, or vertical biamp at 50 w/ch.
I work them in and out of two different systems, one with a tube preamp and one with a passive LDAR. Plenty of gain for the passive.

I purchased one of the amps used, loved it, and then accumulated two more new from Monarchy. Did not pay retail.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #37 on: 28 Oct 2019, 05:53 pm »
a single stereo amp at 24 w/ch which has been quite sufficient with all of my speakers (82 - 88 db efficiency), or as 75 w/ch monoblocks, or vertical biamp at 50 w/ch.

I heard a pair as a single, bridged monobloks, and using one channel of each amp. That last the best (relatively efficient, and easy to drive, speakers).

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #38 on: 28 Oct 2019, 06:31 pm »
I heard a pair as a single, bridged monobloks, and using one channel of each amp. That last the best (relatively efficient, and easy to drive, speakers).

dave
And ?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #39 on: 28 Oct 2019, 06:34 pm »
And they sounded very good. Someday i’d lie to get a pair.

dave