Class D Has Arrived

AvsFan

Re: Class D Has Arrived
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2019, 04:45 am »
I seriously doubt anyone saying such things has heard Tommy’s amps. Prior to the Maraschino’s I owned a few TPA boards but gave them all away. Yes, they sound fantastic and they can be had for next to nothing, but as good and great as they are (especially considering the cost) they are definitely NOT in the same league as the Maraschino’s. If they were, I would have kept the best TPA amp for myself and promptly returned the Maraschino’s back to Tommy.

Oh I KNOW they haven’t heard Tommy’s amps. I don’t even think the people that have talked negatively have even heard of DAC. Let alone heard one of his amps. So they are just speculating based on the number of inexpensive TPA/Class D amps out there. Basically, and excuse my language, a lot of people talking out their ass. That have no clue what the DAC amps sound like. Then there are people who think that the Class D and TPA amps sound real good and that there isn’t a huge difference in sonic differences between a lot of the Class D stuff available, that they all have a similar sound and that there is no justification to pay $1200 for a Class D amp. Well, like you said, there may be a lot of good sounding TPA amps out there but nothing even close to being in the Maraschinos league. Which is what I am expecting now. I EXPECT great things from this amp and am looking forward to giving my impressions.

AvsFan

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2019, 04:55 am »

AvsFan, congrats on the amp.  I am sure it will sound great, but you will appreciate the extra power and rich textured full midrange of the SET 400 AVA amp.

Thanks. You and I have been talking and you know I have put a lot of thought and research into my decision. I am sure I will be quite happy with the DAC STM. But of course won’t know anything until I get it and hear it for myself. But I am excited!

And even if this Maraschino blows me away and exceeds all my expectations, I still want one of Franks amps in my system, so it will either be the SET 120 or 400. It will be like having different flavors. Just like I love Pepsi and Mountain Dew. Both very different but both taste very good. It’s just whatever I am in the mood for that day.  :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2019, 09:07 am »
I EXPECT great things from this amp and am looking forward to giving my impressions.

Right on! :thumb:

What speakers? :popcorn:

Freo-1

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2019, 12:16 pm »
I was thinking about a Devialet Expert Pro used.  I see them from time to time.

I don't think you can go wrong there.  I was shocked when I first herd one. It sounded like a much more expensive setup.  The measurements bear out their superior performance.

One item of note:  There has been a lively debate on Devialet Chat as to what sounds better (A 220 Pro vs. a 400).  The takeaway is that unless your speakers are sufficiently sensitive, the extra power from the 400 provides better sonic performance over the 220.   

Having said that, a single D-Premier worked incredibly well.  It was a significant step up from other systems I've had.

jonbee

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jun 2019, 02:31 pm »
I've been an early adopter of class D amps, having owned about 20 (out of maybe 75 amps total) over the last 15-20 years, including several TP and other chip amps, Bel Cantos, PS Audios, N-Core, NuPrimes and 3 DACs.
I'd rank them in that order, by increasing SQ.
I belong to a small listening group, all with very fine systems. I'm the only member with Class D amps, the others having a number of fine amps covering the range from Shindo triodes to Spectral, solid state and tube.
All the members have been impressed by  the steady improvement in the SQ of my class D, and most believe the DACs are generally on a par with the best of theirs.
I like the NuPrimes too, and am still using two modded DAC10Hs and an IDA-8 in addition to the Maraschinos, but the DACs seem to have more control over difficult loads and are a bit more open sonically than the ST-10, but for more $. The IDA-8 is a marvel for the SQ and features it provides at at its modest price level.
As always, matchups rule, but the latest Class D designs are genuine contenders offering great sound, reliability, power efficiency, and operating qualities, IMO.

AvsFan

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2019, 02:31 pm »
Right on! :thumb:

What speakers? :popcorn:

I am going to try out the Maraschino on both systems. So Magnepan LRS's and ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends. And once again, two drastically different speakers and systems. But BOTH are GREAT speakers. Once again, whatever I am in the mood for that day. So as TO said, "Get your popcorn ready!"

RonN5

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2019, 03:40 pm »
@AvsFan

Some have said that Tommy's amps posses the better aspects of tube and solid state sound combined....and that may be correct...but my experience has been a completely unexpected but next level of clarity resulting in such transparency that the music just comes alive unlike I've heard in most home audio systems.  I will not be at all surprised if you have a similar experience...especially with the LRSs.

Why do I say that?  I own a 2Cherry, not an STM but my loudspeakers have RAAL 70-20 Ribbon Tweeters so I know what the Cherries can sound like with Ribbons.  As for the Zu....it should be very interesting because as you know they produce a totally different sound...very lively and some say that they can be a little bright and a little honky at times..but less so with tube amplifiers...so as I said, should be interesting.

Looking forward to your follow up postings as to how the STM sounds with the LRS and Dirty Weekend!

AvsFan

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jun 2019, 04:19 pm »
@AvsFan

Some have said that Tommy's amps posses the better aspects of tube and solid state sound combined....and that may be correct...but my experience has been a completely unexpected but next level of clarity resulting in such transparency that the music just comes alive unlike I've heard in most home audio systems.  I will not be at all surprised if you have a similar experience...especially with the LRSs.

Why do I say that?  I own a 2Cherry, not an STM but my loudspeakers have RAAL 70-20 Ribbon Tweeters so I know what the Cherries can sound like with Ribbons.  As for the Zu....it should be very interesting because as you know they produce a totally different sound...very lively and some say that they can be a little bright and a little honky at times..but less so with tube amplifiers...so as I said, should be interesting.

Well then I am in for quite a treat then! I am VERY excited to get this amp. It will be interesting to try it out in both systems.
As far as bright and honky sounding, I don't find that at all with the ZU's. Maybe some ZU's do that. In fact the ZU Definitions I had were very bright and detailed. I enjoyed the warmer and fuller sound of the Dirty Weekends. The Maggie's are brighter than the ZU's. So maybe the STM will be a perfect match for them.

Looking forward to your follow up postings as to how the STM sounds with the LRS and Dirty Weekend!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jun 2019, 05:10 pm »
@Avsfan, I'm also looking forward to your impressions...of both amps.

sam1000

« Reply #29 on: 27 Jun 2019, 05:28 pm »
I was thinking about a Devialet Expert Pro used.  I see them from time to time.

+1 on Pro model, but if someone wants to get a great deal, the non-pro expert lineup is no slouch either(200, D-premier, 250).

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jun 2019, 05:37 pm »
I have been playing with Class D for some time now and have become a fan, Class D has come a long way. However, I do agree with others that have mentioned they prefer a tube stage in front of it whether it be a hybrid design or a tube preamp.
My personal setup consist of a 2A3/300B tube buffer preamp into a Class D amplifier.
For myself, this type of setup provides exceptional dynamics and authority while still retaining that tube sound I have always enjoyed.
With the right arrangement, Class D can provide great results. This is not to say I dont still enjoy a good all tube system :D

Freo-1

« Reply #31 on: 27 Jun 2019, 06:13 pm »
The Class D amp the convinced me that it could compete was a Yamaha MX-D1.  That amp was well ahead of it's time, and sounded great.

Another Class D amp I liked was the Primare A-34.2 in mono.  Very competitive with the best Class A/B amps.

Both those amps were unique designs, as opposed to off the shelf Class D modules. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jun 2019, 06:15 pm »
I have been playing with Class D for some time now and have become a fan, Class D has come a long way. However, I do agree with others that have mentioned they prefer a tube stage in front of it whether it be a hybrid design or a tube preamp.
My personal setup consist of a 2A3/300B tube buffer preamp into a Class D amplifier.
For myself, this type of setup provides exceptional dynamics and authority while still retaining that tube sound I have always enjoyed.
With the right arrangement, Class D can provide great results. This is not to say I dont still enjoy a good all tube system :D

Agree about tubes up front mine uses a 6H30 input tube. The power supply used in submarines is custom built to manf. spec. which is DEAD quite.

charles

RonN5

« Reply #33 on: 27 Jun 2019, 06:48 pm »
@AvsFan

What source and preamp will you be using?

apple2k

« Reply #34 on: 15 Dec 2019, 07:12 pm »
The Devialet amps sound amazing and I have had very good luck with the Hypex NCore based one, I started with a home build of the NC400s, dead silent and neutral and now have a Nord NC 500 with the input buffers. The Nord is a little warmer sounding than the NC 400 was, just a matter of taste.

The Devialet has an advantage in that it is all one box and the simplicity is really appealing.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #35 on: 16 Dec 2019, 01:26 am »

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #36 on: 16 Dec 2019, 02:06 am »

Actually playing with a pair Orchards now and they sound excellent!! Perhaps a bit leaner than my 1200AS, in particular the bass but very linear overall and I would gladly recommend them to anyone considering the class D route, looking forward to a purifi/orchard comparison next weekend.

Don

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #37 on: 16 Dec 2019, 02:49 am »
Actually playing with a pair Orchards now and they sound excellent!! Perhaps a bit leaner than my 1200AS, in particular the bass but very linear overall and I would gladly recommend them to anyone considering the class D route, looking forward to a purifi/orchard comparison next weekend.

Don

Let us know.

I found the 1200AS more plump in the midbass but the Orchard Audio GaN pulled ahead with tighter midbass and more detail in the midrange and top end than the 1200AS  without sounding forward. In other words, neutral overall with excellent soundstaging and imaging precision to boot similar to my Mod 286. A Mod 686 comparison is forthcoming once I am done building it.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2019, 04:41 pm by poseidonsvoice »

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #38 on: 6 Jan 2020, 05:14 am »
Anand;

Unfortunately a direct comparison wasn't meant to be, the purifi's were built into a complete integrated system which had a very optimized power supply and the orchards came with a basic set up, that said I found the Orchards very engaging from top to bottom which is not unlike the purifi's, I could live with either without question, i'd like to hear the Orchards with a fully tweaked power supply as i'm sure it would sound even better, and it wouldn't hurt if they had a tad bit more power either. In my opinion, and it's only that, and with the new reference Infineon GAN slated to release shortly, I personally wouldn't want to be making/selling any big heavy amplifiers as these new class-d's are sounding fantastic!!

Don

richidoo

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jan 2020, 02:25 pm »
A Mod 686 comparison is forthcoming once I am done building it.

Told ya!  :lol:

Can't wait to see your creation.